fishin

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:06 pm
kickycan wrote:
The world is flat chested.

Fixed your post for you! Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:57 pm
Nanotechnology is when we get computers for grandmothers.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:02 pm
Revolution is violent evolution
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:06 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
You weren't taught that because it's crazy. My point is that the Vatican issued a command that Galileo must stop all discussion of his heliocentric theory and only recently did they apologize for this. It's scary to think that the only reason you were not taught the earth-centric solar system is that there is uncontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

Ah jeez, Galileo has been dead for what? 40? 50 years now? So the Vatican just got around to apologizing for it. It's been pretty busy.

Seriously, what does this have to do with the price of eggs? Are you saying the Vatican was still endorsing the belief the sun revolved around the earth, and only recently changed its mind.

Do you think Galileo cares they apologized? Someone with a stick up their ass about this crap lobbied for this, and big deal, they apologized for something that happened centuries ago, to shut them up.

You're changing the subject....What do you think about the fact 54% of a French audience believe the Sun revolves around the Earth? I think we're doing quite well at a mere 20%.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:12 pm
I make no excuse for the fact that a large portion of the population has the intelligence of a door knob.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:19 pm
I'm not asking for an excuse Mr. Change the Subject.

"the population" the population of which country? The French? Are you saying 54% of the population of France has the intelligence of a doorknob?

The thread started out about how 20% of Americans believe something untrue, but apparantly we're doing a lot better thatn at least one European countries.

If so many people in the US believe the sun/earth thing because of religion, are you saying many more people believe that in France?

I notice no one starts a thread entitle "54% of the French believe the Sun revolves around the Earth" and if there was one, I don't think religion would be listed as a cause.

So, what's the reason all these people from overseas believe this? Surely you must know, since you obviously know why a much smaller percentage of Americans believe this.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:35 pm
You sure do seem angry...

The "population" in general is idiotic.

Obviously I can't speak as to why the French believe this lunacy.

A smaller percentage of Americans is still a larger number of people. :-)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:46 pm
I think this all comes about because at least 50% of all americans are at or below the average amercian IQ.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:43 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
I make no excuse for the fact that a large portion of the population has the intelligence of a door knob.
We need to get a handle on the subject.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:45 pm
farmerman wrote:
Nanotechnology is when we get computers for grandmothers.
Yep and RIM Elderberry's for the ones with walkers.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:55 pm
Eorl wrote:
I think this all comes about because at least 50% of all americans are at or below the average amercian IQ.

Smile
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:00 pm
Even more aghast-ish-ness is that this all comes about because at least 50% of all Americans are at or above the average American IQ.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:12 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
You sure do seem angry...

The "population" in general is idiotic.

Obviously I can't speak as to why the French believe this lunacy.

A smaller percentage of Americans is still a larger number of people. :-)

Not angry at all...just trying to keep you on subject.

however, it's sure fun watching you crawfish.

If you obviously can't speak as to why the French believe this, how can you speak to why Americans do?

Especially after you call the population of the earth in general idiotic.

You like to pick and choose what you know something about. You know the population of the world are mostly idiots, you know why 20% of americans believe something, but can't express why 54% of another population believe something.

I'd still like to see the demographics of this belief, mostly the age factor.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:20 pm
Good point Chumly. (I'm dissappointed no-one took the bait, though.)
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:14 pm
No crawfish here.

I had written a nice long reply, but then I figured it was rather pointless. There is a large population of idiotic people roaming the usa. Walk down the street and ask someone a few general questions about the world, you'll see. Quite often, these people are ignorant because they choose their religion over education and enlightenment.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:00 pm
Chai wrote:
If, according to the totally unscientific fact that 54% of French people sitting in an audience believed the soliel revolved around the terre, does that mean they are much more fanatical about religion than Americans?

I wonder what a scientific analysis of the French would tell you.

You're basing all of this on Who Wants to Be a Millionare. Classic and typical.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:32 pm
lol... is that where it came from???? wow... and he questioned my assertions and the facts behind them... ha
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 09:24 am
maporsche wrote:
Chai wrote:
If, according to the totally unscientific fact that 54% of French people sitting in an audience believed the soliel revolved around the terre, does that mean they are much more fanatical about religion than Americans?

I wonder what a scientific analysis of the French would tell you.

You're basing all of this on Who Wants to Be a Millionare. Classic and typical.

If you bothered to read my prior posts, I realized that clip is an entire joke, and alluded to that. I said it was totally unscientific.

As unscientific as taking data collected for one purpose, connecting lake of knowledge to education level, math skills, study of science and trying to apply them to a total unrelated subject....religion.

I too am wondering what a scientific analysis of the French would tell me. Just as I am wondering what a scientific analysis of American would tell me. If you had bothered to read closely, you would have seen me asking that question.

USAF...I'm not questioning your assertions so much as asking how you are relating them to religion. You clearly up until this point had not watched the clip, which again, I said was obviously unscientific.

My point being....WHY would you assume 54% of the French population believe a fallacy? I don't claim 54% believe this. But...it was presented on a joke clip.

Why then, would you assume Americans believing a fallacy because of religion?

One assumption is as stupid as the other....which, duh....I have been trying to point out.

Can you not connect the dots?

You say Americans believe stupid things because of religion.
You have no proof of that, as the data collected was not for the purpose of comparing beliefs to religion.
You say the fact this information was not collected with the view toward religion does not negate the fact the view the sun revolves around the earth is religion based.

It does not negate it, but it does not proove it either. Apples and organges.

If believing a falicy in this country is religious based, why wouldn't believing the same falicy in another country be religious based?

Apparantly I have to spell it out for you....The clip was to show how ridiculous assuming what people believe is by showing a silly, stupid video. However, there are those out there who WILL truly believe something based on that dumb clip.
The same way some will believe that people believe another falicy, based on some whacked out website taking a scientific study, and applying it to an unrelated situation.

Just like you assumed I believe 54% of the French believe this....talk about classic and typical.

So USA....are you amending your definition of "Population" meaning only the American population? Since you did not say that before, I had to assume you were talking about the world population.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:28 am
I think it is safe to say there are people all over the world that are idiots. I know there are a great number of them here.
0 Replies