speed reading

TM

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 11:26 am
Hello. i didnt know which topic to post this under. and as its a general skill needed for all subjects i thougth general woudl be best.

I have recently been trying to teach myself how to speed read. and i have sucessfully got my reading speed from 184 wpm to 578 wpm with the same amouth of comprehension.

however i have come to a standstill because of a 'popular' problem.

subvocalisation

this is where
a: your throat or mouth moves as your read the page to talk it to yourself.
b: your read with vocies in yoru head. and hear voices reading the text to you.

the second is how most people read. and is a very common problem. that isnt normally seen as subvocalisation. but actually is.
I have not been able to find out how to stop doing it, or how else i am ment to read. just pages tellign me to stop doign it.

so i was wondering if there were any speed readers out there amoung you. and if so how do you read.
also i would be intrested in hearing anyones opinion on this topic.

thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
The second choice is how I read. I unconsciously assign voices to people. It is one of the things I find most humorous and most disappointing when meeting people from the internet. Smile More often then not, the voices I've assigned to them are nothing at all like their real voice. It becomes humorous when the voice types match.

I'm not sure I would enjoy speed reading. I love savoring the words on a page too much. Many times I'll reread paragraphs several times for the visual imagery and emotional content in them.

Do you find yourself feeling as though you've missed something when reading a book via speed reading? Yes, you comprehend the text but are you able to emerse yourself into it as well?
0 Replies

TM

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 04:40 pm
well i have now got myself up to 654 words per min. and i have actually raised my comprehension from 60% to 82%. so its not really speed reading yet. not in modern term. because is till hear the voices in my head.
so in answer to your question i still get really immersed. if not more so as i block out the outside world apart from the book i am reading. speed reading hasnt taken the fun out of reading at all. if anything it has made it more enjoyable. bacuse i read it at a rate that keeps interest up high.
i still read every word when i speed read but i hear when you go to about 2000-9000 words per min you only read what your brain thinks is important.
0 Replies