Number of malpractice cases spikes ... for pets

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:41 am
USA
from the July 28, 2003 edition

Number of malpractice cases spikes ... for pets

Animal owners are suing vets for emotional damages, testing the legal definition of 'pets' as property.

By Chris Richard | Special to The Christian Science Monitor

LOS ANGELES – When attorney Robert Newman lectures at veterinarians' conventions, he brings along his Chihuahua, Ruben. Mr. Newman begins his talk by telling the audience that he paid $23 for Ruben at an animal shelter. Then the little dog trots on stage. Ruben sits, speaks, plays dead, rolls over, gives Newman a high-five.
"Then I pick him up and I ask, 'How many of you believe that if I bring Ruben to you and you do something wrong that results in his death and you give me $23, that you've made me whole? Raise your hands,' " says Newman.
But there's always silence and no one raises their hands, says the attorney. "They know that a fair-market value approach to a companion animal is a joke, an insult."
It used to be that if a pet died on the operating table or was seriously injured due to human carelessness the owner had little legal recourse. Courts typically defined pets as property, and limited damages to the assessed value of the animal.
But that is changing.
For one thing, state legislatures are starting to reform their animal-protection laws. New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Rhode Island are considering legislation granting pet owners the right to sue for pain and suffering damages, including punitive damages for neglect or abuse. Tennessee enacted such a law in 2000 and Illinois passed a version of the law last year. West Virginia has removed caps that once limited damages to the assessed value of a pet.
The trend is part of a growing push to recast pet owners as "guardians" in the eyes of the law, a shift that has some legal scholars worried. Some warn that these specific changes in tort law could bring a wave of frivolous litigation and increases in the price of veterinary care. Others question the move to classify animals as something more than property. Animal-rights activists, on the other hand, welcome such legislation, claiming it might help owners recover substantial damages.

What is your opinion have the lawyers in this litigious society of ours found another soft underbelly?

http://csmonitor.com/2003/0728/p02s01-usgn.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,685 • Replies: 21
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
I can see the desire to push the "pets are more than just property" side of this but from a strictly legal perspective I don't see how any reasonable laws or awards could be made. How do we quantify "pain and suffering" in a pet that can't communicate or quantify that pain or suffering? Is the pet in a lot of pain oif the pet's "guardian" says it is?

We have a hard enough time quantifying human pain and suffering. Trying to do the same for a species that can't communicate their thoughts just creates a system ripe for major abuse.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:58 pm
Oy, this is a can of worms. Here are a few scenarios.

A is a seeing-eye dog, who is killed. The circumstances don't matter; we're going to assume whatever other party there is, is fully, 100% responsible. What's the value? The seeing-eye dog is probably a purebred (hence, a puppy costs a few hundred, sometimes as much as a grand). Plus there's training, which is estimated at being a few hundred or as much as a grand. Plus the change in the blind person's quality of life - should that be included? If I'm the blind person's lawyer, I'm absolutely going to argue that their relationship with A was so special that there can never be another equivalent replacement. If I'm the other party's lawyer, I'm going to claim that there would inevitably have been a time when A would have died and another seeing-eye dog would have been obtained. But is there less value if "property" isn't permanent?

B is not a qualified dog in any manner, but has learned when her master has seizures. With no training whatsoever, B has become a seizure-alert dog (yes, this happens; dogs sometimes figure this out on their own). B is killed. What's B's value? Let's also say B was a mixed-breed, worth perhaps $25 at a shelter. She had no training. But the diminishment in quality of life for her owner is as bad if not worse than for A's owner. After all, it's a lot harder to train a seizure-alert dog. Can you replace B?

C is a police dog who sniffs drugs or fire accelerants or looks for missing persons or the like. C is also killed. Again, there are training costs. There may or may not be actual costs for the dog - many police dogs are shelter rescues. But what about the loss to society? Isn't this (for lack of a more compassionate term) piece of equipment of value? How readily can C be replaced?

Now let's look at D. D's a family pet, loved and cared for like millions of dogs in the world. D isn't a hero or therapy dog. D is a mixed breed, like B. D sleeps in the bed and begs at the table and pulls at the leash and does a myriad of regular dog-like things. Now D is killed. But here's a twist - D's owner commits suicide because of the loss. What are the damages? What's the value? Is the value just in the loss of a $25 "object"? Or is there something more there?

I don't profess to know the answers here. This is a very complex area of the law. Many states are beginning to recognize a difference between dogs and nonliving chattel, such as automobiles. I say it's about time, but I do sometimes wonder where the line should be drawn.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 04:55 pm
jespah

The line is drawn at whatever the traffic will bear. If this becomes law the insurance rates for veterinarians will sky rocket along with cost of services. Who will end up being the loser, the pet owners.
What about cats? For us cat lovers they are just as precious as dogs. In fact more so.
In this nation we seem to ever expanding the reasons to bring suite.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 07:37 pm
Au - The costs are already happening. I was talking with a friend last night and apparently her dog has bone cancer in it's lower jaw. The vet told her that they needed to do a biopsy which means putting the dog under and surgically removing a piece of the jawbone.

To do this the vet wanted 75% of the total cost for the surgery up front and all her prior bills had to be paid in full (because the vet is afraid that if the dog dies during surgery the bill will never be paid.. and this is standard policy for everyone. It doesn't matter what you credit rating is or how much money you have..). At this point she is planning on going through with the biopsy but they've alreday told her that if the tests come back positive they'll have to remove the dogs entire bottom jaw.

That surgery will run her alomost $5000 if it's needed and again, she has to come up with 75% up front.

Teh result of this is that she has already made the decision that this dog she's had for 12 years and treated like her own child is "just a dog". If the tests come back positive she'll put the dog to sleep to aviod the costs of additional surgery.

As costs keep going up for pet care more and more people will just have their pets put to sleep instead of taking better care of them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:54 pm
fishin, the pet's death causes the owner pain and suffering.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:02 pm
If that's the case lil k then it's a standard we currently don't even allow for humans. You can't sue for someone else's pain and suffering, you can only sue for your own. The old laws that allowed you to sue for loss of compainship are pretty much gone nowadays too.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:20 pm
I should clarify that because it doesn't sound right! lol

What I meant was you can't sue for YOUR pain and suffering as a result of events that happened to another person.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:50 pm
I understood - good point.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:29 am
in states with no-fault auto insurance you can indeed sue for your pain and suffering related to someone else's accident. it's a pain in the patootie, but it's the way things have gone. you can also get psychological treatment as a result of trauma someone else suffered in a car accident. another pain. <<sigh>>

it's not that enormous a jump to claiming for human suffering relating to loss of an animal.

it's not that long ago that california changed their law in re pet ownership to change the terminology to guardian.

not sure how i feel about it, but i see the changes coming across my desk.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:35 am
California. Maybe this coincides with someone's throwing a lady's little dog into freeway traffic a year or so ago.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:46 am
ehBeth wrote:
in states with no-fault auto insurance you can indeed sue for your pain and suffering related to someone else's accident. it's a pain in the patootie, but it's the way things have gone. you can also get psychological treatment as a result of trauma someone else suffered in a car accident. another pain. <<sigh>>

So if you get in a car accident I can sue for pain and suffering because I feel badly about it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:57 am
Yup. And if my insured is at fault, I get to explain the size of the stinkin' cheque to my v.p. Evil or Very Mad Sometimes I really hate U.S. lawyers.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 11:09 am
Shocked Wow! I'm going to start filing lawsuits all over the place then. I feel badly for lots of people. Wink

<maybe I'll see some accidents on my way home from work today! woohoo! lol>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 01:54 pm
good gawd - you're going to witness the accident? there's money in that too!

i've got a claim for treatment right now for people who didn't see an accident, weren't in an accident, but heard about it! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:53 pm
That almost reminds me of people when they see a city bus accident enter by the back door lay down on the floor and claim that they were hurt in it. Believe me it happens.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:36 pm
ehBeth wrote:
i've got a claim for treatment right now for people who didn't see an accident, weren't in an accident, but heard about it! Rolling Eyes

Maybe we'll all be lucky and people like that will all die from excessive paper cuts while they are filling out the paperwork. What a con job!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:44 pm
Damn.

Whatever the other ramifications, I am very worried about the effect such a decision could have on the cost of veterinary care, especially as the standard of care for companion animals is changing very rapidly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:22 pm
I think we've already seen the cost of vet services go up, in anticipation of these lawsuits beginning to settle.

I'll see if I can find something on LawDesk (when I get back) on this subject.
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:23 pm
Rescued kittens were treated by a wonderful rescue group, fees paid by the group.

My argument was the animals were born wild, receiving plenty of disease fighting genes from their mom, plus thier immune systems were not being helped by weekly boosters for any number of diseases they'd probably never contact. They agreed and changed their policy. Good people.

Just as we research treatment from a medical doctor for ourselves and our kids, we should also be vigilent regarding who our companion animals are treated by. There are many excellent vets, but there are some vets that overmedicate and perform unnecessary procedures simply because the can.
0 Replies