CDobyns

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:31 am
Have been attempting to transfer some files the easy way (or so I thought), using the Direct Cable Connection method, between a Latitude D600 running Windows XP and a Thinkpad 600E running WIndows 98. Am running the Thinkpad as the Host and the Latitude at the Guest.

Can seemingly make the connection okay, and can even get the two computers to initiate the connection, but after verifying, the Guest (Latitude) dialog box displays that it is Registering the computer on your network . . . Then it just runs and runs, until it timesout with a 718 error code (I think).

Not sure what's going on, since I'm somewhat less familiar with Windows XP. It seems like the connection I need is only just a fractional distance out-of-reach. Just not sure why the Guest doesn't just register the Host and then I'm assuming that Shared folders will simply show up on the Guest output from Windows Explorer - and then the, "may the file transfer fun begin!".

Suggestions on what's going awry?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 591 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:46 pm
Just an idea; when upgrading computers over the years, I have found that the newest operating system likes to take control. Make XP the Host.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 07:35 pm
That's a novel idea. But if I'm trying to transfer files from the older computer, which would act as the Host, to the newer computer that would necessarily need be play the part of the Guest, I'm not sure this idea gets me where I need to go.

Other ideas from the collective audience?
0 Replies