Compressed Air Engine

Pitter

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 06:42 am
Speaking of India I read they are going to roll out a small taxi there that has an engine operated completely on compressed air.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,116 • Replies: 1
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 02:00 pm
This idea has been around for a long time - there used to be "fireless" compressed-air locomotives for use in mines or plants where inflammable or explosive materials were used. They had a compressed air tank driving a reciprocating engine. Also the French inventor Mekarski developed a compressed air engine for tramcars (streetcars) which was used in Nantes for 31 years from 1880, after which electric traction was used.

I don't know about energy efficiency -The idea was tried on the Wantage Tramway in England, but was abandoned when they found the air compresing plant used 4 times as much coal as a steam locomotive. Electric traction would use even less coal than a steam loco.

I would think the weight of the tank would be a problem for a smaller vehicle such as a car, but I guess the Indians have got around that. In a short range city car that may not be such a problem.
0 Replies