Driveway sealing: How long should it last?

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:04 pm
Mr. Noddy has a weak spot for people who knock on the door and say, "We're in your neighborhood doing some work and rather than cart our equipment all the way back to ________, we'll be glad to do your driveway For A Price.

I'm weary of what I consider to be inept jobs by these men.

This summer I'm getting estimates and bits from local people who advertise in the local papers.

I'm in the Poconos. Typical winters mean months of freezing and thawing, snow and thawing, icy rain and thawing. In my experience, a sealing job should last for at least three years. Am I being unrealistic?

Also, can anyone give me a rule-of-thumb, cost per square foot? According to my records we've paid as little as $300 and as much as $950 (a particularly unsatisfactory job)

The driveway is 20 feet wide and about 120 feet long.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,493 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:22 pm
glancing at the lowe's website, it says every 2 to 3 years.

In a place with winter weather, I'd say every 2.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:35 pm
Re: Driveway sealing: How long should it last?
Noddy24 wrote:
Mr. Noddy has a weak spot for people who knock on the door and say, "We're in your neighborhood doing some work and rather than cart our equipment all the way back to ________, we'll be glad to do your driveway For A Price.

I'm weary of what I consider to be inept jobs by these men.

You should be. They are con-artists. No reputable business uses those tactics.

Quote:
This summer I'm getting estimates and bits from local people who advertise in the local papers.

I'm in the Poconos. Typical winters mean months of freezing and thawing, snow and thawing, icy rain and thawing. In my experience, a sealing job should last for at least three years. Am I being unrealistic?

3 years is the maximum I'd expect and that's with a top quality product. In your area I'd guess that tyou'd be lucky to get 2 years.

Quote:
Also, can anyone give me a rule-of-thumb, cost per square foot? According to my records we've paid as little as $300 and as much as $950 (a particularly unsatisfactory job)

The driveway is 20 feet wide and about 120 feet long.

Cost is a total crapshoot. If you bought the sealer at Lowes yourself you'd need 8 cans for a total cost of ~$135 + applicators, etc... So it's a $200 job to do it yourself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
Quote:

Not only are they con artists, but there are bands of these scalawags who travel around the country looking to fleece suckers. They especially like to target older people. In most cases their "sealant" washes off with the first heavy rain.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_n7_v63/ai_15658023
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:28 am
Chai--

Thanks for the research. Mr. Noddy accepts Lowe's as An Authority.

Fishin--

At least our "in the area" guys came with stationery and trucks with logos--although I intercepted a guy with a magnetic slap-on, peel-off logo.

Phoenix--

Do you want to swap my Man With Some Peculiar Notions for your Man with Some Peculiar Notions? A change is as good as a rest.

Update.

I got a list of local contractors from the Handyman Classified Section of the local newspaper.

No, I can't call for estimates. Calling for estimates is Manly Work which must be done by a Manly Man. Fortunately we're early in the summer.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:44 am
What would we do without our Manly Men?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:20 am
Chai--

Quote:
Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking
What a fine world this would be
If the men were all transported
Far beyond the Northern Sea!

Rachel, Rachel, I've been thinking
What a fine world this would be
If the girls were all transported
Far beyond the Northern Sea!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:22 am
Hey, I remember that song!

Noddy, don't you have something better to do, like knit a sweater or bake biscuts?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:31 am
Chai--

Unfortunately because of the realities of mental decline I spend a great deal of my day in Rapt Admiration. Rapt Admiration is not one of my natural gifts.

Of course I am delighted that the bathroom faucet no longer drips and the grit has been cleared from the cold water hose on the washing machine. (We had a power outage last week and when the electric pump starts up again it goes varooom and the grit goes with the flow.)
0 Replies