shewolfnm

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:00 pm
Surprised

I never knew..

I feel so.. DE-prived
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:17 pm
Of course, 60 lashes amounts to a death sentence - just a bit slower than hanging
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:21 pm
Where is Lash by the way?

sorry this is a seriouse topic I know.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:39 am
I once asked a (strong, feisty) female Muslim fellow-worker why there was so much emphasis on women protecting men from "temptation" in her religion & culture. Her response: because they're completely stupid & have no self control! (I think she half had her tongue in her cheek! :wink: ) But having had lots of personal contact with Muslims in workplaces & in my own community, I think I can safely say that I haven't come across any who'd approve of this young girl's punishment. This is extremist, fundamentalist stuff that many would find distressing & embarrassing.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:11 am
msolga wrote:
Her response: because they're completely stupid & have no self control!
Muslim men are. Get the virulent infection of Islam out of their head and they might recover.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 11:30 am
dadpad wrote:

It's what they call it when someone's whipped. One lash is being hit by the whip once.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 11:47 am
BlueAwesomeness wrote:
dadpad wrote:

It's what they call it when someone's whipped. One lash is being hit by the whip once.
Don't know if you realize this, but Lash is the name of a respected and dignified member of a2k. Smile
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
neologist wrote:
BlueAwesomeness wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Don't know if you realize this, but Lash is the name of a respected and dignified member of a2k. Smile

Yeah, I thought they said "what is lash." (Not where.) Now I'm just confused. I guess that would make more sense. Thanks!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:28 pm
Lash is just off tending to his wet noodle. I'm sure he'll emerge soon.
0 Replies

annoyed111

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 01:47 am
Many teenage girls are dirty sluts now. Good for her. I'm sick of girls like her! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:00 am
material girl wrote:
I thought religion was about love.

When you're alone on a desert island, religion is about love. But when you're in a church, religion is about power and control.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:40 am
Re: Girl to receive 60 lashes for illicit sex
Wilso wrote:

Another example of that wonderful peaceful religion? Rolling Eyes

Another example of displacing responsibility!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:48 am
And just who should that responsibility be on?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:03 am
Wilso wrote:

Always - the person(s) involved. Not the religion, political affiliation, job description, et al.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:00 am
baddog1 wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Always - the person(s) involved. Not the religion, political affiliation, job description, et al.

Hi BD, in general I agree with you that responsibility should reside primarily with individuals for their actions.

However in this case, its not an individual who is doing something, it's the law which is taking what (by our standards) is an unreasonable action. And that law is a direct derivation of their religous culture, so I think it's reasonable to place the responsibility for the action on the religion, or at least the laws (which are derived from the religion).
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:32 am
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Hi BD, in general I agree with you that responsibility should reside primarily with individuals for their actions.

However in this case, its not an individual who is doing something, it's the law which is taking what (by our standards) is an unreasonable action. And that law is a direct derivation of their religous culture, so I think it's reasonable to place the responsibility for the action on the religion, or at least the laws (which are derived from the religion).

Hi ros:

I clearly agree with your (and wilso's) point about the unreasonable law. I still believe that the man is ultimately responsible though; regardless of the culture/law/etc. He took advantage of a youth to satisfy his own desires and did so with [presumably] full knowledge of the law and the potential consequences he might face. In other words - the risk was worth the reward for him.

However, there are many who live in the same culture who have not and would not do what this man did, regardless of what the law allows.

Bottom line: There are criminals in all cultures.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:37 am
baddog1 wrote:
I clearly agree with your (and wilso's) point about the unreasonable law. I still believe that the man is ultimately responsible though; regardless of the culture/law/etc. He took advantage of a youth to satisfy his own desires and did so with [presumably] full knowledge of the law and the potential consequences he might face. In other words - the risk was worth the reward for him.

I think most of us here are objecting to the girl's punishment, not the guy's.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:53 am
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

I think most of us here are objecting to the girl's punishment, not the guy's.

I object to both. She should not have been punished at all - he should be relieved of a couple of testicles.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 10:48 am
baddog1 wrote:

However, there are many who live in the same culture who have not and would not do what this man did, regardless of what the law allows.

Bottom line: There are criminals in all cultures.

The problem is that because of the religion / law he was NOT punished and that he likely knew that he wouldn't be punished and that the girl would be because of the religious law. The laws are just as wrong as the man.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 10:50 am
I thought he got 6 months in prison.

I think the idea of punishing people for having sex is absurd in any culture or religion.
0 Replies