Montana

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:44 am
Is that the password you PMed me?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:53 am
This one is too good to pass up. Laughing
OGIONIK
It seems you sure have a lot of problems with the police.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:03 am
Montana wrote:
Is that the password you PMed me?

yeah....later on I'm gonna pretend to be her on the parenting forum.

that should be a lot of fun.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:12 am
They are going to put seat belts on school buses here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:17 am
They should put them on toilets too.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:35 am
cjhsa
Do you often find yourself falling off the toilet.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:38 am
No, but I have launched myself upwards a few times.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:43 am
Now that is too funny Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:13 pm
Re: Seat belt SCAM
jclbiz wrote:
Anyone know the real reason behind this? Obviously it is "extortion" under color of law, its a great source of 'revenue' for the criminals that we call Gov. Also a serious violation of our 4th amd. rights. Did we waive that right when we signed the adhesion contract "aka as the drivers license? Do the "corp" states own the insur. co's and theirby have a vested interest "since they incorporate co's in their juristdiction"? So as to reduce their "payout"? Double fines in cone zones? Oh yes!!!! I know, its all in the name of public saftey. Question

You have a right to be free of unreasonable government intrusions. Are seat belt laws an unreasonable government intrusion into your private life? Not if seat belt laws are rationally related to a legitimate government interest.

People who don't wear seatbelts are more likely than those who do wear seatbelts to suffer injuries or catastrophic injuries in vehicular accidents/crashes. People who suffer catastophic injuries are unlikely to have enough money and/or insurance to pay the costs involved. The State doesn't want you and/or your family to become a drain on the public purse due to your injuries when those injuries may have been prevented if you wore a seatbelt. Seat belt laws are rationally related to a legitimate government interest in minimizing the numbers of persons/families who become public wards due to vehicular accidents/crashes.

Similarly, the State has a legitimate interest in the safety of road crews. Accordingly, it is rational and reasonable for the State to reduce the speed limit in road construction zones and subject violators to enhanced fines. Why would anyone think they should have the "right" to barrel through a road construction zone at a speed that endangers the safety and lives of road workers?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:24 pm
Otherwise, the taxpayers don't want to pay your hospital bills when you can't pay for it and wearing seat belts cuts down the cost because per statistics you are more likely to end up with injuries not wearing a seat belt as opposed to wearing one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 07:09 am
Montana- I know that I have told this story before, but it bears repeating. It has certainly left a lasting impression on me. Some years ago, I was in a minor accident. When I went to the collision place, the owner said he wanted to show me something.

First he showed me a car that had been totaled. It must have been an accident with multiple vehicles, because the car was crushed in the front and the back. It was a serious mess.The man said that the guy in the car, who was wearing a seat belt, walked away from the accident, with nary a scratch.

Then he showed me another car, which looked perfect.................................except for the hole in the windshield, on the driver's side. They carried this guy away, in a body bag.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 07:28 am
The only person to survive Diana's crash was wearing a seat belt!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:41 am
You guys are a pain in the butt Laughing

Thanks for the pep talk and I'll give it some thought. I'm going into the city today, so the belt goes on. <sigh>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:00 am
Of course, as long as people won't wear their seatbelts I'll have a job working on catastrophic claims.

<shrug>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:21 am
I see the need for the seatbelt and helmet laws (as Deb pointed out) but I still think they screw with the natural order of things. You want to drive 75 mph on the freeway on a cycle with no helmet? Go for it. Kill yourself, you big dummy.

But that's just me. Surprised
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:41 am
I have an older German car. The manual refers to these things as "der klickity klacken fraulein holders".
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:38 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I see the need for the seatbelt and helmet laws (as Deb pointed out) but I still think they screw with the natural order of things. You want to drive 75 mph on the freeway on a cycle with no helmet? Go for it. Kill yourself, you big dummy.

The problem with the speeding is they just might kill you or someone you know. That speeding motorcycle might be the cause of an accident and not necessarily be involved in it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
TTH wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

The problem with the speeding is they just might kill you or someone you know. That speeding motorcycle might be the cause of an accident and not necessarily be involved in it.

What does speeding have anything to do with wearing a seatbelt?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:45 pm
You tell me since you put it in the same post.

However, speed can determine how far someone (not wearing their seat belt) is ejected through that windshield
or gets ejected out the side window or even back window or how about propelled over the seat and break their neck and
you (not literally) are the one who happens not to be wearing your seat belt. Just another statistic.

Better yet (not really) how about a speeding motorcyclist, who is not wearing a helmet and causes 2 vehicles to collide, and the occupant of
that car is not wearing a seat belt like in the scenerio above.
0 Replies