you are what you eat

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:01 pm
bouncing off another topic I was thinking about the places we like to eat. Yesterday we had a very nice meal at an Italian grill and last week we ate at a local new mexican (Calico Cafe) where the veggies (as if they were picked from the garden out back and prepared perfectly as we walked in) were to die for and, of course, Indigo Crow, my very favorite in Corrales. The thing is all these places are locally owned and operated (at Vivace we ate seated next to the owner and complained that it was too cold and he got up and turned down the AC) It's really not a matter of what the food is (vegan/vegatarian/seafood/steak house) etc it's really just a matter of environment/service and quality of food/preparation.
On the other hand, I suppose one could eat at the Outback (or any other major chain) and enjoy it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,931 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:10 pm
Depends on the chain.

I had an ok-ish omelet with some a2kers in a quick-meet in Seattle several years ago, at.... ta dah, Denny's. It worked for us, and we're all decent cooks.

But of course I get your point. I like locally owned as well.

We were talking about interstates being taken over by chains...

that is why I like highway 101 in California as opposed to the speedathon highway 5. No place I want to stop at, on 5.

On 101, I could work up a good list.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:18 pm
In my home town (Pueblo Colorado) there were 2 favorites--Passkeys which was a local family run cafe that made their own pork sausage grinders and Magdelenas which was a very small cafe that had no front door (they chopped a hole in the wall of the Italian bar next door) they shopped every morning at the local farmers market and based their menu of what was fresh and then wrote out in pencil their menu for the day (2 copies) so that when you came in you had to wait your turn to get a menu.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:20 am
Abuelitas... in Corrales..

I think that is how it is spelled..

Still around?

I used to love that place.
Not so much for the food... but the little building, the people.
It was just like alot of small restaurants in Mexico. Most of the times, the families lived right in the back of the restaurant. You could peek into their homes as they walked in and out of the kitchen. Their children were always around and sometimes, it felt as though you were eating in their own kitchen, and not in a restaurant.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:33 am
I am an asiago cheese bagel.

Well, I do feel sort of round and cheesy some times..... Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:42 am
El cheapo ethnic eateries every time for me! Preferably when they're still new & not starting to get a bit tired. Doesn't matter whether it's African, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Cambodian, Hungarian, Jewish or whatever .... Doesn't matter about the decore. It's the great food!
0 Replies