Have you ever traveled by the "SHIP"?

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:06 pm
I hope to travel by the ship.
when I said it to my friends they were laugh.
because they think that is slow and inefficient.
but I think that is wonderful thing. Very Happy
I can make friend in ship and I can see really really wide sea.
I know maybe sleeping place and etc. will be uncomfortable.
Please tell me your opinion.
thanks!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,032 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:28 pm
I have travelled in ships in Japan. I did not like it much because I was afraid of the sharks that I saw in the water (I was a kid) but the sleeping arangements were great (assuming you can get used to the roll of the ship).

I have travelled on ocean freight carriers as well. It's a cheap way to get from one country to another. Plus you get to play stowaway.

It's kinda slow though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:50 pm
Catelina, If you enjoy leisure, good food and enterntainment, you will enjoy ships. I even cruised from Moscow to St Petersburg several years ago. If you are prone to seasickness, you can get medications or wrist bands that help prevent sea sickness. Many cruises even have midnight snacks, and excercise rooms. Wink My last cruise was on a small yacht two months ago to the Galapagos Islands. The previous cruise was in December of last year to South America from Valparaiso around Cape Horn up to Buenos Aires. I enjoy cruises for several reasons. They are comfortable, you can enjoy good food, it's very relaxing, and the visits to the different ports are always interesting. If you have any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them. c.i.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:06 am
I've taken ferries between Hokkaido & Tokyo, and I've been up & down Russia's Ob river. I don't get seasick easily so it was nice, but yeah much slower than I'm used to travelling. No problem with sleeping at all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:18 am
I like travelling on a ship, even if it's just a ferry.

Next week it will be a river cruise on the Thames again (well, just a ride of about two hours).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:07 am
Dont like em cause Im idle. Its an unnatural state unles your workin the ship. I like Windjammer cruises and piloting, just feel that cruises are ok for the physically challenged. I feel like a veal on a big boat. Often we do off shore seismic, thats a hoot, a boat less than 250 feet , everybody busy, no made up games to keep you from a mutiny. everybody speaks a common language.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:47 am
My experience comes with serving aboard a U. S. detroyer, a ship 40 ft. wide and 250 ft. long. I used to love it on the open sea. Of course, being in the military, I had no reason for hurry, so I could enjoy the simple act of being there, for interminible lengths of time, standing on the fantail, for instance, and simply watching the water roll and counting the whales, sharks, etc. My one unpleasant experience was watching a Lt.jg take a rifle and shoot at as many sharks as possible. I tended to feel seasick, for my quarters were where the pitch and roll of the ship was most pronounced. I discovered that if I drank precisely three 12 oz. beers the night before we sailed I would not get sick. And, although a destroyer can sink in 60 seconds if hit right in a typhoon, I feel much safer there than in a plane high above the clouds.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:42 am
I did the Boston-Bermuda run and was very sick the first day. After that adjustment though I found it was very relaxing and could tell which areas of the ship not to spend a great deal of time in. I would certainly travel by ship over plane as I dont do planes well at all. The sleeping on the ship was great, no trouble at all. Getting back on land though was a bit off and takes some time to wear off.
We have commuter ferrys and I have though it would be interesting to try them out.
Theres also a catamaran high speed ferry that does Nova Scotia I thought would be an interesting trip.
0 Replies

Catelina-9734

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:01 pm
Thank you for your replies.
I thought sleeping place is uncomfortable in ship.
because one day I met a marine in chatting room.
I said to him "I want to travel by ship."
he said to me "sleeping place is not comfortable."
and he wanted to walk on land.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:54 pm
I believe there's a big difference between a military ship and a cruise ship in bedding accommodations - and everything else. c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 12:38 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I believe there's a big difference between a military ship and a cruise ship in bedding accommodations - and everything else. c.i.

Hmm.

Since I've been on both, and actually spent more time on a warship than a civil, let me think ... ... you might be right!

(However, the passenger:crew relation is much, much better! Laughing )
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 02:07 pm
Apart from cruise lines, which I think are very boring, I've sailed on a tall ship from Darwin to Singapore, and from the Maldives across the Indian Ocean to Aden, South Yemen (from where I was deported), and up the Red Sea to Egypt.

I've also done some sailing along the east coast of Australia.

I just love being at sea, especially sailing, at night, no sound but the sails, the stars are unbelievable (if you normally live in cities!), no pollution.

Of course, you have to get over the seasickness thing -( I've thrown up in most oceans of the world Confused ) - my low point was getting sick in a pedal boat in the Mediterranean (really!). We hit the tail of a cyclone leaving Darwin, and I was sick to passing out stage for 3 days. Sad Nothing I've found so far works to counter my seasickness.

The accommodation depends on the type of ship, and your reason for being there. e.g. crew quarters on cruise liners will be much less comfortable than passenger cabins.

My experiences have been all good (except for the seasickness) - but then, I do it for fun. I'd be out there again if I could!
0 Replies