Winantivirus Blues

snood

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 04:46 am
I got some craps called "Winantivirus Pro" and "Drivecleaner" that started as an unsought ad for software to remove yuckware - and I paid money for it, but it acts like yuck ware itself. I've tried to remove it by going into Control Panel & 'add and remove programs', but it isn't even listed as a program. It comes up automatically when I startup. I tried to remove it by using the 'search' function, but it doesn't even come up in the search.

Anyone ever had any experience with something called 'Winantivirus'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 887 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:49 am
Whoops! I had never heard of it before, but when I checked:

http://www.spywareguide.com/spydet_2731_winantivirus.html

http://www.spywareguide.com/category_show.php?id=43

Quote:
Category: Miscellaneous Security
Explanation: These are usually anti-spyware or security software applications that use various forms of deception and/or unethical means or show a history of negligent false positives to goad the end user to make a purchase.

In some cases these applications maybe downloaded with some form of unwanted software at which point the rogue application is offered to the customer as a way to remove the unwanted software.
Products: See full list of of products in this category
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:55 am
Thanks. If you run across a way to remove it, lemme know.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:55 am
I have an uneasy gut feeling about this....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:03 am
First goto Add/Remove programs and uninstall this: DriveCleaner Free 1.0.82.0 or any related program.
Look also in add/remove programs for Winantivirus Pro

Make sure the below two folder are deleted after the uninstall:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DRIVECLEANER FREE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\DriveCleaner Free

After that run timbers yuckware removal thread.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2532941#2532941
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:45 am
bm
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:32 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Know what, dude? You probably really couldn't give less of a **** about it, but I have a real booger of a virusware I want to shed here. I enjoy playing "gotcha" as well as most people - almost as much even as you. But if you can sheath your rapier halfass wit just for a momo, I promise to get back to fun with BiPolar-and-his-big-badass/goodoleboy games directly, 'kay?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:34 pm
dadpad wrote:
First goto Add/Remove programs and uninstall this: DriveCleaner Free 1.0.82.0 or any related program.
Look also in add/remove programs for Winantivirus Pro

Make sure the below two folder are deleted after the uninstall:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DRIVECLEANER FREE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\DriveCleaner Free

After that run timbers yuckware removal thread.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2532941#2532941

Drivecleaner doesn't come up in the add/remove programs list as a choice of programs to remove. It doesn't appear at all.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:39 pm
sorry snood you did say that it wasn't in add/remove and I didn't read the whole thing.

Have you run Timbers yuckware removal thread? It look pretty involved and lenghty but is actually quite simple.

Below is a link to a similar yuckware removal thread. It has the advantage of being supported by some very knowledgable people
I have used this forum several times and reccomend it for your problems.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:13 pm
Well, Timber's post detailing a method for thorough removal has 38 or so steps and at least 10 seperate downloads and installs. Not what I call "simple". I did install and run his superantispyware, and that works great for other things, but nothing I've seen yet can touch this winantivirus crap.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:05 pm
A lot of the Yuck ware removal proceedures are designed to get rid of the most common forms of infections and crap so that someone who does know what they are doing can see whats going on.

You dont have to do the removal threads if you dont want to. I just know it will go along way to solving you problem.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:27 pm
Snoodles,

Download esaycleaner it's freeware and as you may or may not know windows "add or remove programs" does not show all programs whereas easycleaner will show all programs and allow you to delete them too. Also esaycleaner has a series of other functions to clean the registry etc.

Download crapcleaner it's also freeware and as you may or may not know windows leaves a lot of junk behind as it progresses through it lifespan.

Spybot & Ad-Aware both also freeware can help with malware removal and as such are also useful.

For virus protection I recommend Avast! it's also freeware.

The above five programs constitute the backbone of my maintenance and they perform exceedingly well, are dead simple to use and are as good as, if not better than any other freeware or paid program.

Get rid of all your other antivirus and spy ware and maintenance programs (except Windows firewall) you will not need anything else except maybe Window Washer, but it's a paid program albeit a very good and inexpensive one.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:25 am
It looks like the ad-aware might've done the trick. Forever indebted (or at least until the next time you flame at me Laughing ), Chumly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:49 pm
Cool!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:56 pm
snood wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Know what, dude? You probably really couldn't give less of a **** about it, but I have a real booger of a virusware I want to shed here. I enjoy playing "gotcha" as well as most people - almost as much even as you. But if you can sheath your rapier halfass wit just for a momo, I promise to get back to fun with BiPolar-and-his-big-badass/goodoleboy games directly, 'kay?

stop chasing me around with the same rapier like wit on exactly the same subject and we'll have a deal. 'kay?

And you're right I could give a **** less about someone who gets a bunch of crap on his computerbecause he's a breathing example that PT Barnum was right.... that upfront enough for you?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
Ooooooh, that was a vicious slam.

Snood, I really, REALLY hope you aren't going to take that ****.

Kick his ass!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:03 pm
just mind your business kicky...... or I'll tell mom.... he started it....
0 Replies