Bump on the front tire rim

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:50 pm
Hi so I have a friend who turned and hit the the curb and it bumped the rim and tire a bit leaving a minor scratch mark. I was just wondering if this is something to worry about e.g. affect it's driving on the highway. Heard screeches while driving on the highway. I said it was nothing at first. What are your opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 977 • Replies: 2
No top replies

username

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 10:35 pm
Am I reading you right, that the scrach mark is on the metal rim, not the tire? If on the rim, and it's minor, there's probably no problem. If he hit it hard, he could bend the rim, but you'd feel that when you hit high speed you'd get more vibration than before. If he hit the tire and you get a bubble in the sidewall (run the flat of your hand around the sidewall and see if it feels like a bulge where he hit), then that's a place of weakness where the tire can blow out, and you should replace the tire. Very soon.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 10:55 pm
If you can hear screeches while driving after a bump like that, it is probably nothing to do with a mark on the tyre, but you should get the steering geometry checked.
0 Replies