Identification required please

Dutchy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:21 am
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1082/winchesterlincolnjune20yl1.jpg

This old tile is set into a garden wall of a converted Coach House in Lincoln, UK. It appears to be a Victorian (?) gentleman with fairly pointed features, a tall top hat and a long, well groomed moustache. I would like to know who this person/character is and wonder if anyone here can identify it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,454 • Replies: 14
No top replies

bigredsshop

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:37 am
No luck yet But I will continue later.
I've taken a ouick peek for you but no luck yet.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 05:03 am
I would suggest you check with the local historical society. They often keep records that would identify such a person. Your gentleman might have been a local land owner or businessman, but not anyone famous outside of the neighborhood.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:10 am
Thank you bigredsshop and Green Witch for your interest. We have a person in the UK following up on this one but sofar without success.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:10 am
dutchy it reminds me of an advert. Some food I feel I've seen in the past here in OZ.

John Bull oats????

Its just a feeling that might help jog someones memory.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 02:48 pm
Hi Dadpad, you know I have been thinking along the same lines, I've seen an advert. also down here, but thought it was about chocolate? Just cannot place it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 02:54 pm
That reminds me of a painting of Toulouse-Lautrec

http://www.coloradocollege.edu/Publications/thebulletin/spring97/Cover.jpeg
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 02:58 pm
Hi CalamityJane , thanks so much for your input, I think we are onto something here, will get in touch with my contact in the UK and will report back in due course.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:44 pm
Maybe it is not a specific person or character, but just a generic representation of a well-to-do gentleman
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:09 pm
The T-L link looks very promising.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:14 pm
Hopefully some one with local knowledge may thrown some light on the history of the plaque in coming days, will report the verdict, once known.
0 Replies

bigredsshop

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:25 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
The T-L link looks very promising.

I am in agreement with you Noddy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:53 pm
T-L sometimes used his friend Henri Fourcade as a model in his posters and paintings.

http://www.henri-de-toulouse-lautrec.info/images/paintings/groot/235.jpg

Quote:
The image brings out the subtle psychological tensions which Lautrec often sensed in theatre audiences. Seated together in a loge, the man and woman seem to be in two different worlds: she follows the performance with program in hand, he appears lost in a melancholy reverie. The pair are reminiscent of Jane Avril and the critic Edouard Dujardin in the poster Divan Japonais although the actual models were probably the actress Emilienne d'Alençon and the banker Henri Fourcade.
source including another image of Fourcade
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:58 pm
Thank you JBD, I think we're heading in the right direction, all that remains now is the history of the plaque, and as I stated someone with local knowledge will visit the site in coming days.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:09 pm
I would think that if the tile were a plague in praise of some local there would be some text.
0 Replies