$54 Million Pants Suit

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:47 am
He does have the right to appeal, so I would guess he will do so. I don't seriously see him getting anywhere with it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:09 am
edgarblythe wrote:
He does have the right to appeal, so I would guess he will do so. I don't seriously see him getting anywhere with it.
I don't either. I can't imagine what his real motive is (obviously money) but he will not likely get it that way. Maybe he will write a book. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:32 pm
Loser of pants, $54 million lawsuit files appeal
Dry cleaner withdrew demand for legal fees but customer still not satisfied

Updated: 7:10 p.m. CT Aug 14, 2007
WASHINGTON - A judge who lost a $54 million lawsuit against a dry cleaner over a missing pair of pants continues to press his suit.

Roy Pearson, a District of Columbia administrative law judge, filed a notice of appeal Tuesday.

Jin Nam Chung and Soo Chung, the owners of Custom Cleaners, had hoped Pearson would back off the case after withdrawing their demand Monday that he pay their legal fees, their attorney said.

Pearson, who did not immediately respond to an e-mail message seeking comment, has claimed that the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign that once hung in the Chungs' shop was misleading and violated the city's consumer protection act.

Pearson's two-page filing Tuesday presented no new arguments. He is expected to present his appeal once the D.C. Court of Appeals schedules briefings in the case.

The trouble began in 2005 after a pair of Pearson's pants that he brought to the cleaners went missing. But a week later, the Chungs said the pants had been found and refused to pay. Pearson said those were not his pants and decided to sue.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:30 am
jespah wrote:
the article edgar cited wrote:
I'm no lawyer, but I was a little surprised that rather than making a sort of coherent and impassioned plea for his case, Pearson continued citing statutes and cases that proved his claims under the Consumer Protection Act.

The plaintiff is looking to protect the record for appeal, and introduce in all sorts of junk so as to drag this thing along for even longer. He expects to lose. I agree with Miller, actually, I think this is racially motivated as the upshot of it seems to be the desire to run the Chungs outta town on a rail.

Yep.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:27 am
jespah wrote:
jespah wrote:
the article edgar cited wrote:
I'm no lawyer, but I was a little surprised that rather than making a sort of coherent and impassioned plea for his case, Pearson continued citing statutes and cases that proved his claims under the Consumer Protection Act.

The plaintiff is looking to protect the record for appeal, and introduce in all sorts of junk so as to drag this thing along for even longer. He expects to lose. I agree with Miller, actually, I think this is racially motivated as the upshot of it seems to be the desire to run the Chungs outta town on a rail.

Yep.

I'm glad that you agree with Jespah, Jespah.... Wink
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:28 am
My grandmother wouldn't have been caught dead in a $54 million pantsuit.
0 Replies

voxpopuli

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:39 pm
this is just preposterous, the legal profession is about being able to serve justice, not to fit egotistical whims...
0 Replies