Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:50 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,178 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:51 pm
I find it hard to believe this case has not been thrown out.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:57 pm
Hey! If he didn't have the pants he needed to be a judge then he couldn't go to court and criminals would be set free! Murder and mayhem would ensue! The criminals would take over the state as anarchy reigns! Foriegn nations would see our weaknesses and take advantage thus causing a major world war and pissibe annihilation of the human race! This is indeed a worthwhile case!
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:59 pm
He should be derobed as well as depantsed. Whatever bench it is that he sits on, I hope they're doing their best to disbar him. The man hasn't the remotest conception of justice. Or sense of proportion.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:08 pm
edgarblythe
This takes the cake. I would have thrown this lawsuit out of court, penalize Pearson for filing a frivolous lawsuit and awarded the Chungs money payable from Pearson. If I were the Chungs I would have counter-sued at the least but I don't know if that can be done in that state.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:52 am
The plaintif is so unstable, emotionally, he began crying in the courtroom yesterday. Thank goodness there was no jacket to match the pants, or it could have really gotten pricey.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:29 am
Even worse, he may have been faking those tears to make a point of the distress he's been under over losing his precious pants. What a piece of work, huh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:44 am
They found the pants, in good condition. They offered him 12,000 dollars. They went much farther trying to settle this than I would have.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 07:47 am
The Judge stated that he was representing the Community in his lawsuit against the Koreans. Apparently, other members of the Community feel that they've been unjustly treated by the Korean shop keepers.

The issue isn't pants!

The issue is really race-relations and in this case,
the relations between Blacks and Asian-Americans who live in the same community, and apparently share the services of this Korean-owned business.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:30 am
$12,000 would have more than met the "satisfaction guaranteed" requirement. At least for me. I hope that company sues and takes the guy to the cleaners! And I hope he loses more than just his pants!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:50 pm
I haven't seen any reports that make this a race issue. If that entered the courtroom, there would be even better grounds for dismissal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:41 am
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:58 am
the article edgar cited wrote:
I'm no lawyer, but I was a little surprised that rather than making a sort of coherent and impassioned plea for his case, Pearson continued citing statutes and cases that proved his claims under the Consumer Protection Act.

The plaintiff is looking to protect the record for appeal, and introduce in all sorts of junk so as to drag this thing along for even longer. He expects to lose. I agree with Miller, actually, I think this is racially motivated as the upshot of it seems to be the desire to run the Chungs outta town on a rail.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:11 am
One might infer the intent is racially motivated, but nobody involved has suggested anything of the kind.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 04:30 pm
I can't believe he's saying the signs are fraudulent. They are no such thing.

The first sign said "Satisfaction Guaranteed." One of the definitions of satisfaction is: payment of what is due. So they guarantee that if they lose someone's pants, they'll pay for them. But I have a feeling that his pants aren't worth $54 million dollars.

The other sign said "Same Day Service." This is in no way a promise. It doesn't guarantee same day service. It advertises one of the things they offer. And, in most cases, it's true. Just because every once in a while the service takes more than one day doesn't mean that the sign is untrue. In most cases they do offer same day service.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:28 pm
The defendants (owners of the dry cleaning business) won today. The court ruled that they did not violate the consumer protection statute. The plaintiff was ordered to pay their court costs.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:32 pm
Here's an article:

Washington Dry Cleaner Wins in $54 Million Pants Suit

Quote:
(Judge) Bartnoff rejected a claim by Roy Pearson, an administrative law judge in Washington, that a "Satisfaction Guaranteed'' sign posted in the Chungs' shop required them to meet his demands that they compensate him for the pants, which they denied losing.

"A reasonable consumer would not interpret `Satisfaction Guaranteed' to mean that a merchant is required to satisfy a customer's unreasonable demands or to accede to demands that the merchant has reasonable grounds to dispute,'' Bartnoff wrote in a 23-page opinion released today.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 01:20 pm
Here's a link to the Court decision:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/documents/pearsonfindings062507.pdf
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:17 pm
Debra Law
Thanks for posts. I am glad for the Chungs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 04:51 pm
I saw no mention of appeal. I hope that ends it. I also still don't see this so much as a case of racism, as a guy totally out of whack with reality.
0 Replies