AFI's 100 Top American Films, Part II

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:31 pm
eoe wrote:
Neither "Gypsy" nor "Mame" in the top 100. How can they ignore Ms. Rosalind so?

Rosalind Russell starred in Auntie Mame, which was a non-musical adaptation of the book. Lucille Ball starred in Mame, the musical adaptation of the stage musical.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:58 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
eoe wrote:
Neither "Gypsy" nor "Mame" in the top 100. How can they ignore Ms. Rosalind so?

Rosalind Russell starred in Auntie Mame, which was a non-musical adaptation of the book. Lucille Ball starred in Mame, the musical adaptation of the stage musical.

Are you sure, joe. I remember Rosalind and company doing a whole lotta singing in her version.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:24 pm
You're thinking of "Gypsy" -- Russell took the part instead of Ethyl Merman and it was passably good. I saw the very last performance of "Gypsy" with Merman at the Biltmore Theater in Los Angeles. Russell, unfortunately, falls way, way, way short compared to Merman

The film version of "Mame" would be lucky to stay out of the worst 100 movies. It was Lucille Ball's swan song and a vocally deprived swan at that.

"Auntie Mame" would definitely find a place in my 100 favorites.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 09:57 pm
Are you telling me that there is NO SINGING in the Rosalind Russell version of "Mame"? No singing at all?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:37 am
I've taken a gander at the revised list. I could argue with a number of the choices, as I'm sure we all could and have. However, one selection stands out above all others for me. One selection shouldn't be on that list.

The Sound of Music.

I hated that movie with a passion I've rarely experienced. I feel my blood rising just thinking about it. How could that sappy, sloppy, sweet goo of sentimental claptrap pass for good, let alone great.

It should come with a warning label: Diabetics beware! The level of sweetness in this film may be dangerous to your health.

Whew I feel better now that I got that out of my system.

Just one goil's opinion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:34 am
eoe wrote:
Are you telling me that there is NO SINGING in the Rosalind Russell version of "Mame"? No singing at all?

Note a note or lyric, but a rousing score by, of all composers, Bronislau Kaper (he created the best part of the Brando "Mutiny on the Bounty", the sweeping epic music that I love to drop into the DVD player from time to time). The soundtrack score is jaunty, inventive and supports Russell's madcap performance. But no songs. It's "Auntie Mame," not "Mame,"
the Jerry Herman ("Hello Dolly") Broadway musical. "Auntie Mame" was adapted from a play and book, by Jerome Lawrence and Patrick Dennis, respectively and was about a real aunt of the playwright.

Roberta, all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein's screen adaptations were elephantine and overlong, tending to make one dose off between songs. "Carousel" is a better film musical than "The Sound of Music," but because of a few memorable songs. Julie Andrews, and the brilliant, gorgeous cinematography at actual location spots in Salzburg and the Alps by Ted McCord, it was a big audience hit, becoming the biggest box office winner for that time. Joshua Logan who was a stage director and tried to double as a movie director was responsible for most of the screen R&H musicals and his directing was, if anything, quirky and overwrought. Those annoying filters in the singing portions of "South Pacific" are a weak affectation that should have been left out.

Don't fret, they could have included "Flower Drum Song" which has only two great songs and a sagging, ho-hum plot about the Americanization of Chinese emigrants.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:03 pm
Just an afterthought: I am pretty well convinced that the current availability (or unavailability) of a movie on DVD is crucial to its consideration by the voters. A movie like The Magnificent Ambersons, which, although marred by the studio, is still considered by many to be a masterpiece, didn't make it onto either list. That's probably due, in large part, to the fact that it's not on DVD. The same can be said for other highly regarded films, such as Rebecca and The Big Parade, which have either never been released on DVD or which are not currently available in that format.

It can also explain why some movies appeared for the first time on the 2007 list. Kino, for instance, released its DVD of The General in 1999, and that film went from nowhere to no. 18 on the AFI list. Likewise, A Night at the Opera was first released on DVD in 2004: it wasn't on the 1997 list but is now 85 on the 2007 list. I believe that Sunrise and Sullivan's Travels also fall into this category, which would help explain their placement on the new list.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:13 pm
You're right, Joe. even the Robert Wise (!) truncated "The Magnificent Ambersons" is still a classic. The studio was responsible for trashing the cut footage and it's only a slim hope that it will ever surface.

I can't believe "Rebecca" and "The Big Parade" are not on DVD. Perhaps they are going through some restoration? The last print of "Rebecca" I saw on TV was not very good.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:23 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I can't believe "Rebecca" and "The Big Parade" are not on DVD. Perhaps they are going through some restoration? The last print of "Rebecca" I saw on TV was not very good.

One can only hope that these films are in the process of restoration. Rebecca has, I would think, a much better chance of appearing on DVD, just because it was directed by Hitchcock (it apparently was released on DVD in the past, but it is not currently available -- used copies are going for upwards of $95). Another classic that is not yet on DVD is the very first Oscar winner for best picture, Wings (which, of course, is on neither of the AFI lists).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:35 pm
"Rebecca" was 1940's Oscar Best Picture. You'd at least believe that most of the Oscar winners would appear on the AFI 100. It was Hitchcock's only Oscar film, but he lost the director Oscar to John Ford for "The Grapes of Wrath." (Those Oscar splits of the two top prizes are nothing new). The film also won for best black-and-white photography. That experience with Selznik, however, prompted Hitchcock to become independent from the studio system for the rest of his career.

That climactic conflagration even in black-and-white is still spellbinding -- we're always expecting to see fire in blazing reds, and Hitchcock did it again in "Psycho," but this time it was blood.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:32 am
Lightwizard wrote:
"Rebecca" was 1940's Oscar Best Picture. You'd at least believe that most of the Oscar winners would appear on the AFI 100.

You would if they were any good to begin with. Some best picture winners are, frankly, inexplicable (I'm looking at you, The Greatest Show on Earth).

As far as I can tell, only two best picture winners are not currently available on DVD: Wings (1927-28) and Cavalcade (1932-33) (Cimarron (1930-31) was only released last year).
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:58 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
"Rebecca" was 1940's Oscar Best Picture. You'd at least believe that most of the Oscar winners would appear on the AFI 100.

You would if they were any good to begin with. Some best picture winners are, frankly, inexplicable (I'm looking at you, The Greatest Show on Earth)

A more recent best picture winner was even more inexplicable to many: "American Beauty". One film magazine called it the worst movie ever to win in the best picture category.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:30 am
Yet, "American Beauty" was greeted with 93% positive reviews, so that nameless film magazine is probably why it remains nameless.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/american_beauty/

Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/movies/reviews/americanbeautyhowe.htm?movieslede=y

Alan Ball, the screenwriter, went on to create the great HBO series, "Six Feet Under."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:36 am
Joe's mention of Cimmaron reminded me of how successful Edna Ferber was not only as a novelist, but as a screenplay writer, both of her own work and that of others. I suspect, though, that she will soon be forgotten.

Cimmaron
Ice Palace
Show Boat
So Big
Saratoga Trunk
Giant

Those are just the big names. Several of her short stories were also made into motion pictures, and a few of her plays.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:25 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Yet, "American Beauty" was greeted with 93% positive reviews, so that nameless film magazine is probably why it remains nameless.

Well, you've got me there, LW. I can't even remember the name of the magazine (I was reading it in a doctor's office waiting room.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:24 am
wandeljw wrote:
A more recent best picture winner was even more inexplicable to many: "American Beauty". One film magazine called it the worst movie ever to win in the best picture category.

The reviewer must not have seen Broadway Melody (1928-29), the only possible redeeming feature of which is that the other movies nominated that year were probably just as bad (we can only guess at the quality of The Patriot, of which no prints have survived).

I accept that most filmgoers today have a limited perspective on film history, stretching back no farther than Kindergarten Cop, but I'd expect better from a film reviewer.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:02 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

Well, you've got me there, LW. I can't even remember the name of the magazine (I was reading it in a doctor's office waiting room.)

The movie reviewer in Prevention magazine, perhaps?

Joe has cited the one film that was a sentimental nod to Cecile B. DeMille and his only win and it could be the worst if it weren't for such films as "Around the World in Eighty Ways." (errr... Days) "The Greatest Show on Earth" a more likely choice, but won in spite of being a train wreck. :wink:

The other films is was up against, there were two obvious better choices:

High Noon, produced by Stanley Kramer

Ivanhoe, produced by Pandro S. Berman

Moulin Rouge, produced by John Huston

The Quiet Man, produced by John Ford and Merian C. Cooper
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:44 am
Lightwizard wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

Or maybe The Weekly Reader? Guns 'n' Ammo? Teen Beat?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:46 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

Or maybe The Weekly Reader? Guns 'n' Ammo? Teen Beat?

It also could have been one of those Mad Magazine spoofs. (I value their critiques highly.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:47 am
I think Guns and Ammo.
0 Replies