Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
Clue and response: NoNo
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:07 am
Clue:
Quote:
I'm political, opinionated, but try to keep an open mind on all matters.

Also, i'm a student of Bristol UK with a nasty addiction to films, mates, and my Presidents of the USA albums.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:22 am
Mapleleaf wrote:
Clue and response: NoNo

Do we have a member named Nanette? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:15 am
Clue: arfarf
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:55 am
Clue: It takes 3 different letters to spell a 6 lettered name.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 01:39 pm
dafdaf
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 06:59 pm
Give the lady a dolly.... THE CORRECT ANSWER IS DAFDAF.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 9 of ten:

1st
Quote:
I should like to wish ______, on behalf of Her Majesty and all her subjects, of which I have the privilege to be one, an exceedingly warm welcome to our happy breed.

Long live the Queen! God bless her and all who sail in her*!

*It doesn't have to be just sailors!

OK - that's going a bit far, _, seeing as I've never even met you, but I know you'll take it the right way.

[For those of you who know Viz, just call me Finbarr!]
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:45 pm
2nd
Quote:
Frida Kahlo was an amazing woman. I can imagine that a lenghty film about the ordeals of her life would have been "a little trying"!

I saw a one woman play about her life put on by someone with whom I used to do yoga. It was as exciting and involving as many of her pictures, if you see them in a gallery.

She and Diego Rivera must be the couple at the top of the art league table!

In terms of designers, however, rather than fine artists, Charles and Ray Eames take a lot of beating.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:45 pm
2nd
Quote:
Frida Kahlo was an amazing woman. I can imagine that a lenghty film about the ordeals of her life would have been "a little trying"!

I saw a one woman play about her life put on by someone with whom I used to do yoga. It was as exciting and involving as many of her pictures, if you see them in a gallery.

In terms of designers, however, rather than fine artists, Charles and Ray Eames take a lot of beating.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:46 pm
2nd
Quote:

0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:47 pm
2nd
Quote:

0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:47 pm
2nd
Quote:

0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:20 pm
Blatham ?
Blatham?
Blatham ?
Blatham ?

Question
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:09 am
LOL!
LOL!
LOL!
LOL!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:19 am
2nd
Quote:

0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:28 am
Needless to say, I had a problem Rolling Eyes

3rd
Quote:
I second most of what's been said so far, especially oak's initial introduction piece.

It's also very true that London is not representative of the UK. I feel like it's almost a different country, like the old "city states" of Italy. I feel more Londoner than Brit, really!

I won't have Cambridge placed below Oxford - you must have missed the best parts! OK, I'm biased, having spent 3 years studying there . It's much more a University with a town, whereas Oxford is a real town with a University running through it.

Punting to Grantchester from Cambridge (by "The Mill") on a summer afternoon and having a cream tea in the same orchard of which Rupert Brooke wrote:

http://www.web-books.com/Classics/Poetry/Anthology/Brooke/OldVic.htm

is SIMPLY SUBLIME!!!

Ideally you'll have consumed a couple of pints of Pimms on your way there and will just drift through the rest of the day!

Other highlights of Cambridge are the views of King's College from the Backs (the river side). Clare College gardens are delightful. Either St. John's or King's College Choirs are world famous and sing at chapel services.

The Fitzwilliam Museum has a strange variety of pieces, including a large number of original William Blake illustrations.

There are also enough decent pubs: from memory of 10 years ago, The Mill and the Baron of Beef are worth a visit for the beers and atmosphere.

I'll have a think about non-obvious London and post at items occur to me
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 04:20 am
Kitchenpete
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 06:28 am
Are you sure? Confused
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:54 am
True, true...THE CORRECT ANSWER IS KITCHENPETE.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 10 of ten: (Oh my!)

Quote:
Just wanted to check out whether here are people in the forum who are open-minded to an occasional thrill by watching (good?) horror movies?

Let me give you a short list of movies I would put in my hall of fame and which, of course, is to be extendend:

1. The Birds (Hitchcock). A thriller of its very own....no music throughout the whole film, playing uniquely with the fears of the viewer, having an open end.

2. The Fog (Carpenter). Very, very simple story, but very entertaining and, ehm, how do you say, somewhat 'creepy'.

3. The Dead Trilogy (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn and Day of The Dead) by George A. Romero. Pure anarchism....apocalyptic scenario....tasteless splatter...however, socially critical aspects in every part of the trilogy. Unfortunately, Dawn and Day are banned in Germany.

4. Alien. A masterpiece by Ridley Scott. Great effects, wonderful atmosphere, great actors and a sophisticated plot.

5. American Werewolf in London (John Landis). Ironic dialogues, cheeky scenes, receiving an Oscar for make-up effects...best entertainment in a classic werewolf setting and post-modern background.

6. 28 Days Later. (by 'Trainspotting' director Danny Boyle) Just saw this British!!! production in a cinema some weeks ago. Reminding of and using many elements from Romero's Dead trilogy, the director did an artwork...a devastated London without any people....using amateur cameras for certain scenes to remain a 'documentary' character...gave me goosebumps while reducing splatter scenes. Best 'horror' thriller of the year, I think.

7. From Dusk Till Dawn (Robert Rodriguez). Quentin Tarantino, Harvey Keitel, Cheech Marin, George Clooney acting great within a totally lunatic story...giving [hidden] hommage to many underground classics. Great!

8. Jaws (Spielberg). Pure thrill! Great film...I don't have to add that the composition of the cast (Robert Shaw, Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss) was a lucky choice!!

Think that were the ones which got into my mind first.

Any comments on my film selection, constructive criticizing, or anything to add? Please feel free to list your favourite horror movies, give a short comment on them why they please you so much...or even why you might think that horror movies are a waste of time or even 'immoral'?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:03 am
51days !!!
0 Replies