EndNote commercial referencing

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:11 pm
I suspect that it is all too clear from my recent correspondence that I am working on a paper that will be "endnote intensive," and that I am "computer illiterate." I now have EndNote, in an attempt to end this sorry state of affairs. My problem: I am once again in over my head. I read through the manual, and immediately came down with a severe case of the stupids. My initial question: What comes first? How does one go about citing a book or article?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 663 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:29 am
There are a number of styles for citing.
Harvard style is one style in use.

This should appear in the text at the end of the quote or in your endnote
Bessant, J 2001

2 Authors Bessant, J. & dadpad K 2001.

3 or more authours - Bessant, J. et al K 2001.

For a Book the details required In your reference section in order are:

1. name/s of author/s, editor/s, compiler/s (surname, and initials or given name), or the institution responsible
2. year of publication
3. title of publication and subtitle if any (all titles must be underlined or italicised)
4. series title and individual volume if any
5. edition, if other than first
6. publisher
7. place of publication
8. page number(s) if applicable

Differences exist for electronic references, journal articals books magazines etc

Here is just one of the many guides (not very comprehensive)
http://www.library.uq.edu.au/training/citation/harvard.html

You should ask your lecturer/school/examiners which style they prefer. It may be usefull to get some tuition. I have lost marks before on papers because of poor citing (because I had the wrong thing italicised...Not happy)
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:10 pm
Dadpad:
Many thanks. I've decided to use either APA or Turabian. My primary problem now is that I have started (I'm on about my second page) and have come to a point where I need to cite a book. EndNote is a commercial citation template, and is highly thought-of in some schools. They supply a manual for their product, but the manual is, itself, very confusing. As I mentioned earlier, I originally tried to use the footnote/endnote system supplied by WORD, but it seems inadequate for what I want to do. Are you familiar with EndNote?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:35 am
I am not familiar with Endnote, so you are on your own there.

Is this citation format acceptable for your university and Lecturers? Have you made an actual inquiry?
0 Replies