The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:35 am
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill is one of the best documentaries I've seen. It made me homesick for San Francisco. In today's violent world, it was wonderful to see humans caring for wildlife. Mark Bittner reminds me of Dyslexia. ---BBB

http://www.pelicanmedia.org/store-images/ParrotsDVDfinalcover1.jpgA DVD of the film is available for $22. I think I will order one for Dyslexia and Fred the Parrot.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/wildparrots/video.html

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,506 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:58 am
July 21, 2006;

The lady Diane somehow found and ordered a dvd titled "the wild parrots of telegraph hill" which we watched a few days ago. I was fascinated. it is a documentery about a man in San Francisco on telegraph hill who has feed and cared for a flock of abandoned conure parrots (my fred is a conure) anyway when (after some years of caring for) he was forced to move out of the area the city was concerned about how to carry on his activites with the conures and he spoke at the city council (whatever it's called there) and said "the best thing would be to just let them alone" when he left, his favorite conure was devoured by a hawk but he (the conure) lived free as was given his choice. Many people spoke saying from (1) they are not native species therefor some be captured and removed to (2) they should be totally cared for with city/public support feed and aid stations in the area. Personally I was brought to tears watching this man care for all this (50 or so) conure parrots and at the same time only want their lives to be lived in freedom with all the attendent perils. The man is a true liberal in my mind.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
Dys
Dys, we had the same reaction. I cried, too. I was going to order a DVD for you, but you beat me to it. I know Osso will want to see it, too. My son would also be emotionally touched by it as he had a white Cockatoo for 18 years and had to give it up when they moved out of California.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:28 am
Two ways to view the film's trailer
View the film's trailer

Windows Media Play format:
http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/TPOTH_Trailer.wmv
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:26 pm
to inject a note of totally unwarranted humour

A red and a green parrot alight on a tree in the grounds of a mental institution.

A resident climbs up to grab one.

"Why didnt you take them both?" asks the attendant fireperson

"The green one wasnt ripe"
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 11:35 am
Frightingly enough, humor like that greatly appeals to me.

Carry on, the rest of you serious sorts.
0 Replies

official

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 01:44 am
Eh?
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 05:53 pm
Diane,

Believe it or not, there was once a genre of jokes called "Little Moron jokes". They usually began, "Why did the Little Moron ... ?".

These jokes have become obsolete, along with Dumb Blonde jokes and others that were popular before people became outraged at perceived insensitivity to people with special needs.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:39 pm
Thanks, Aa.

At 5'1" I have become used to 'short people' jokes and find most of them funny, perhaps because I so easily identify with being vertically challenged.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:25 am
Diane
I wrote this about a dear short friend and for all the shorties in the world, including the Lady Diane. -----BBB

The View From Down There
By BumbleBeeBoogie

A petite women, barely five feet tall,
tired of all the ridiculous questions
about why she grew hardly at all
despite their silly, impractical suggestions.

"Hey Shorty, how's the weather down there?"
they asked with sneering, pompous poses.
My short friend gleefully did declare,
"I see lots of hair in people's noses."

Those tall ninnies with brains not bright
showed their manners to be uncouth,
due no doubt to their excess height
and poor guidance in their youth.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:04 am
Oh I LOVE it!!

You are one talented (for a tall person...) woman. And pretty funny to boot. Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:07 am
I just printed it out--definitely a keeper.
0 Replies