Unwanted bars or lines. Are they page breaks?

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:32 pm
I am writing a paper, and must have clicked on the wrong button. In any event, I have a bar or line, starting from the left margin, which goes about half of the page. It is located on the same page as the last line of writing. I don't know what it is, but suspect it is a page break. I have tried everything I know (which isn't much) to remove it. Clicking on "Enter" makes it go down (sometimes), and clicking on "Delete" makes it go up (sometimes). I am unable to highlight it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 913 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:58 pm
Try clicking on View>Print Layout.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 10:00 pm
I assume this is microsoft word?
really need to know which version of word.
Go to <help> <about> for the version number.

Is it a broken (dotted line) or solid line?

In my version a page break has page break written along the line.
clicking anywhere along the line will insert the cursor at the start of the page break line. Once the cursor is inserted at the start of the line press delete.
Earlier versions, I think the procedure was <edit> <delete> <delete page break>

If solid it could be a border. Right click on an empty place on your top tool bar, check (tick) formatting. Find the borders icon on the tool bar and select for no border

Try updating your version: HERE for office 2003

look for the backwards " p " in your tool bar. This is the "show all formatting" button, click it and the formatting charachters such as line breaks and page breaks will not be visible. (still in your document though)

If this is a page break it will not print.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:06 pm
Wilso:
I clicked on View, then Print Layout, and got an interesting result. Nothing. Even though the Print Layout button was highlighted. I have a feeling you are on to something, but I can't see it. I was trying to figure out how to do endnotes on the software, at the time.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:55 pm
Woollcott wrote:
Wilso:
I clicked on View, then Print Layout, and got an interesting result. Nothing. Even though the Print Layout button was highlighted. I have a feeling you are on to something, but I can't see it. I was trying to figure out how to do endnotes on the software, at the time.

I think you were already in print layout. The button is highlited in the view menu for the active view.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:45 pm
dadpad wrote:
Woollcott wrote:
Wilso:

I think you were already in print layout. The button is highlited in the view menu for the active view.

go to view
go to footnote
right click on go to end note
hit delete twice
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:30 am
dadpad, you're in a British (Aussie?) version. If Woollcott is in the American version, here are some ideas (I'm looking at Word 2003):

For the horizontal line:
On the Standard toolbar, there's a button like a backwards, filled-in P. Click it and you'll be able to see things like paragraph marks (when you hit the Enter key). The spaces between words will look like little dots; if you've used the tab key it looks like a little arrow, etc. With this turned on, you should be able to see better what it is and how to get rid of it. It's a toggle, so click it again and all the little marks will disappear again.

For the footnote:
The American version says View/Header and Footer. It will open the header and your typed page will be grayed out. To switch to the footer, click the button that shows a page with a yellow header and footer. It's a toggle between them. Type what you want in the footer (there are also buttons for automatic page numbering and dating of files, that sort of thing) and click Close on the little toolbar. You can then open it back up by double-clicking on it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:14 am
Wy wrote:
dadpad, you're in a British (Aussie?) version. If Woollcott is in the American version, here are some ideas (I'm looking at Word 2003):

dadpad wrote:
look for the backwards " p " in your tool bar. This is the "show all formatting" button, click it and the formatting characters such as line breaks and page breaks will not be visible. (still in your document though)

What makes you think there is a separate version? There are alternatives to select for measurements (metric), language (Australian), date format etc but the base version is the same to the best of my knowledge.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:45 pm
Dadpad:
I apologize for missing your first reply. As for your question: Yes, I am working in WORD 2007. There are now two lines: The first being the reason for my first question, and the second after I tried once more to insert an endnote. The first goes about two-thirds across the paper, but the second goes all the way across.
You are right - the line seems to be involved with the endnotes. Could it be a "break" between the text material and the Endnotes Section?
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:55 pm
Intrepid:
Thanks for the input! It was only when I went to VIEW that I realized you must be using a Word 2003 version. I sorta remember this "path" when I was working in Word 2003. In any event, I very much appreciate your jumping in.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:07 am
as I dont have 2007 version I cant assist. but there must be a help facility that explains how to get rid of end notes.

My instinct says if you turn on show formatting (the backwards P) there will be something to highlite that can then be deleted.

"Undo" in the edit menu may also be useful.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:44 pm
Wy:
Do I have your instructions right: To insert my endnote, I should create a footer, and for all intents and purposes the body of the endnote (the part appearing at the end of the paper) will actually be enclosed in a footer? Although it doesn't sound logical, I'll give it a try.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:41 pm
Woollcott, I misunderstood. No, a footer and a footnote are quite different. I used to know how to do footnotes; Word has a facility that will keep track of them and update their page references if your copy shifts, etc.

I only worked on a few long documents, though, so I'm not an expert. I couldn't find anything in Help by just looking for Footnotes, so I went to the Answer Wizard, and typed in "How do I make footnotes?". I got quite a comprehensive list of answers, including inserting them, changing, moving, referring to one footnote more than once, and many other items. Will that help?

dadpad, I assumed wrong. Sorry.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:53 pm
Wy:
I think that part of our problem is that we have different versions of WORD. I've been going crazy looking for the "Answer Wizard" and never did find it. I am working in Word 2007. Apparently Microsoft has dropped the "Wizard."
I just tried "help" again in hopes I missed something previously. Even went through the "endnote" instructions again. But nothing has changed. Many thanks for your efforts.
0 Replies