Good site to test your home & appliance energy efficiency

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:41 am
Good site to test your home & appliance energy efficiency:

http://www.energystar.gov/

For example, if your refrigerator was manufactured before 1993, the following is the amount of money you are paying for wasted energy:

Refrigerators & Freezers
Residential Refrigerators
Commercial Solid Door Refrigerators & Freezers

ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators require about half as much energy as models manufactured before 1993. ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators provide energy savings without sacrificing the features you want.

Earning the ENERGY STAR

ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerator models use high efficiency compressors, improved insulation, and more precise temperature and defrost mechanisms to improve energy efficiency.

ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerator models use at least 15% less energy than required by current federal standards and 40% less energy than the conventional models sold in 2001.

Many ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerator models include automatic ice-maker and through-the-door ice dispensers. Qualified models are also available with top, bottom, and side-by-side freezers.

ENERGY STAR qualified freezer models use at least 10% less energy than required by current federal standards. Qualified freezer models are available in three configurations:

upright freezers with automatic defrost
upright freezers with manual defrost
chest freezers with manual defrost only

ENERGY STAR compact refrigerators and freezers use at least 20% less energy than required by current federal standards. Compacts are models with volumes less than 7.75 cubic feet.

Remember, saving energy prevents pollution. In most households, the refrigerator is the single biggest energy consuming kitchen appliance. Replacing a refrigerator bought in 1990 with a new ENERGY STAR qualified model would save enough energy to light the average household for nearly four months.

You may also be interested to know that you can reduce the amount of energy your refrigerator or freezer uses, whether with a standard or an ENERGY STAR qualified model:

Position your refrigerator away from a heat source such as an oven, a dishwasher, or direct sunlight from a window.

To allow air to circulate around the condenser coils, leave a space between the wall or cabinets and the refrigerator or freezer and keep the coils clean.

Make sure the door seals are airtight.

Keep your refrigerator between 35 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit and your freezer at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

Minimize the amount of time the refrigerator door is open.

Recycle older or second refrigerators.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,676 • Replies: 7
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:21 pm
BBB :
we think that we are rather careful in the use of energy . we have switched over to the energy efficient bulbs - actually started 15 years ago when those circular lights came out . those old circular ones were rather expensive - about $15 i seem to recall - but some are still working .
i find that the new ones - particularly those from china - can give up life quickly - and recycling facilities don't exist yet locally .

i question if it's an energy efficient move to replace an older fridge that's running nicely with a new one . the energy required to produce a new one is rather substantial . if one needs to buy a new one it makes sense to buy an energy efficient one .
(beer fridges should be outlawed imo)

our local utility provided a free energy audit about ten years ago - it would have taken a minimum of twenty years to recover the cost of newer , more energy efficient appliances .
what we simply do is to buy a good appliance when we need a new one .

our biggest energy savings probably came from extra insulation in attic and basement , extra insulated siding and energy efficient windows . of course , that was ten years ago - now triple-glazed windows are available !

similarly with cars : we have an eight-year old olds intrigue (6 cyl) with about 65,000 miles . we keep it well maintened and drive less than half as much as ten years ago . if we were to buy a new car , we'd look for a more efficient car for sure ; but i doubt it would make much sense to scrap a well-running car just to buy a new one - trade-in value would be next to nothing .
wouldn't mind a PRIUS - if they weren't so expensive !
i understand that general motors will bring fuel-efficient MALIBU on the market within couple of years .
of course , if the price of gasoline were to double ... that would be a different story !
hbg
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:26 pm
Have you lost your mind, man?

hamburger wrote:
(beer fridges should be outlawed imo)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:02 pm
bill wrote :

Quote:
Have you lost your mind, man?

beer is no longer my favourite beverage - unless i'm in germany drinking REAL beer - and it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge . coming from the cool basement is just the right temperature for the beer i drink Exclamation Laughing

i have a responsibility to be a "green" tippler - i'll have a nice cognac , scotch - NO ICE ! i'm saving humankind from GLOBAL WARMING Laughing

hbg (always the "energy conscious" one )
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 09:34 pm
Laughing I like my beer and booze Ice cold. Guess I better buy some carbon credits to make up for it...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:44 am
bill wrote :

Quote:
Guess I better buy some carbon credits to make up for it...

i wonder if we have to buy credits for burping ?
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:27 pm
bbb :
i just remembered when britain suffered from power shortages - during the 1970's , i believe .
the miners went on strike and the government of the day asked britons to save on both gas and electricity .
the "daily express" had probably the best british illustrator ever " GILES" , who immediately had a cartoon suggesting that people shower and bathe together to save power .
every christmas my most cherished present was the GILES ANNUAL - i still have a stack of twenty of them in the rec room .
i wish i could find the cartoon . anyhow , at that time we were all heartily laughing , but today it might indeed be a "green idea" (it would just depend on who your shower partner would be Laughing ) .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:41 pm
couldn't find the cartoon on taking a bath together , but this is pretty good too imo .
from feb 1973 - shortage of coalgas , i believe .
husband coming home finds another man sharing bed with his wife .
his wife had the proper response ready Laughing .
SHE WAS JUST SAVING ENERGY Laughing
hbg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1834/gas1zj0.jpg

we need to have a laugh on occasion imo .
0 Replies