Cuban cigars and the law

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
I always knew that Cuban cigars were illegal in the US. I recently heard that it is illegal for a US citizen to smoke or purchase a Cuban cigar while in another country where these cigars are legal. I heard it when watching a news report where, Arnie, the governator was seen lighting up such a cigar in some other country.

Is this an insane law and how does the US plan on enforcing it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,684 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:54 am
Hmmm... I was under the impression that it was illegal to buy Cuban cigars and bring them into the U.S.. I don't know of any law that prevents anyone from buying and smoking one in another country.

About.com has the following to say:

"Cuban Cigars Are Illegal at Home and Abroad
Technically, although an American citizen cannot even purchase or smoke a Cuban cigar while traveling abroad, there may not be any practical way to enforce the restriction."

http://cigars.about.com/od/cubantradeembargo/qt/0062002a.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:59 am
The Governator was just in Canadia, where Cuban cee-gars are big business. When you cross from Detroit to Windsor, and head out Huron Church Road, it seems like every other business is either a strip joint, or sells Cuban cee-gars. I doubt that anyone makes a serious effort to enforce these laws. It is pretty rare for Customs and Immigration to search the car when you come back from Canadia--even with all the September 11th hooplah. Windsor has for sale far more Cuban cee-gars than it is likely that the citizens of Windsor smoke themselves (even if old ladies and little kids smoke them), so the inference is rather strong that these shops exist to sell Cuban smokes to American visitors who will then casually smuggle them into the U.S.

It would be hilarious, though, to see them arrest the Governator for this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:19 am
I guess there were pictures of him lighting up the cubans.

Now how can they not arrest him? Everyone knows he broke the law.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:44 am
That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard, is that even legal?

Arrest him? holy **** it shouldn't even be an issue, this is possibly one of the most, for lack of a batter word, RETARDED things i have ever heard of.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 10:47 am
I agree the law is ridiculous, however, it is black and white here - there is proof that he broke the law, but no arrest. Just wondering if anything would actually come of it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
No! No one touches the terminator!

Besides, it's even more silly to keep the embargo against Cuba up
for that long. Only in America!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:15 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
No! No one touches the terminator!

Besides, it's even more silly to keep the embargo against Cuba up
for that long. Only in America!

QFT!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:46 pm
Linkat wrote:
I guess there were pictures of him lighting up the cubans.

Here's one of them:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5416/428852444443159de138b7pr4.gif
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 11:13 pm
How would they prove he wasn't firing up a Dominican Cohiba? Here in Florida, people cruise the the Bahamas regularly and frequently return with a box of Cubans. As a rule of thumb; one box for personal use will usually be looked past. I've never hesitated to bring a box home with me. As a matter of "Law" those duty free cigarettes aren't supposed to return to the U.S. with you either... but when the they bust your balls at Customs; that's all they're doing is ball-busting. They don't even confiscate them.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:18 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
How would they prove he wasn't firing up a Dominican Cohiba?

They might use 27 8x10 color glossy pictures of the cigar band that says "Havana, Cuba" on it as evidence against him.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:53 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
How would they prove he wasn't firing up a Dominican Cohiba? Here in Florida, people cruise the the Bahamas regularly and frequently return with a box of Cubans. As a rule of thumb; one box for personal use will usually be looked past. I've never hesitated to bring a box home with me. As a matter of "Law" those duty free cigarettes aren't supposed to return to the U.S. with you either... but when the they bust your balls at Customs; that's all they're doing is ball-busting. They don't even confiscate them.

In the news report, it was the clerk that sold him the cuban that answered these questions from the media.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:32 am
Sideffects of smoking Cuban cigars include communism.

I'd prefer not to have this country overrun with Reds AGAIN. Trust me, you don't want to be on my secret list.
0 Replies