dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 02:58 am
I was lucky enough to come across a chestnut tree recently and being autumn here in Oz there were a myriad of nuts available under the tree.

I have acess to the usual kitchen appliances such as gas stove variouse pots and pans etc but not an open fire coals etc.

How does one go about cooking chestnuts?

Any special additives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,632 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ul

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:16 am
You can cook them or bake them in the oven.

For cooking you first cut cross wise at the pointed side, then put them in slightly salted boiling water,simmer for about 15 minutes. Now you can take off the shells.

For baking you cut the shells again, this time on the round side, put them into a oven proof dish and place them into the preheated oven ( 200 C).
I use a "hot air oven", so I place a pot with hot water in the oven so the chestnuts don't dry too much. Takes about 10 minutes. Take the shells off as long the nuts are still warm.

What are you doing with them? Cakes? Desserts? Stuffings?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:27 am
Ul thank you.

Chestnuts are not something we see a lot of here.

I assume the need for opening is to stop them exploding. I wonder why they need to be cut at different ends.

I had no thought on use apart from eating the whole nut. I have 300 gms (10 oz) with the shells on so probably not enough for much baking.

My wife is currently using them as table decoration.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:50 am
dadpad wrote:

I wonder why they need to be cut at different ends.

You got me there. I learned to cook them from my Austrian mother-in-law and have no idea why to cut them at different ends.
But without cutting shelling is more difficult. Be sure to take off all the "fuzzy" parts between shell and nut.
If you want just to eat the nuts I think baking is best.

300 gr is not much, but you might find more. :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 04:44 am
you can also do them in the ashes of a fire.They get a unique , slightly burnt edge to them. IUsually we also do the salt water cooking thing. Cutting the ends into a star shape does keep them from popping and it also helps the peeling . They are so good.

In the fall, we use chestnuts in a bread stuffing for duck or goose.

My paulownia trees are growing like weeds. Is the Oz paulownia industry still active? I heard that the market crashed for this wood.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:01 am
Cut and x into each of 'em, put on a microwave-safe plate, x side up, only one deep (e. g. don't stack 'em). 2 minutes on high, 3 if you don't have that powerful a microwave. If you hear one explode, they're already done, regardless of what the timer says.

To peel -- as Ul suggests or even fry them for maybe a second or two in oil, that helps the skins to come up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:07 am
I like 'em baked. For a while we used to cook 'em in the microwave at work and eat 'em straight up. Very nice for an afternoon snack at work.

I like them slivered and sauteed, on top of roasted veggies - particularly any of the cauliflower/brussels sprouts range of veg.

Quote:

1 lb. Chestnuts

Cut large X into flat side of Chestnut using knife

Arrange the cut Chestnuts in microwave pan

Microwave on high (100%) for 2.5 minutes

While Chestnuts are still warm - peel

this recipe looks very good

http://www.foodreference.com/html/brussps-chestnuts.html

Quote:
Roasted chestnuts, tender Brussels sprouts, and sauteed red onions absorb the rich sweetness of maple butter in this warming winter dish. Perfect for a holiday meal, this festive dish is simple to make and even easier if you roast the chestnuts in advance and freeze them.

Serves Four

6 chestnuts
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 or 3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, about 4 cups
Salt and pepper
Light olive oil
1/2 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced, about 1 cup
1/4 cup water

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Using a paring knife, score the tops of the chestnuts with an X. Place them in a baking dish, brush them with a little oil, and roast, uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cover the dish, allowing the chestnuts to steam. Let sit for 5 minutes, then peel and coarsely chop or break the chestnuts apart with your hands; you should have about 1/3 cup. Set aside.

Cream the butter with 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup. (The butter will be a little wet from the moisture of the maple syrup.) Add the remaining maple syrup to taste. Set aside.

Trim the base off the Brussels sprouts and discard any discolored outer leaves. Cut them in half or leave whole if small. If leaving whole, score the bottom with an X.

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Drop the Brussels sprouts into the water and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until tender. Their color should be bright when you take them from the water. Drain and rinse under cold water.

While the Brussels sprouts are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium-size saute pan. Add the onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper. Saute over medium heat until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the Brussels sprouts, chestnuts, 1/4 teaspoon salt, a few pinches of pepper, and the water; saute for 2 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are heated through

Remove the pan from the heat to cool it a little. (This will help to keep the butter from melting and separating when tossed into the pan.)

Add the maple butter and toss together. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:16 am
farmerman wrote:

My paulownia trees are growing like weeds. Is the Oz paulownia industry still active? I heard that the market crashed for this wood.

As mentioned before somewhere Pawlonia is not on my radar. Most of the industry is in Queensland and a very long way me. I hadnt heard that it crashed but you know...<shrug> sunrise industry.

jespah wrote:

put on a microwave-safe plate, x side up, only one deep (e. g. don't stack 'em). 2 minutes on high, 3 if you don't have that powerful a microwave

Whats a microwave?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:39 am
Have you got a fireplace or firepit, dadpad?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:44 am
This site ... click ... covers pretty much all of the basic chestnut cooking options.

<nice site generally>
0 Replies