The Last Thing You Put In Your Mouth....

glitterbag

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 01:17 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Cream cheese sandwich

My mother would put creme cheese on dark pumpernickel and then spread just a wee bit of fruit jelly on top.......delish
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 07:16 pm
@glitterbag,
that is one of my favourite memories of going to New York as a kid. my dad would go down to a corner grocery and bring dark rye, fresh soft cream cheese
and either jam or jelly up to our hotel room. that would be our nice cheap evening meal after a cheap night on Broadway or watching tv tapings. I thought it was better than having any kind of dessert.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 03:29 pm
mmm... Delicious tasty memories of cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. An ideal marriage. Placed on a dark bread and all is right with the world.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 03:45 pm
tea

I hope it's not decaf
Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 03:47 pm
@ehBeth,
That's a good reason to brew your own and only from verifiable vendors.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 03:53 pm
@Sturgis,
it would be best if I didn't get a wild hair to move the tea leaves / tea bags to cute containers. should just leave it in original containers but that's so ... safe Laughing
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 04:14 pm
@ehBeth,
A warning about HArney Teas. They use thos "silken bags" that are really poly, and they break down in hot water. Ive taken to cutting the bags and making a potta from just the leaves and sticks therein.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
I've been avoiding all of those pyramidal tea bags. There was something on Quirks and Quarks about them a couple of years ago. My favourite bakeapple tea from Nfld comes in them - I've been giving the bags the chop
to access the innards.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
whatd they say on Quirks n Quarks about the "polysilk" t bags.

(I miss that show-we could get it in Maine but I never found its web site).
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 12:54 pm
@farmerman,
Several carrots (babiefied not baby carrots)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Quirks and Quarks...

(miss that show..
...never found its website).

Here ya go...

www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks
ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 01:13 pm
@farmerman,
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sep-28-2019-plastic-tea-bag-particles-venus-was-habitable-driver-memory-fail-and-more-1.5298362/new-plastic-tea-bags-shed-billions-of-tiny-particles-into-the-cup-1.5298384

Quote:
Not long ago Nathalie Tufenkji, a professor of Chemical Engineering at McGill University in Montreal, was surprised to discover that the tea she'd been served in a local shop came in a plastic tea bag.

The bag was made of a fine synthetic fabric, soft and silky in texture. Tufenkji, whose done research previously on microplastics, was curious about whether the combination of this plastic bag and hot water would cause the plastic to shed microplastic particles into the cup.

She had her student Laura Hernandez shop to find an assortment of these bags, which seem to be relatively new to the market, and then tested them in her lab.

They were alarmed to discover that the bags did indeed shed large amounts of microplastic and nanoplastic particles — billions of them, in fact.

sheesh that was only last year
covid has totally messed my sense of time up

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks

___ just finished listening to this week's episode
you can listen to individual shows/segments or follow the podcast
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 01:52 pm
@Region Philbis,
last year i wrote:
these are outstanding...

https://i.imgur.com/twhVqMd.jpg

so are these...

https://i.imgur.com/bc40he9.jpg

#GoodEats
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 09:25 pm
part of a simit with cheddar/swiss/feta bites, couple of olives on the side

https://cdn.tasteatlas.com/Images/Dishes/fa21c70d6b9d48db9053df2389413a7f.jpg?mw=1300

Quote:
It is believed that simit has been baked in Istanbul since the 1500s, while the name hails from the Arabic word samīd, meaning white bread or fine flour. The dough itself is very similar to that of a bagel, except instead of boiling, the proofed dough is shaped and dipped into fruit molasses with water before being baked with a coating of toasted sesame seeds on top.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 09:36 pm
@ehBeth,
look like softpetzels with poppy seeds. We have an "everything soff pretzel sorta looks like that .
What does your simits taste like. Toronto is a bit larger and more culturally diverse than Lancaster. I think we got 1 Portuguese/American guy and hes in jail .
ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:14 pm
@farmerman,
they are like bagels before they got commercialized. more of a new york or toronto bagel than a montreal bagel. I usually bake them for a few minutes to get a bit of extra crust on them

so good

__

the serbian bakery also makes soft pretzels that are half-done. you bring them home and finish baking them off. warm fresh soft pretzels. yum. if you don't know to bake them they are very salty - from the baking soda based 'glaze' on top. no salty taste once they're baked. the miracle of science eh
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 11:35 am
Set just brought home something he calls short bastards from the Serbian bakery. Toasted one up and had it with leftover Greek Village Salad, leftover potato salad (new orleans style wtf is that) and a bitta tuna and some cherry tomatoes.

the short bastards look a lot like mini bâtards (which makes sense I guess)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/finecooking.s3.tauntonclud.com/app/uploads/2017/04/18195944/051breadbatard-thumb1x1.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 11:50 am
@ehBeth,
Handful of Trader Joe's peanut butter pretzel nuggets
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 02:25 pm
@ehBeth,
saw your answer. A NY bagel tastes a lot like a soft pretzel without the salt. Old fashioned soft prestzels were not these stringy shitty things they cover with butter and sell you at the Airport by Auntie Annes . Auntie Annes would sell their soft pretzels to tourists driving through the Lancaster tourist area. (Theyd get butter all over everything and think it was a treat. Even she said ya oughta pull over, eat em , wash your hands, THEN start driving again.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 02:40 pm
@farmerman,
yeah New York and Toronto bagels are a bit on the soft side. Montreal bagels are much chewier. Definitely my preference.

The soft pretzels at the bakery are sort of in between - esp if you bake them til they're a wee bit crusty.
0 Replies