The Last Thing You Put In Your Mouth....

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:36 pm
@coluber2001,
Injera's one of my favourite things. I love it toasted with pb and jam. Not traditional at all (though peanuts are a traditional Ethiopian dessert/snack). Injera with lamb stew and lentils = paradise.

___

Just snacked on some popcorn while travelling home from the TIFF/Bell Lightbox. Not as good as the popcorn at the Ted Rogers Cinema but hey, it's popcorn and it was free for the volunteers.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Do you make your own injera? I actually bought some teff flour once, but I have never actually made any injera.
chai2

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:19 pm
@coluber2001,
I was just wondering what you do if you run out of the injera and still have a bunch of messy food on your plate.

No scooping up with a spoon, huh?
coluber2001

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:31 pm
@chai2,
LOL

I guess in that case it's every man for himself.
chai2

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:46 pm
@coluber2001,
https://i.imgur.com/18Y3Goc.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 02:46 pm
@coluber2001,
Making injera is a three-day process so I go to my source - an Ethiopian restaurant walking distance from the house. Hirut always has some I can buy which makes me very happy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 02:49 pm
@chai2,
you ask for more injera

you don't ask for a spoon because most of the Ethiopian restos around here don't offer any cutlery - for anything - I suppose they've got ladles in the kitchen but they might not be keen about passing out to FOH

you eat the food the way it's presented, you drink the tea/coffee the way it's presented

I've learned to bring a small spoon in my pocket because I like to add lemon and sugar to my spiced tea (as well as a shot of gin)

we also take our own desserts when we go to Ethiopian restos
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 03:27 pm
1/2 a chicken souvlaki run through the garden
1/3 of a large greek salad

Toula makes good food.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Chocolate ice cream on a cone. My wife just bought strawberry ice cream. That's on my menu for my next ice cream.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 05:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Trader Joe's salted caramel ice cream with Trader Joe's High Fiber O's cereal on top to keep me from feeling too guilty about not doing anything today.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 08:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Never feel guilty about doing nothing, it's actually practice to glide gracefully into retirement.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 08:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Since my last work was doing consulting work, my retirement happened when I had the shingles and didn't work for three months. I called my bosses at all the businesses to tell them I was retiring. I enjoyed work, but retirement was good too, because I had the freedom to travel more. It allowed to me try the food and drinks of many countries. Ate some wild animals in Africa, and kangaroo in Australia.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 09:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yikes, shingles. That's incredibly painful. I had the pleasure of experiencing shingles after waiting for 18 months trying to get the best minds in medicine to figure out why I couldn't get rid of a horrible cough. So, I couldn't get a flu shot or shingles shot until they figured out what was wrong. Thankfully I didn't get the flu but apparently the malaise du jour for me was shingles. I don't remember what my doc wanted me to take, but I do remember she was incredibly relieved when I didn't ask for pain meds.

The last thing I put in my mouth was a toasted kaiser roll. We went out earlier for dinner but I couldn't eat more than a few bites of a crab cake and a baked potato. Even the cole slaw was overly sweet. Well, it was just a few hours and I'll be back to better food Sunday. (It really irks me when they screw up crab meat, it's pricey and deserves much better treatment)
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:02 am
@glitterbag,
Did they ever figure out what the cough was all about?

Green tea.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:11 am
2 zinc tablets
battling off a cold
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:50 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Did they ever figure out what the cough was all about?

Green tea.

Apparently I picked up a bacteria that invaded the esophagus. It sat there for a couple years causing a violent cough. My GI insisted it was a pulmonary issue so off I went. The pulmonary doc believed it was a GI matter. So they ordered chest X-rays that showed nothing, then numerous CAT scans that showed nothing, then the pulmonary doc ordered a bronchoscopy and assured me my lungs were clear. About 5 days after the bronchoscopy, I started to run a fever and was coughing up blood. I could barely standup. Mr, G’bag took me to the ER and after the 4th CAT scan the hospital docs told me I had pneumonia.

I think it was about 6 weeks after the pneumonia I was able to stop the antibiotics but within days the cough was back. Pulmonary doc ordered another CAT scan and then another brochoscopy. This time he was able to culture what looked like a fungal infection but was actually bacteria (actinomycosis). It’s stubborn and I was on antibiotics for an entire year. I asked the doc where I could have picked up the bacteria he just said ‘bad luck’. The best they could figure was that the esophagus was the initial point of infection but the first bronchoscopy introduced the bacteria into my lungs. And that’s when the fun began.

glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:51 am
@glitterbag,
Apparently I do everything the hard way.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 12:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Apparently I do everything the hard way.

I had to laugh at your post. I'm sure all of us have done things the hard way, not only once, but several times. Our stubbornness can be a source of laughing at ourselves.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 02:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Damn.

Makes you appreciate finally getting better, huh?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 04:25 pm
@chai2,
SHINGLES??????
0 Replies