The Last Thing You Put In Your Mouth....

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
Maple syrup, seasoning (contains torula yeast, yeast extract, salt, natural flavour, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate), salt.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:08 pm
@ehBeth,
theres nothing wrong with umami enhancers that are the seaweed varieties but the question Id ask is WHY are we enhancing maple syrup with anything?? Id say its because its diluted a skoshe. The thing with maple syrup is that in the US we can get away with a 4:1 mix and still call it syrup. Does Canada recognize water in a natural syrup that is already 95% water before boiling down??

Ive found little thing like that in Pres Choice Brand .Its also sold in WalMarts(under SAMS CHOICE labels) and SW Loblaws and Food Lions down here
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The thing with maple syrup is that in the US we can get away with a 4:1 mix and still call it syrup.

can't do that here
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:35 pm
@ehBeth,
how do you know. Our laws say the same thing but its almost impossible to detect without an on the spot density and refraction test.

Many syrup farms display their densitometer and RI numbers per 40 gal "batch". They do a better job than the Pa Dept Ag (which for the US is one(if not THEE one) highest ag testing and reg'd for food safety).

NEVER bought anything sugary from states like Mississippi or Arkansas . Sugar content can be screwed with so many ways.

Builder

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:40 pm
@farmerman,
Fresh mango and banana smoothie with real maple syrup.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:58 pm
In my last post I said that I ate: Sushi, deviled egg, and some kinda red thing.

I was hoping someone would ask me about the red thing. Then I would describe it. Then someone would tell me what the hell I ate.

Phooey on you guys.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 11:09 pm
You ate a red thing? I'm not good with this sort of conversation, but it's possible I would know.
BillW

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 11:19 pm
@Roberta,
Sorry Roberta, when it comes to "red things", I steer clear. Nothing but trouble there! You need to take it up with Edgar....... Mr. Green Razz Twisted Evil
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 11:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm sure Roberta knows what a radish is, so that's not it. Probably not a cherry, tomato, cranberry or pomagranate hmmmmm. I don't know.
BillW

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 11:22 pm
@glitterbag,
OK, I'll bite - hunk of raw meat? glitter made me do it Rolling Eyes Shocked Surprised
glitterbag

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 11:32 pm
@BillW,
No I didn't, you have a carnivore's mind. sniff, sniff
BillW

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 11:35 pm
@glitterbag,
Embarrassed Razz Drunk
glitterbag

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 11:39 pm
@BillW,
Well, it's 5 0'clock somewhere Drunk
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 04:47 am
It was on the plate with the olives. It was the size and shape of an olive. However, it was soft. It didn't have a skin like a tomato, nor was it wet and seedy inside. It didn't have much of a taste. It wasn't sweet and it wasn't sour.

I'd call the hostess and ask. Problem is she's 91 years old and her memory is failing. She may not remember that she served red things.

If you guys can't help, I may call her and hope for the best.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 06:20 am
@Roberta,
Only a picture might offer a clue.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 08:45 am
@Roberta,
some roasted red pepper?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 09:27 am
@ehBeth,
Oversized chunk of pimento (since it accompanied an olive)?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 02:38 am
Not pimento, not a roasted pepper. I know what these look like and what they taste like. Thanks for trying.

PS: I checked out grape tomatoes on google. They are the right shape and almost the right color. But my red thing had no skin.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 02:14 pm
@Roberta,
A peeled grape tomato? Like these?
https://i.imgur.com/25IzBFM.jpg

Roberta

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 03:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is a possibility. I wonder if these are cooked in some way so that the skin is easily removed. That would explain the less than juicy tomato insides.

Thanks, kid.