U.S. Military CONFIRM Saddam's Sons Killed in Mosul Raid

Sofia

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:56 am
I wish we'd found another way to prove their deaths.
This, to me, strips us the moral high ground to condemn others when they show our dead troops on TV.

I'm really surprised that our govt made the decision to do this--so soon after our men and women were photographed dead for TV.

Of course, in the current political conspiracy theory environment, I guess the Bush administration would be accused on lying about it--and conspiring with the military to lie about it to boost Bush's popularity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:57 am
cjhsa
insults will get you nowhere
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:04 am
Some people just refuse to see the double standards of this administration. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:15 am
There is no doubt in my mind that we could have established conclusively that the brothers were dead without those pictures.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the Iraqis (or anyone else) had killed important individuals from the United States and sent pictures of their bodies out that were like the pictures we have released -- everyone in America -- right wing; left wing; and middle of the roaders would be justifiably furious over it.

cjsha -- you would be one of the most outspoken if that happened.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:35 am
the higher moral ground is in the basement
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:45 am
I don't see them as having any other choice. Obviously they are trying to protect the troops still in Iraq, with highly questionable results.

Obviously it would have been preferable to take them alive. I suspect the brothers had it planned such that that would never happen.

Frank, do tell how you would prove to 25 million Iraquis that they were dead, without pictures?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:47 am
By the way, my milktoast comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Someone needs to stir things up around here. I'm promoting discourse, not personal attacks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:51 am
cjhsa wrote:

Frank, do tell how you would prove to 25 million Iraquis that they were dead, without pictures?

Well, so that was the reason why it was okay to present the allied soldiers?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:57 am
Hey, some people think Hitler is still alive.

Better read up on your tabloids.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
Question
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:17 pm
cjhsa wrote:

My guess is that you are not going to PROVE to 25 million Iraqis that those brothers are dead by exhibiting those pictues.

The pictures don't look anything like the brothers -- although I have little doubt but that they are of them.

Obviously, while in hiding -- they tried to change their appearances as much as possible -- and I don't know how it looks to you, but to me, it looks as though they did a pretty good job of it.

And quite honestly, the results of the fire-fight did little, in my estimation, to enhance the resemblance to what they looked like while alive.

Humans being what they are, there will always be doubts.

My preference would have been to simply check out the identities with DNA references -- have individuals who knew them well (and who could see through the disguise changes and fire-fight reconstruction) -- and have them identify the bodies. Then publicize the identifications as much as possible.

It would not be completely effective -- but neither are the pictures -- and it would have the advantage of being a great deal more civilized.

In any case, I seriously doubt the death of the brothers or of Saddam himself when his turn comes -- will ease tensions in Iraq. I think things will get noticably worse. We are making the the mistake of thinking that because most of the world hated them -- the Iraqis, as a whole do too.

But I suspect they will see the slaughter of the brothers -- and any of the other high officials as ARABS BEING KILLED BY SATAN. In essence, I see revenge, rather than reassurance, being the end result.

We'll see.

But I hope my explanation made my concerns more palatable to you, cjh. I accept your explanation that you are just trying to stir up conversation and debate. That's an admirable thing. I've been know to do that from time to time myself.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:17 pm
This day of horrible car crash photos (oops, I mean photos of dead men) is undoubtedly going to be cause for confusion among many Americans yet I hope MOST Americans! While we pause to rubber-neck at the grisly photos, will any pause to read the Final Congressional report on 9/11? That there is NO connection between Iraq and al-quaida for that disaster, the ultimate Bush justification for the War on Iraq? I fear that most of the world sees Americans as embarassments or worse as world citizens. Here is a link to how I view other folk's vison of Americans. No, this is no understatement to me.

I think it is larger than a2k allows, so here is the URL
http://sp.fotologs.net/users/c/o/b/a/l/t/cobalt/my_photos/2003/07/24/1059039503.jpg

If the link doesn't work, I will get a smaller version to post...
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:28 pm
Dang, was too large, obviously. Let's try this one and if it doesn't work, I will get it into a public online album to share:

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/D1/C0/EulessBasic/b/12e.jpg

Hoof
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:54 pm
My understanding was that the brothers bodies were identified by several Iraqis who knew them personally. This was widely reported and met only with skepticism from the Iraqi public. I'm sure DNA testing will be done, but it takes awhile.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:58 pm
I just hope they are who they are claimed to be. I'd hate to think that these two sick SOB's might get away.

My kids play soccer. I'm sure glad they didn't work for Udai.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 07:55 am
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:00 am
I just saw some video of their corpses on MSNBC.

They have been cleaned up--embalmer's putty patching the wound on Uday's face; their beards have been shaved--and they look much more as they did, at least according to the pictures of them alive.

This seems a little grotesque to me, however.

Is the administration trying too hard to convince Iraqis of their demise?
0 Replies