U.S. Military CONFIRM Saddam's Sons Killed in Mosul Raid

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:39 am
U.S. Officials Believe Saddam's Sons Killed in Mosul Raid
By Sarmad Jalal Associated Press Writer
Published: Jul 22, 2003

MOSUL, Iraq (AP) - Saddam Hussein's sons Odai and Qusai were believed to have been killed Tuesday in a firefight with U.S. forces at the home of a cousin, a senior U.S. official said. Two other Iraqis also were killed.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said investigators were "awaiting positive DNA testing" to confirm the identities.

The battle took place in this northern city, where residents told an Associated Press Television News cameraman that American soldiers had come to the house looking for Saddam's elder sons.

Members of the 101st Airborne Division had surrounded the house when the fighting broke out. The stone, columned building was left charred and smoldering, its high facade riddled with gaping holes from bullets and heavy weaponry. Kiowa helicopters roamed the sky.

Some Iraqi civilians in Mosul appeared to have been caught in the crossfire. It was not known how many people were injured, but several were taken to a hospital.

In Washington, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld briefed President Bush about the raid in an Oval Office meeting Tuesday morning.

"I am aware of the reports," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters. "I am not in a position to confirm anything."

The United States has offered a $25 million reward for information leading to Saddam's capture and $15 million each for his sons, where were also top leader's in their father's regime.

Also Tuesday, a U.S. soldier was killed and another injured in an ambush along a dangerous road north of Baghdad in the so-called "Sunni Triangle," a center of anti-American resistance

His death brought to 153 the number of U.S. troops killed in action since the March 20 start of war - six more than during the 1991 Gulf War.

U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla., said the attackers used rocket-propelled grenades and small arms in the assault staged along the road between Balad, 50 miles north of Baghdad, and Ramadi, 60 miles west of the capital. It gave no other details.

Both towns lie within the "Sunni Triangle," home to much of the remaining support for Saddam, a Sunni Muslim who used his Baathist Party to oppress the country's Shiite Muslim majority.

The U.S.-led coalition's military occupation of Iraq has been met by constant armed Iraqi resistance, resulting in almost daily deaths of American troops. Many recent assaults have been staged with remote-controlled roadside explosions.

While the military has not released figures on the number of attacks on American forces each day, a senior officer told reporters last week that the attacks were averaging 12 a day.

Seeking to ease fears among exporters to Iraq, the U.S. occupation administration announced it was setting up a trading bank to guarantee payment for imported goods and services,

Outside firms have been hesitant to do business with Iraq, which had been under stiff U.N. economic sanctions since invading Kuwait in 1990, out of worries about being paid.

The new Trade Bank of Iraq, the coalition civilian administration said, will have a pool of $100 million to draw from, with an initial capitalization of $5 million.

The money to support the bank comes from the $1.2 billion Development Fund for Iraq set up by the United States with United Nations approval of the American occupation plan.

It is hoped the new bank will expedite the purchase of materials needed for rebuilding Iraq, including power generators, sewage pipes and oil field equipment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,520 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 12:44 pm
If they are dead -- they are dead!

Any gloating is much more than unseemly -- it is uncivilized.

I hope that is not the direction this takes.

(I'm talking about events in general, not about this thread. Although I would hope people debating in A2K are above gloating over something like this.)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 12:51 pm
I had the same thought, when I first read this article, Frank. I just passed it by.

No matter what they've done--It is hard to imagine anyone getting a boost out of their deaths. I would've gotten a boost from their captures--from hoping we would get some accurate information about weapons programs, and the location of their father--
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:15 pm
Well, there is really nothing to gloat about, but the very fact that their location became known to the U.S. commanders, shows that there are friends of the USA among the Iraqi population: I am almost sure that the Arab collaborators helped to locate Husseins-juniors.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:18 pm
It seems to me some people are missing the point; just because we know the location of enemies, that doesn't justify shooting first and asking questions later - unless it's self-defense. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:26 pm
C.I. wrote:
just because we know the location of enemies, that doesn't justify shooting first and asking questions later - unless it's self-defense. c.i.
The troops were sent to arrest Saddam's sons. They resisted arrest and were killed in a resulting skirmish. They did not leave to their potential investigators any chance to ask questions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
I do not think my statement needs any further explanations. c.i.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 03:29 pm
Central Command: Saddam's two sons dead
NEWS RELEASE
HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES CENTRAL COMMAND
7115 South Boundary Boulevard
MacDill AFB, Fla. 33621-5101
Phone: (813) 827-5894; FAX: (813) 827-2211; DSN 651-5894
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 22, 2003
Release Number: 03-07-68
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STATEMENT REGARDING OPERATION IN MOSUL, IRAQ

Statement from US Central Command:

On Tuesday, July 22, forces associated with the 101st Airborne Division and Special Operations Forces conducted an operation against suspected regime figures at a residence in Mosul, Iraq. The site is currently being exploited. Four Iraqis were killed in the operation. We have confirmed that two of the dead were Saddam's sons Uday and Qusay.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 03:35 pm
Saddam's grandson also killed
I'm not at all sorry that Saddam's two sons were killed. They both were arrogant brutal sociopaths who killed and tortured thousand of Iraqis. Some considered them more deadly than Saddam himself.

Keep in mind that when US troops arrive at the house in which the sons were barricaded, they opened fire on US troops first. This confirmed the report from am Iraqi "walk-in" report of their presence in the house.

I am sorry that the 14 year old grandson was also killed. One would hope that at his age, he might have had the opportunity not to follow his the footsteps of his father and his grandfather, but that is doubtful in that family.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 03:47 pm
BBB, I'm with you; I can't feel sorry for the killing of Saddam's two sons and whoever else was in that location, because they fired first. A criminal has the chance to surrender or fight it out with guns. They chose the latter. c.i.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:55 pm
This is good news for Iraq, for our soldiers, and for all Americans.

Continued Iraqi resistance will--perhaps, but IMO likely--be demoralized by the loss of their "leaders". If that is the case then the guerrilla attacks decrease.

Iraqi people have (again IMO) more reason to feel that their country moves away from a wretched past and toward a more stable future. Oday and Qusay were much more likely than their father to make some sort of comeback.

And all of that hastens the day when our military men and women can return home safely.

To me it's all good.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:53 pm
steissd, BumbleBeeBoogie and PDiddie: I completely agree with what each of you has posted, however, I can't help but wonder if PDiddie is truly sincere (seeing as how you apparently are a part of our lovely current administration). Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:13 pm
Have no idea what you mean, angelina. PDiddie isn't always pleasant, but never lacks for sincerity.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:18 pm
steissd consider that we have friends of 15 million in iraq not friends of ours.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:47 pm
That's right, Bi_Polar. It all boils down to the money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:54 pm
I say it's good these two criminals are gone and I agree with PDiddie that the best scenario would be if stability should occur. Then the Iraqi people get a new government and the rest of our soldiers come home alive.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:20 pm
If the gurrilla warfare slows down, and our troops get to come home sooner than later, I have not one iota of bad feelings about the killing of Saddam's children and grandchild. c.i.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:06 pm
roger wrote:
Have no idea what you mean, angelina. PDiddie isn't always pleasant, but never lacks for sincerity.

Roger: it was my attempt at humor! Rolling Eyes I also have no idea as to either how pleasant or how sincere PDiddie is, but since I am not one to make snap judgements, I certainly believe there is no problem in either area. Please note that PDiddie's avatar is that of Dick Cheney and so, naturally, I would wonder at the sincerity of such a post made by the VP (next in line to Karl Rove, I believe Laughing ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:17 pm
angelina, Your presumptions about PDid's avatar is right on the money, but I can assure you that PDid is a gentleman and a scholar unlike his picture. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:21 am
OIC Very Happy
0 Replies