Senior Citizen Communities

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:55 pm
Most people are familiar with Senior Citizen communities, where houses are for sale to people of a minimum age (usually 55). I realize that a Senior Citizen community is an exception to the Fair Housing Act, and that a community can lose that exception if the builder sells 20% or more of the units to persons under the minimum age. Is there some place, perhaps a governmental agency, that might have pamphlets or some form of information spelling it all out for prospective buyers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 755 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:57 am
bump.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:27 pm
http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/seniors/index.cfm

has a link to The Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA)

Depending on what state you are in, the developer/seller may have to provide the covenants and bylaws stating the rules.

P
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:03 pm
Pauligirl: Many thanks! By the way, I laughed (involuntarily) at your nom de plume. Do you know its history?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:27 pm
Woollcott wrote:
Pauligirl: Many thanks! By the way, I laughed (involuntarily) at your nom de plume. Do you know its history?

I know there's a beer....
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 03:51 pm
Pauligirl:
"St. Pauli" is the world famous "red-light" district of Hamberg, Germany. "Pauli girl" is a euphemism for the "working girls" of the district. The first "pauligirl" beer was sold there about 100-150 years ago. My guess is that the present beer of that name is not related to, nor is as strong as, the original.
0 Replies