This piece of rubbish sold for $54 million

Don1

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:48 pm
They have to be kidding, I wouldn't swop a bag of sherbet lemons for this piece of junk. Am I missing the point here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/paintingflowers/paintings/sunflowers_van_gogh.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,672 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:07 pm
I like Gauguin better, Don, but he and Vincent were rather close.

http://www.janetomlinson.com/journal/files/jane_gauguinguitarplayer.jpg
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:12 pm
Re: This piece of rubbish sold for $54 million
Don1 wrote:
They have to be kidding, I wouldn't swop a bag of sherbet lemons for this piece of junk. Am I missing the point here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/paintingflowers/paintings/sunflowers_van_gogh.shtml

Would you swap a bag of sherbet lemons for $54 million?

(just checking...)
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:24 pm
ebrown, once you have paid $54 million for this mind numbing rubbish where are you going to find someone stupid enough to give you your $54 million investment back?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:26 pm
well, i hear he was kind of a big deal, that van Gogh.

...as was his grandson Theo.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:29 pm
Don1 wrote:
ebrown, once you have paid $54 million for this mind numbing rubbish where are you going to find someone stupid enough to give you your $54 million investment back?

If you are in this unhappy predicament, I just so happen to have this bag of lemons.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 05:03 pm
Letty wrote:
I like Gauguin better, Don, but he and Vincent were rather close.

http://www.janetomlinson.com/journal/files/jane_gauguinguitarplayer.jpg[/quotethe example you give Letty, would you want it on your drawing room wall so that you could gaze at it every day?] I wouldn't hang it in the toilet
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 05:07 pm
I'va always loved Van Gogh's paintings. Not every single stroke he painted, but the majority of it.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 03:38 am
Or how about this piece of tripe at JUST $104 million

http://www.overstockart.com/boywithpipe.html

click on link then zoom in
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 03:54 am
$104 million? It's advertised on the link for $99!

Maybe there were a lot of shipping costs involved?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 03:55 am
Don, art is rather like wine. If one sees something that is pleasing to the eye, then it is good. When having a glass of wine, if it pleases the palate, then it is good.

As I am given to understand, "living with Picasso", was horrendous, but his blue period, especially The Tragedy, was one with which I could identify.

http://www.canvasreplicas.com/images/Tragedy%20Pablo%20Picasso.jpg
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 04:05 am
Letty, much as I agree with you about certain works of art appealing to certain people, I would think that these crazy prices are reached purely because of the rarity and kudos factors.
If a tycoon has money to throw away, he'll probably buy a Van Gogh, Picasso etc., so that he can show his social circle how rich he is.
It's not such a risk really, if you have that sort of money.
As long as you can keep it safe for a few years, there'll always be another buyer out there somewhere who'll take it off your hands for more than you paid.

It's not so bad when these rare items end up being bought by a museum and put on display, but most of the private buyers will just stick them away in a dusty old vault somewhere, if truth be known.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 04:59 am
I think that may be a print of the original malek Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:58 am
Obviously this is not a school for art connoisseurship. If you dont "get it" then noone can convince you or bring you up to speed about the body of work by van Gogh. He represents another level of achivement in the Post Impressionist genre that doesnt contain a lot of examples really. His bofy of work ws not huge but he went in different directions after the "academy" hold was broken in the 1860's. van Gogh presages modernism and all the weird workd we have come to appreciate.

I find his work loaded with passion and skill at what he was trying to achieve.

As far as the prices, remember, the buying public for all thee works around the world is but a few thousand people who , mostly loan the works to museums for the "attaboys" they get from doing so.
Locking up in a private vault is only (really) representative of works that were stolen in WWII and have yet to be repatriated.

You kinda sound like Frank Rizzo when he spoke out about works by Rauschenburg and Oldfield and Judy Chicago.

van Gogh wsnt a camera, he was an interpreter.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:04 pm
Farmerman I have no doubt that your comment is perfectly logical and sensible but in my defence may I say that as an ordinary working guy this stuff goes straight past me Confused
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:06 pm
Letty, thank you for your perfectly sensible comments as well

and to everyone that posted Very Happy
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:45 pm
I can't see the value myself, but that has little to do with whether or not it has value. Typically; a painting of that caliber is worth at least whatever was paid last, and they seldom, if ever, go down. Wasted money? Not. Rare art is probably among the safest investments money can buy. (I'll take Picasso over Van Gogh any day… though the Van Gogh Double Espresso makes a fine Martini).
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 04:53 am
Letty wrote:
Don, art is rather like wine. If one sees something that is pleasing to the eye, then it is good. When having a glass of wine, if it pleases the palate, then it is good.

Have to say I don't agree with you at all there Letty. Is art always what looks nice? What about Damien Hirsts rotting bulls? They don't look nice, and I certainly wouldn't want them anywhere near my dinner.

I find this thread particually interesting, because it reminds me of me and my Dad. He works in a factory, and I have just finished art school.
He thinks my opinions aren't based in reality, I say that the art world is too different to working in a factory for him to understand much about it.
What I have learned about art, is that the majority of people try to understand it in a practical sense, which results in them not understanding it.

Why are VanGoughs sunflowers so good? They don't really look that much like sunflowers to be honest. They aren't that realistic or that interesting.
What makes this orange-mud-covered-canvas worth as much as it is, is that it was different to other paintings at the time, and therefore influenced a whole load of other artists afterwards, each one causing an uproar of controversy as their paintings become more and more experimental, and then put on a pedestal and idolised for ages afterward.
To art collectors and enthusiasts this is very interesting. To a load of other people- who cares?
I can understand the confusion that surrounds paintings being worth so much. But I can also understand why they are worth what they are worth. I think acceptance is crucial to 'understanding' art.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 05:41 am
P.Q., art is an individualized thing. Just as poetry and music, it speaks to different people in different ways. What one may like today, may change tomorrow. Let's call it a variation on a theme. Often I feel that the truly great artist recognizes the dilettante in the viewer or listener, and panders to that. Frankly, I like Starry Night, but only because Don McLean sang so beautifully about it.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:05 am
Yes I know it is individual and speaks to different people in different ways.
What is your argument?
0 Replies