Plain blue desktop

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:49 am
For some reason, I can't change my desktop backround anymore. It's stuck on the same plain dark blue. When I go to the control panel the usual ways I browse and select a new picture aren't highlighted. Anyone know what's up with this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,394 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 02:00 am
Yes I solved this recently snood, But cant remember how off the top of my head, I'll have a look at it and be back shortly.

Incidentally it was (or seemed to be) as a result of a spyware infection that I ended up with a blue desktop. perhaps you should have a scan.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 02:16 am
I scan regularly with SuperAntiSpyware (suggested to me last year by Timberlandko), but that hasn't changed my blue desktop.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:47 am
Ok here we go.

Windows XP start, control panel, display properties, you should now have a window that has tabs for the following, themes, desktop, screensaver, appearance, and settings click on the desktop tab, choose browse choose your picture. Apply.

or scroll through the list, highlite the theme you want, right at the bottom of the list you may have a theme that is the name of the picture you are/have been using. Highlite it then click browse and find that picture again, double click the picture or click open. click apply in the desktop tab

I seem to remember having the same problem as you, the desktop tab did not seem to be there but its definitly there now.

I'm guessing this is something to do with a reaction between a recent windows update and either spyware or the spyware scanning programs. I usually use counterspy and did so today after posting here are lost my desktop photo. However my son had a couple of hours on the computer after the scan finished so I cant say that catagorically
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:54 am
Can't you just right click a picture and set it that way.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:01 am
So you can edgar, you are one intelligent bugger (for a yank).

snood: open the folder with the picture you want. right click the picture, choose "set as desktop background"
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:38 am
When I get to the "display properties" window in the control panel, the "browse" button simply isn't lit up - it is dimmed, and it isn't possible to click on it and choose anything.

When I right-click on a picture, although "set as desktop backround" is one of the selections, when I click on it, absolutely nothing happens.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:43 am
Right click on your image, snood, and tell me what happens.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:44 am
(after you hit "set as desktop background")
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:49 am
Ok, that's all I have.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:31 am
Fixed it - I found a series of commands to run, on a windows XP helpsite. Now I can change my desktop.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:35 pm
Good. Glad I could help.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:24 pm
If only everyone could be as helpful as you gustavratzenhofer....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:00 pm
please, don't be so formal, call him gus.
0 Replies