Help me fnd my father

carmenlovescats

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:59 am
There are some searches were you can type the fulll name and birthdate then they will give u names and addresses and u can try and firgure out which one is your father. They might cost money but don't u think it's worth it to find your father?
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:09 am
My suggestion would be to research the last name through the rootsweb genealogy boards. You may find your grandparents, aunts etc.
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:14 am
By the way, at rootsweb.com, there is a social security death search. All you have to do is type in first and last name.

If he is dead, at least it will show up there. Remember, there may be alot of people with the same name.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:19 am
missconduct wrote:
By the way, at rootsweb.com, there is a social security death search. All you have to do is type in first and last name.

If he is dead, at least it will show up there. Remember, there may be alot of people with the same name.

The problem is, and I don't know why, is that the Social Security Death Index does not have everybody. For instance, my mom, who died this year is on the list. My dad, grandad and grandmother, who died in the 60s-70s are not on the list, although my grandfather's brothers are. I have always wondered why that is.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:18 am
My guess is that this info is input by (human group or groups as opposed to program or scanner) whose historic listings might NOT be from AS complete a period of time as compared to those listings of the massively-pervasive computer age post-1990. This might mean the listings are from Clerk of Court (like those of Real Estate listings, Birth, Death Records from local communities) or it's possibly from SS admin. themselves. Naughty SS Admin, spank spank! Though, when I looked up my Mom's info from 1967 and my Dad's from 1980 (both in MA), they both showed up.

Here's a casual thought: maybe you might want to consider investigating why your relatives don't show up on the list (call SS Admin, possibly)? This might reveal something useful...like refunds or pay-off of benefits from SS Admin, Fed or State taxes or something equally rewarding? Not sure of statute of limitations, though from '60s or '70s. Just a thought.

Hope that helps.
0 Replies