Academic research

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:37 pm
I am presently doing some research, and understand that there are on-line sites which contain archives of articles on a large number of subjects: articles from academic journals, newspaper and magazine articles, etc. How do access these sites. Are they known by a particular description?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,514 • Replies: 21
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 10:17 pm
As well there are style journals and the various pubs to which you may be submitting, will all have a different editorial policy. Waht area of research we talking about?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 02:26 am
Alot of (free) articles can be found via LookSmart-Find articles.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:03 am
Thank you for the citation Walter. This was a particularily useful site. You seem to have an infinite number of useful sites, and I've added many of them to my bookmark lists.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:05 am
google scholar might be usefull
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:07 am
If you've got a college/university library nearby, the librarians there can direct you to huge array of electronic resources to which the school should be subscribed. There is quite a bit that's available for free, but most peer-reviewed articles are available by subscription only. Articles are generally available for purchase, but they're very expensive -- it's not uncommon to have to pay $15 to $30 for access to an academic article online.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:19 am
patiodog wrote:
it's not uncommon to have to pay $15 to $30 for access to an academic article online.

Really?

Those articles I can't get for free (printed, stored/online) from my univeristy's library directly, I get for $1.32 (= 1 Euro, you buy a TAN) ... either as pdf-data file on my computer at home, or printed out or copied at the library's desks.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 10:34 am
It depends on what you're looking for. The heading is "academic research," and on the off chance that the author of the thread actually needs scholarly articles, it's going to cost somebody a fair amount of money. (Hopefully it's costing the library.)

Popular press articles and web-only publications is another matter entirely.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 10:47 am
Well, I was referring to scholarly articles.

Just made a quick random search.

This Greek (with English summary) article would cost me 1.50 Euro (they went up, I forgot). I would get it delivered to my computer but as a copy, Tuesday in the library.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4v7bcrb.jpg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 11:13 am
Okay. I'm just familiar with what it usually costs to purchase articles from peer-reviewed scientific journals, which is all I'm familiar with.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:53 pm
Thanks to everyone!
I think I got at least two good leads. The reason I ask is that I just finished a thesis, and want to expand it to a book. My present idea is to expand on just about every separate subject I discussed in the thesis - and my present "fund" of information would not include a large portion of the "new information" for the book. From the messages between at least two "responders" I now know that the research sites will most likely charge. For a couple of you, your library has been of great assistance. In doing the thesis, I had the assistance of the school library - but will not have that now since I live in an area pretty far removed from a college or university.
Do town or college libraries offer similar services to locals who are doing research? Are these libraries part of "Inter-library loan?"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:05 pm
I have the same experience as P-dog. A peered sci article is in the "up to 30$" an article and we have included such articles in our budgets. Certain "site realted" special data and interpretation can run up to 500$ for a search.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:14 pm
Academic research
I just posted a reply, but when I came back it wasn't in the thread. What happened?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:19 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Alot of (free) articles can be found via LookSmart-Find articles.

Walter...THANK YOU!!!!

I am checking that site now....and I am finding a lot of useful stuff.

Sadly, it is missing some key articles I really wanted, but who looks a gift horse in the mouth!

Any other good ideas?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:28 pm
Youve all. no doubt used Science Citation Index, or Social Science Citation Index. All run by the Thompson Company as they bought out ISI in the 90's. Scie Citation Index is key information about "who subsequently cited a paper that is important to your research?".
The concept is simple, if you have a seminal paper in a subject, you run an SCI search and the result of the earch is a list of who has later cited this same paper. The assumption is that the subjects are strongly linked.
Most all funding organizations will ask, as part of your proposal, to do an in-depth search for what else in your specific area has been going on (They wanna make sure that YOU know whats going on before they throw money at you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 10:06 pm
Woollcott wrote:
Do town or college libraries offer similar services to locals who are doing research? Are these libraries part of "Inter-library loan?"

I strongly doubt that municipal libraries will give you the sort of access you might need. Is there any sort of small college -- community college, technical college -- near you? If cost is going to be an issue, it might be economical to enroll in a one or two credit course at a junior college to get access to their library, if it will get you interlibrary loan and electronic access. (Electronic access may be somewhat limited at such institutions, since the library has to subscribe to a journal to get access to it electronically.)
whiteviolet

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 12:26 pm
Ingenta and Ebsco are two excellent ones to check. Good luck.
Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:45 pm
Whiteviolet--

Thank you.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:48 am
I have had a lot of people recommend this site to me. I haven't, however, looked into it so far. It costs money!

Also, for magazine articles and back issues, I would recommend EBSCO database.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:59 pm
Does the Library of Congress or a similar institution assist, or grant access to it's records to the general public?
0 Replies