Borat

kickycan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:07 pm
Why do you think slapstick humor is any cheaper or easier than any other kind of humor?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:08 pm
And by the way, some of it was slapstick, but a lot of it was actually pretty damn smart and clever.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:12 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
Borat is Kazistani, right? Didn't the Kazistanis protest the movie for the way they were portrayed in the movie?

Sorry if you get this but I re-read your posts and it's not clear -- you know that Borat is just a character, created by a British comedian named Sacha Baron Cohen, right?

(Haven't seen Borat yet, really want to.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:28 pm
I also did not find Borat very funny. I thought it was vulgar. I heard Sacha Baron Cohen on NPR and thought he was very funny, but Borat bothered me more than it made me laugh. It was also disturbing when I came out of the theatre and a group of young teens were sitting in the food court singing "Throw the Jew Down the Well".

I do like some slapstick, but more like the Marx Brothers, Mel Brooks or Zero Mostel. I love satire like The Daily Show or the original Saturday Night Live. I prefer Jay Leno to Letterman. I saw Rosanne Barr back in the early 80's and thought she was great. I hated "Something About Mary" loved "The Mouse that Roared". I think most humor today is just cheap shots about sex, poop and race.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:35 pm
Borat is intended to bother, I suspect. I am usually not a fan of vulgar, but I like what Borat does. Making fun of racism and prejudices is always ok in my book. As is slapstick humor, if it has a purpose.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:52 pm
Borat meets Regis Philbin... Now this one is purposeless, but still funny.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 04:46 pm
kickycan wrote:
Why do you think slapstick humor is any cheaper or easier than any other kind of humor?

Kicky, slapstick is not cheaper than any other kind of humor, it's different though, but when I said "cheap slapstick" I am referring to a lame plot
that delivers repetitive sketches/lines that we've seen before.
Compared to British comedy it's just below mediocre.

Being humorous is actually hard work.

There was a movie once "Coming to America" and that was quite funny
and entertaining.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:08 am
dagmaraka wrote:
sometimes vulgarity has a purpose. Sacha Baron Cohen himself is apparently an educated well-mannered person. I think his humor is meant to show us the ugly and prejudiced in us and learn about ourselves through laughing at ourselves.

I'm not a tremendous fan, but I like Borat OK.

He's actually a pretty good looking man too. It was weird the first time I saw him NOT as Borat.....I was like, who IS that?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:15 am
Not a great picture but he looks totally different.

http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/sacha-baron-cohen1.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:51 am
I like.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:08 am
Green Witch wrote:
I also did not find Borat very funny. I thought it was vulgar. I heard Sacha Baron Cohen on NPR and thought he was very funny, but Borat bothered me more than it made me laugh. It was also disturbing when I came out of the theatre and a group of young teens were sitting in the food court singing "Throw the Jew Down the Well".

I do like some slapstick, but more like the Marx Brothers, Mel Brooks or Zero Mostel. I love satire like The Daily Show or the original Saturday Night Live. I prefer Jay Leno to Letterman. I saw Rosanne Barr back in the early 80's and thought she was great. I hated "Something About Mary" loved "The Mouse that Roared". I think most humor today is just cheap shots about sex, poop and race.

That's interesting. I don't think Borat inspires or perpetuates racism as he does expose the racism people already posess. The kids singing "Throw the Jew Down the Well" don't get the joke, or that they're a punchline like all the other hapless retards exposed in the film.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:23 am
Sacha Baron Cohen is a comedy genius and Borat is one of the funniest films I have seen.

Favorite bit : when he is looking for a pet to protect him and sees a turtle he asks the guy "Is this a cat in a hat?"

The guy says "no, it's a turtle, in a shell"

Mwahahahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jagshemesh!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:28 am
purchased borat about a month ago (with some bonus points we had) .
we've watched it twice and really understood it when we watched it for the second time .
i really don't think it's supposed to be a comedy - like andy kaufman or marx brothers .
imo it's holding up a mirror to society . YES , it is vulgar at times - just like our society is at times (actually , i think borat is less vulgar than our society - but that's just my opinion) .
we've passed it on to two other elderly couples WITH SUITABLE WARNINGS about the vulgar parts . they both told us that they thought it was a well made "mockumentary" - and we agree .
i have difficulty understanding how people could so easily fall for his antics and freely agree to take part in being ridiculed ???
hbg
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:32 am
Hamburger, I think you're right about it being a "mirror up to society". As for the people being fooled, they must be pretty dumb not to realise. Apparently, the only real actors in the film were the guy who plays Azamat Bagatov the producer and Lunelle the prostitute.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:41 pm
Tonight, I finally saw the film. I had heard so much already and seen clips...... And heard reviews. I guess I was expecting more. I do understand what he's doing. I get that he wants us to be uncomfortable. But, I only laughed a few times (the naked wrestling and the dog poop at dinner were two).
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:08 pm
Did you watch the extras on the DVD? The massage scene is pretty funny.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:18 pm
Hey, no! My parents had fallen asleep. Maybe I will before we return the dvd.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:45 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Did you watch the extras on the DVD? The massage scene is pretty funny.

Yeah that was funny. I also like the "SexyDrownWatch" Baywatch thing.

Laughing
0 Replies

official

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 01:43 am
This was a very good film!
0 Replies

ita

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:06 am
i liked it. i prefer sasha as ali g, though. but, if you don't like borat, don't bother, it's a similar type of humour.
0 Replies