Why Don't Christians ever present any evidence?

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:39 am
I came here to the forums to hear some real discussion on religion related issues which I cared about. However, I have been disappointed so far.

I don't hear any Christian defend their stance, all they do is attack others.

WHY?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,606 • Replies: 199
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:41 am
They enjoy jerking your chain . . .
0 Replies

I Stereo

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:46 am
I could use a good chain jerking... It's been a dry spell lately. But even I have standards.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:47 am
I don't . . . they just get in the way . . . Hell, i'm even willing to converse with you . . .
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:00 pm
Re: Why Don't Christians ever present any evidence?
I Stereo wrote:
I came here to the forums to hear some real discussion on religion related issues which I cared about. However, I have been disappointed so far.

I don't hear any Christian defend their stance, all they do is attack others.

WHY?

I will make a deal with you. For every "attack" that a christian has made on this board - I'll provide at least 3 times as many attacks that have been directed at christians. If (when) I do this - you must apologize on here for the hypocrisy. If I am wrong - I will apologize for the hypocrisy!

Deal? :wink:

Then - after we're finished with that little exercise in perspective - we'll talk about your title-question.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:00 pm
I Stereo wrote:
Why Don't Christians ever present any evidence?

What kind of evidence are you referring to?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:02 pm
Don't listen to Baddog--he considers it an attack when he or any of the rest of the god superstition crowd post their silly stories, and get laughed at for having an imaginary friend. Don't do the deal unless you can get an impartial, outside judge.

If you do agree to it, though, you can start with threads such as "Atheists, your life is meaningless."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:14 pm
You can't provide empirical proof for or against any entity that exists outside of our perception of space and time such as the word supernatural implies. all you can do is provide anecdotal or circumstantial evidence which has to be evaluated according to personal standards.

So, if you could accurately post your personal standards, I might be able to provide you with evidence.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:23 pm
Setanta wrote:
Don't listen to Baddog--he considers it an attack when he or any of the rest of the god superstition crowd post their silly stories, and get laughed at for having an imaginary friend. Don't do the deal unless you can get an impartial, outside judge.

If you do agree to it, though, you can start with threads such as "Atheists, your life is meaningless."

So what impartial, outside judge - determined your description here:
Quote:
"...he considers it an attack when he or any of the rest of the god superstition crowd post their silly stories, and get laughed at for having an imaginary friend..."

Funny how that river doesn't flow both ways isn't it? :wink:

My offer stands.
0 Replies

I Stereo

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:32 pm
Baddog1 - You misunderstand. I am referring to the fact that Christians never post any evidence to support their beliefs, all they do is try to dismantle other's arguements. I believe this is called an arguement from incredulty.

I'd like to see evidence to prove creationism, a great flood, jesus, etc. Further, I want evidence that isn't man made.

Neo - Can't prove or disprove God? The burden of proof falls on the people trying to prove god exists. And as far as I'm concerned, The criteria I'd use to prove for that is the amazing claims that would validate God in the form that has been claimed.

Prove God.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:36 pm
I Stereo wrote:
Baddog1 - You misunderstand. I am referring to the fact that Christians never post any evidence to support their beliefs, all they do is try to dismantle other's arguements. I believe this is called an arguement from incredulty.

I'd like to see evidence to prove creationism, a great flood, jesus, etc. Further, I want evidence that isn't man made.

Neo - Can't prove or disprove God? The burden of proof falls on the people trying to prove god exists. And as far as I'm concerned, The criteria I'd use to prove for that is the amazing claims that would validate God in the form that has been claimed.

Prove God.
State standards.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:39 pm
baddog1 wrote:
Quote:
"...he considers it an attack when he or any of the rest of the god superstition crowd post their silly stories, and get laughed at for having an imaginary friend..."

Funny how that river doesn't flow both ways isn't it? (childish emoticon removed in the interest of good taste.)

My offer stands.

I didn't assert that i am the impartial outside judge. The river certainly does flow both ways, if there is an impartial outside judge.

Your offer is meaningless, it's just the sort of whining we are used to from religionists here. When your thesis is fantastical, and you whine that you have been attacked when people laugh at your fantasies, you simply make yourself look a fool.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
Quote:

Funny how that river doesn't flow both ways isn't it? (childish emoticon removed in the interest of good taste.)

My offer stands.

I didn't assert that i am the impartial outside judge. The river certainly does flow both ways, if there is an impartial outside judge.

Your offer is meaningless, it's just the sort of whining we are used to from religionists here. When your thesis is fantastical, and you whine that you have been attacked when people laugh at your fantasies, you simply make yourself look a fool.

Dodgeball. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:53 pm
No dodging there. That knife cuts both ways. I don't whine about meally-mouthed religionists who take pot shots at me for not believing their drivel. It is, however, common for religionists to whine that they have been attacked because someone has ridiculed their fairy stories.

Note the example you chose: he considers it an attack when he or any of the rest of the god superstition crowd post their silly stories, and get laughed at for having an imaginary friend. That remark does not characterize you in an insulting manner, and makes no comment on your worth, or lack thereof, as a person, for holding such silly beliefs.

You equate the criticism of what you believe with a personal attack. It is an unwarranted assumption, and evidence of precisely what i was saying. That you whine that you have been attacked whenever anyone criticizes your imaginary friend superstition.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:01 pm
What we need is someone whose point of view lies in neither reward nor license.

Me, I guess. :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:03 pm
I Stereo wrote:

Prove God.

Are you asking for 'natural' (i.e. empirical or scientific) proof of the 'supernatural'?

Isn't that a bit like trying to smell a color , or trying to hear a photograph ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:06 pm
Here we go again.

You keep trotting out that weak argument, you really should update your material when it gets ridiculed.

[url=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/synesthesia][b]The Free Dictionary-dot-com[/b][/url] wrote:
syn·es·the·sia also syn·aes·the·sia n.

1. A condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.
2. A sensation felt in one part of the body as a result of stimulus applied to another, as in referred pain.
3. The description of one kind of sense impression by using words that normally describe another.

There is actually a much simpler argument for the position you are advancing, but i don't intend to do your homework for you.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:15 pm
I Stereo wrote:

Prove God.

As has been stated; what sort of evidence do you desire and what is your definition of 'proof'?

The action that you're describing as an argument from personal incredulity is commonly used by nearly everyone - however I am unsure that it applies in this case. (LOL - that last statement is an AFPI!) Laughing

As for NEO - (Simplistically) I think his position is that he has all the proof of God that he requires for his personal being. [Much like a physician might conclude that their work as 'proof', that a judge considers their rulings as 'proof', that a captain considers their paths across the oceans/seas/etc as 'proof' and so on.] What each of those people consider to be their 'proofs' may or may not be sufficient for you.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
No dodging there. That knife cuts both ways. I don't whine about meally-mouthed religionists who take pot shots at me for not believing their drivel. It is, however, common for religionists to whine that they have been attacked because someone has ridiculed their fairy stories.

Note the example you chose: he considers it an attack when he or any of the rest of the god superstition crowd post their silly stories, and get laughed at for having an imaginary friend. That remark does not characterize you in an insulting manner, and makes no comment on your worth, or lack thereof, as a person, for holding such silly beliefs.

And I didn't consider it as such. Confused

Setanta wrote:
You equate the criticism of what you believe with a personal attack. It is an unwarranted assumption, and evidence of precisely what i was saying. That you whine that you have been attacked whenever anyone criticizes your imaginary friend superstition.

Huh? Who's whining? Where did I whine? Is this an unwarranted assumption? :wink: :wink: :wink: (childish emoticons added - because I chose to.) Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:27 pm
Physicians don't consider their work to be "proof." A reputable physician applies the results of scientific investigation and clinical trial to diagnosis and prognosis to determine a course of treatment. If that the course of treatment fails, and post mortem may likely reveal that the diagnosis was incorrect, or that the course of treatment was inappropriate. A physician who sends more patients to the coroner rather than sending them home is not likely to continue to practice for very long--although a good many have shown amazing resourcefulness in continuing to practice medicine despite numerous examples of malpractice.

Judges don't consider their rulings to be "proof" of anything. A judge rules based upon findings of fact and findings of law. If there is a jury empaneled, the jury makes the finding of fact, and the judge applies statutory punishments in the event of a conviction. Judges who rule incorrectly, who interfere with the jury or make inappropriate instructions to the jury are subject to being overturned on appeal. When the principle entailed in a case at law is unclear, judges make appeal to the precedent of other rulings. Judges don't seek to "prove" anything with their rulings.

A mariner lays a course over the ocean through the application of navigational skills, which require a knowledge of practical astronomy and the mathematical abilities required for algebra, geometry and trigonometry. A mariner doesn't seek to "prove" anything. If a mariner fails to lay a proper course, then they face several unpleasant prospects--they might still be at sea when their provisions run out, or they may awake in the middle of the night to find themselves on a lee shore, and have only moments before their vessel wrecks.

Choosing a mariner was really stupid, because navigation involves skills which can be taught, and which when properly employed, produce the same results each time. Someone's superstitious and idiosyncratic belief in a deity cannot produce results of any kind, and therefore cannot be replicated to "prove" anything.

That attempt to construct an analogy for what Neo considers "proof" was a complete load of horseshit.
0 Replies