What kind of paintbrush?

caribou

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:45 pm
My vote
(yeah, I'm a little late seeing this thread today, but...)
Sharpie paint markers should be fine.
Looks like Michael's has them.

Next time, (if there is a next time and you want colored flames), with the flame stencil, try red and yellow spray paint. Spray yellow from the tips of the flames to about half way down stencil. Spray the red from bottom to middle, fading it into the yellow...Let the paint dry just a little, don't need to use a lot of spray, and you can go back with the yellow and the red til you get it the way you like.

This is the kind of stuff I do at work.

Have fun!
Mo's room is going to be cool!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:11 pm
What do you do, caribou?

Do you want to come help me paint?

I'll have to check my courage level tomorrow to see what direction I go. The Sharpies sound easier but I'm willing to experiment!

This is my first attempt at anything remotely like this.

Mo wants "Harley-Davidson" flames on his walls so I thought I would practice a bit on something more easily repainted.

So.

If I were to want to paint something like this on the walls -- and not have it be overwhelming. And not using silver and black as my main colors....

...how would I go about it?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:58 am
spray cans give off too large a droplet. You need a true aspirating unit that produces a micro "fog" . There are a number of cheap attachments that you can add to spray cans to turn them into air brushes (of a sort) Then your colors would be smoothly interlocking.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:53 am
Okay.

I'm back from the art supply and I decided on paint. The Sharpies were tempting but to get a fat line you had to buy a set and I knew I wouldn't use 90% of the colors.

I spent a bit of dough on good brushes.

We'll see how it goes!

Where do you get those attachements, farmerman? Do you know what they're called?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:31 pm
a decent art store should have an airbrush center. Did yu mean the attachments to make a spray can into an airbrush?
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 03:29 pm
Sigh. I think for the project Boomer is doing, simple and cheap is the way to go.

I'm a DIY-er too. Simplifying how to do things makes it easier and less expensive and you can get great results with a little practice.

I've had great flames with spray paint.

Opinions will vary.

I would come and help if I lived near you!

Cutting stencils is easy with an exacto knife and manila folders or any material that's about that thick.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 05:36 pm
Once you do airbrush youll never go back.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:27 pm
Didn't I see earlier where you said what you do, caribou? Maybe my imagination..... but if I saw what I think I saw -- that must be a satisfying job, indeed!

I'm a big admirer of airbrushing I just don't know if I have the skill to qualify for any investment. I did find spray caps that you could put on cans that affect the flow of paint and they were pretty cheap. Maybe I'll try that.

My adventure in painting today has been interesting!

I did the outline. The side against the black looked great but the inside was kind of lumpy. (This dresser has a much painted history.)

So I decided to "tip" the flames in red.

That looked pretty cool so I decided to add a little orange. I didn't want to commit to a specific color so I thought I would just mix the paint on the surface and make it kind of sketchy.

Right now that's drying.

I think I'll kind of cross-hatch another sketchy red/yellow layer over that working down to fade into a yellow layer. (I'm not sure how that will look against the silver though.....)

Then I'll clear coat it with some high gloss.

Who knows? It might look absolutely absurd but it might look cool.

It's been fun anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:33 pm
Post a pic of the final product, please!

(That would be better with just one more "p" word, I know...)

Post a pic of the penultimate product, please!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 04:50 am
suggestion.Work out the details of your ideas on a pice of shopping bag paper (or thick brown wrapping paper) This way you wont be re doing an area that youre satisfied with.

I used to have my workshop all covered with wrapping paper experiments and then Id transfer these ideas to the "frisket" to develop my masks.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:31 am
post pic promoting painted product.

there ya go soz
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:47 am
farmerman wrote:
suggestion.Work out the details of your ideas on a pice of shopping bag paper (or thick brown wrapping paper) This way you wont be re doing an area that youre satisfied with.

I used to have my workshop all covered with wrapping paper experiments and then Id transfer these ideas to the "frisket" to develop my masks.

THAT would have made total sense!

I'm pretty fearless when it comes to color though. If I had actually thought to prepare a real idea I most likely would have spent days and days and days trying to get it just right. Sometimes it's best for me to just dive in.

Damn the torpedos!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:14 am
only just discovered this - a rigger brush is perfect for fine lines - it has long thin bristles that are really flexible and fluid and importantly can hold quite a bit of paint.

called riggers because artists used them to paint the rigging of sailing ships in marine paintings.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 10:51 am
Hi Vivien! Nice to see you again.

I'm actually already finished with the major painting.

Well... I mucked things up a bit by using their pearlized coating that was suppposed to look one way but instead came out all streaky and awful so I'm in rescue phase right now -- and that's going pretty good and much quicker than I had anticipated rescuing to take.

I will keep the rigger brush in mind should I ever forget the lessons I've learned on this project and decide I will try to paint fine lines!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:27 pm
I thought I would show you my progress.

Considering my major MAJOR goof up and resulting rescue, I think the flames turned out okay. I should have the whole shebang finished tomorrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/flames-1.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 06:25 am
Diabolical!
0 Replies