17 year cicada invasion

JPB

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:28 am
The emergence began yesterday in Lake County, IL. There are hundreds more today. I expect thousands more soon. Last night's new reports told of people shoveling their driveways with snow shovels to remove the shells and dead males with counts in the billions (with a b)! The forester also indicated that the noise level will become so loud that two people standing four feet apart will not be able to hear each other speak without shouting as loud as they can.

I don't hear any singing yet, but these are ugly, ugly looking creatures.

National Geographic story

This picture is approx life size

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/images/070521-cicada-facts_big.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,502 • Replies: 44
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:56 pm
Oh wow!

They must eat stuff -- do they denude crops and such?

I actually kind of like cicadas, but not in those numbers... eek!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:03 pm
Seems, from your link, that it's not so bad:

Quote:
Cicadas generally leave no lasting damage, except perhaps to young trees and shrubs. After they have bred and died, they leave the area littered with twigs and leaves that were damaged when the females laid their eggs. The remains of cicada bodies may lie so densely on the ground that there is a smell of decay, but the bodies provide good nutrients for the soil.

Not so great either though...!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:39 am
A few years ago the east coast cicadas were supposed to reach a seventeen year peak.

Thanks to freeze&thaw winters and urban creep and suburban sprawl the infestation was not spectacular.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:59 am
They say it's a natural pruning process for mature trees. They kill pencil sized branches, but do less damage to larger ones. We planted a young oak tree last fall. I've wrapped it in netting. We'll prune out dead wood from the larger stuff in the fall. Bushes are also at risk but I'm not going to wrap all my bushes. We'd planned on planting new lilacs this spring, but will hold off 'til next year.

The numbers are still low from what was projected. The north side of one of my larger (older) oak trees is covered this morning and I saw my first female. Still no singing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:10 am
I love Cicadas! I love their freakish larval shells, I love their amazing wings and big faced heads........ I even love their song. But, even I could be annoyed with billions of them singing at once!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:56 am
The mating calls of the annual cicadas are a true indicator of summer. I had a thread about it last year. I can only imagine the noise level that we're in for. The article said that heavily infested areas could have 100,000 bugs per acre. We're on one acre lots with about 200 houses in the vicinity --- thatsalottabugs!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:09 am
Last night on the news I heard the dead bodies smell something horrible.

On the positive side - catch some and ship them overseas to earn extra money - they are supposed to be very good to eat - healthy to eat and are a delicacy in some countries.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:27 am
Yeah, I'm sure some of the local restaurants will get creative with their menus. I seem to recall they did the same thing last time.

On the odor -- I don't remember it being bad, but I'm in a much more heavily wooded area now than I was then.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:38 am
One of my co-workers passed out cicada recipes.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:16 pm
Let me know how they work out for you, JW -- samples not necessary.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:31 am
This is a very cool video of the cicada cycle

video
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:20 am
So far 934 cicadas have been spotted ...

http://i16.tinypic.com/4r2zh9d.jpg

Seems, they were waiting for me ... to get photographed: only one around where I'll stay :wink:

http://i11.tinypic.com/61nrqdu.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 04:01 pm
HAH! I've got at least that many in my front yard.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 11:54 pm
JPB wrote:
HAH! I've got at least that many in my front yard.

Zooming with my special google earth edition in JPB's front yard ...

http://i13.tinypic.com/6cdlgs1.jpg

:wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:52 am
That looks more like the back patio, Walter. Doesn't matter, there are at least 934 more in the back yard.

Nasty looking buggers, aren't they?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:02 am
JPB wrote:
That looks more like the back patio, Walter. Doesn't matter, there are at least 934 more in the back yard.

Nasty looking buggers, aren't they?

Well, ... yes. (I don't think that I support getting them from our national "red list of animals" :wink: )
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:25 am
The 'music' has begun. It started yesterday -- it's not too loud yet, you can still hear the birds over the constant drone in the background.

This morning I looked at the front yard and noticed that the grass seemed to be blowing, as if there was a breeze from the east. Walking closer, I noticed it was the cicadas marching along the grass toward a large oak tree that was causing the grass to bend westward.

The east side of the tree trunks are covered in shells and the collection on the ground at the base of the tree is now a couple inches deep.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:26 am
JPB - take photos!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:34 am
yeah, I should figure out a way to do that. Unfortunately, I'm equally inept on either side of the camera.
0 Replies