17 year cicada invasion

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:40 am
Sozlet loves cicadas and cicada shells -- E.G. will be making a daytrip to Chicago this week and I told him about this and sozlet begged him to bring her back a bunch of shells. Then she added that she wanted live cicadas too. We told her that we weren't sure they'd let him take them on the airplane...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 12:58 pm
I could pack some shells in Penny's box.

The local CBS channel is sponsoring a website for folks to post their stories and pics. Some of the latest pictures look similar to what I'm seeing.

http://www.chicagocicadas.com/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 01:55 pm
Maybe just tape a few wings in the book, along with a description of what's happening?

That'd be cool.

(By the way that box was larger than necessary, just happened to be the smallest one I had -- I expect she'll make her next postal trip in a smaller box or in a shipping envelope.) (Cheaper.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:23 pm
sozobe wrote:

(By the way that box was larger than necessary, just happened to be the smallest one I had -- I expect she'll make her next postal trip in a smaller box or in a shipping envelope.) (Cheaper.)

Business class flight from Chicago to New York at first, than Acela Express and Regional Service in business class as well, next flights unfortunately only in economy. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:48 am
http://i11.tinypic.com/6gaq7w4.jpg

17 years in making, a spectacle unfolds
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:06 am
From Walter's link
Quote:
For the most part, that chorus has not yet kicked in. Cicadas begin the mating call -- made using structures in their abdomens called tymbals -- about five days after emerging from the ground.

We were in Lagrange yesterday, a suburb about 30 miles south of us. The numbers were about the same, but the noise level was much higher. The southern suburbs average 5-8 degrees warmer than we do here and the emergence began a few days earlier. It gave me an idea of what to expect in a few days.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:46 am
JPB wrote:
It gave me an idea of what to expect in a few days.

I'm not sure if I should now outburst "Can't wait until Thursday to watch and hear it"?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:59 am
They're still emerging in large numbers, Walter. They'll be a symphony for you later this wee Thursday.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:05 am
I'm relieved - CSCSO: Chicago Suburbian Cicada Symphony Orchestra

(Did I tell you already that I planned this trip ... about 17 years ago? :wink: )
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:38 pm
Quote:
From today's Tribune: On Monday, John Cooley estimated up to 100,000 surrounded a single tree at Bemis Woods Forest Preserve in Western Springs. Over the last two decades, Cooley has witnessed every periodical cicada emergence in the country -- three broods that appear every 13 years and a dozen that show up every 17. But the abundance he saw Monday was, he said, "as impressive as I've ever seen."

"This is pretty insanely dense," said Cooley, a University of Connecticut entomologist who is helping to map the Illinois emergence for National Geographic. "This is as dense as you'll ever see it. The local mass emergences have begun. There's no doubt."

By Monday, cicadas coated trees at The Morton Arboretum in Lisle and yards in Palos Heights, Oak Brook and Chicago's Beverly neighborhood, where sea gulls gorged themselves on an easy feast. They also had begun to emerge in suburbs north of the city, such as Deerfield and Winnetka, where the ground has been slower to warm up to about 64 degrees -- the trigger, scientists believe, that pushes cicadas above earth to begin a loud and lusty month.

You can read the whole article HERE. You may have to register, though.

All I can say is EEEEWWWWW!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:56 pm
I read a story somewhere and it seems that one of the biggest beneficiaries of this invasion is the Chicago Zoo, and more specifically, the animals within.

All of a sudden it is raining food and the animals are gobbling down this manna from heaven with gusto and appreciation.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:37 am
I think there's a lawn mower running nearby. I can't be sure because the cicadas are now making more noise than anything man-made. I returned to the house a few minutes ago and heard something that sounded like a compressor running next door. I think the neighbors might be doing something with their pool. I can't really tell though because it's all just part of the background noise with the primary noise coming from the bugs.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:39 am
How do you sleep at night?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:52 am
So far, this is the subgroup of the brood that sings during the daytime. Apparently there are three subgroups. Each one preferring to mate at a different time of day. We haven't been getting the noise at night, but it's starts at first light -- 4:30ish this morning.

I'm actually hearing two different songs now. The constant chatter of the morning sex-maniacs and the more common whee-on of the afternoon group. I'm not sure how much longer we'll be able to sleep with the windows open but so far, so good.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:59 am
JPB wrote:
So far, this is the subgroup of the brood that sings during the daytime. Apparently there are three subgroups. Each one preferring to mate at a different time of day. We haven't been getting the noise at night, but it's starts at first light -- 4:30ish this morning.

I'm actually hearing two different songs now. The constant chatter of the morning sex-maniacs and the more common whee-on of the afternoon group. I'm not sure how much longer we'll be able to sleep with the windows open but so far, so good.

Very interesting.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 03:20 pm
We had our last 17 year invasion about 3 summers ago, here in the Baltimore area!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:05 pm
My daughter allowed a cicada to crawl on her arm today!

http://photo.ringo.com/216/216141962RL207966230.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:37 am
Great pic, JW -- she's a cutie! How are the numbers in your area? My daughter was riding her bike home yesterday and one landed on her shoulder. He started to sing to her Laughing

We're now at the point where it's hard to walk down the driveway without stepping on them. I've taken to keeping my garage doors closed during the day because it's impossible to get into the car without squishing a few. The in-flight mating has begun and we see more and more of them swarming. The noise this morning was incredible.

I noticed an area in my garden near a large oak tree where the ground looks like a colander from where the thousands of bugs have pushed their way out. This is truly a memorable experience.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:19 am
We probably have fewer cicadas than what you have in your area, JPB. My wife took us on a "science field trip" to an area just outside of Oak Park. My daughter, Annie, is now an "insect scientist".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:35 am
Mr B has spread some cedar bark mulch around the base of some of the larger trees in the front yard. This morning I noticed a large ash tree in the far rear of the back yard that appeared to be surrounded by mulch. This tree is close to where the lawn ends and the woods begin and I was surprised that he had put mulch around that particular tree. I walked over and as I got closer I realised that it wasn't mulch but cicada shells heaped inches deep around the base of the tree.

They tell us it will start raining dead bugs in the next week or so.

I can wait.
0 Replies