Johnny Carson vs. Jay Leno

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:34 am
For years, I watched Johnny Carson. He had a great show, amusing and interesting. When Jay Leno took over, little by little, I stopped watching the show.

Recently, I had watched a few of Leno's shows, only to walk out in disgust. Apparently, over the years, IMO, Leno has been playing to a lower and lower common denominator of audience.

Carson could be racy, but he was clever. Leno, on the other hand, appears to be raunchy, for the sake of raunchiness. I don't even find him funny anymore.

I was thinking back to when Leno first subbed for Johnny Carson, and first took over as the host of the Tonight Show I don't remember him being so crass and obvious.

What do you think? Do you enjoy Jay Leno? For those who have watched him for a long time, do you perceive a difference in his shows over the years? Do you think that it is for better or for worse?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,139 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:40 am
I haven't watched Leno more than 3 times since he took over. He sucks.

when he did stand up he was edgy and clever. He dropped to his knees and sold out totally to get the tonight show.

he's rich though, I'd probably sell out to too be a multimillionaire.

Then I'd do the decent thing and quit with my money though.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:50 am
I've never gotten through more than 5 minutes of Leno.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:53 am
Never liked Leno. Conan is a comedic genius, and I used to like Letterman too. Leno blows, except for his car collection.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:58 am
Slappy- I never can stay up late enough to watch Conan. I understand that he will be taking over from Leno, when he leaves the show. Maybe then I will have a chance to see him.

If one looks at the history of the Tonight Show, you see that it was run by people who are remembered as classics; Jack Paar, Steve Allen and of course, Johnny Carson. Leno is the first host who has really denigrated the show. I hope that Conan will bring it back to its former glory. Time will tell!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:01 am
Never really saw Carson. Love Conan. Loved Letterman for a while -- not anymore. Never liked Leno. (Not just his material but his horrible "rapport" with the bandleader guy, who obviously hates him.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:17 am
Haven't watched Leno enough to have an opionion, but....

no one could deny Carson had class.

A hundred years from now when people read about Carson, that's the opinion they'll come up with....who know what they'll think about Leno. I mean, Johnny could take a monkey pissing on his head and still be suave about it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 08:18 am
Chai wrote:
Haven't watched Leno enough to have an opionion, but....

no one could deny Carson had class.

A hundred years from now when people read about Carson, that's the opinion they'll come up with....who know what they'll think about Leno. I mean, Johnny could take a monkey pissing on his head and still be suave about it.

I think that was episode 492....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:08 am
I liked Carson, probably only watched Leno once. I liked Paar. I liked Mort Sahl. I liked Cavett. I liked Steve Allen. Somewhere along the line, post Carson and probably coinciding with working full time and going to school too, I stopped watching so much tv, and don't even have one now. Wouldn't mind seeing Colbert though..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:31 am
I watched Carson most of the time. When he left, I switched to Letterman, whom I watched for a few years. Gave up on him. I can't stand Leno. I watched maybe once, but I don't think I got all the way through.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:33 am
I think Leno has a huge fan base of tasteless idiots...probably the same ones that keep making those winners on American Idol.... Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:46 am
I remember one night I was clicking through the channels and I came across this image...

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/world/0609/gallery.steve.irwin/03.irwin.leno.gi.jpg

Irwin said, "Crikey!" and the audience began to laugh, but I was seven channels away when the laughter subsided.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 11:32 am
Awww! What beautiful tiger cubs!

Yes, Leno sucks. David Letterman was better, he had more of an edge to him. But for the past few years, I dunno, he just doesn't seem to care as much anymore. He's sort of "phoning it in."

I like Conan too, but I don't stay up that late anymore. I didn't realize he would be taking over the Tonight Show! When will that happen?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:06 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I haven't watched Leno more than 3 times since he took over. He sucks.

when he did stand up he was edgy and clever. He dropped to his knees and sold out totally to get the tonight show.

he's rich though, I'd probably sell out to too be a multimillionaire.

Then I'd do the decent thing and quit with my money though.

He has a good collection of antique cars.
Have u seen his Duesenbergs ?
David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:20 pm
I loved Carson and Steve Allen, am indifferent to Leno, and disliked Parr, who could become a slobbering jerk at a moment's notice.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:22 pm
Re: Johnny Carson vs. Jay Leno
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
For years, I watched Johnny Carson.
He had a great show, amusing and interesting.

Me too.

I liked his personality.
He was a good fellow; ex-Naval officer.

However,
he developed a rigid paradigm for the beginning of his show.
Every nite, during opening applause, by facial expressions
and manual gestures he accused Ed of being a drunk and Doc of being a queer (style of dress);
he thanked the audience for their applause
and declared them to be a good group
( knowing that he 'd denounce them on the following nite ).

Then, after telling 1 or 2 good, funny jokes,
he told one that had little humor in it,
and react to the audience ' s failure to respond; nite after nite after nite.

I thought that the Carnac bit was his most humorous.

Quote:
When Jay Leno took over, little by little, I stopped watching the show.

Recently, I had watched a few of Leno's shows, only to walk out in disgust
Me too.

Quote:
Carson could be racy, but he was clever.
Leno, on the other hand, appears to be raunchy,
for the sake of raunchiness. I don't even find him funny anymore.

Me too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:02 am
@Stray Cat,
I had not watched Letterman for a number of years. I was up a little later a few nights ago, and took a look. I was appalled. Where he had been clever, sophisticated, and edgy, he had become as tiresome as Leno.

I think that all this has to do with the "dumbing down" of TV. Apparently, what sells mouthwash and laundry detergent, is playing to the lowest common denominator.

So, tomorrow night, when I sit down to watch TV, it will be old reruns of "Law & Order"........................again!
0 Replies