Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:46 pm
Today, I had my first taste of a Vidalia onion. My friend, #$&^&^%#$, recieved a box of about fifteen by mail the other day. They cost him $34. He gave two to me.

Well, today, I chopped up one, to put in a tuna sandwich mix. Before putting the bits in, I ate several morsels. Eh. Tasted a bit flat to me. Characterless, compared to the 1015. It was just one taste of one onion. Perhaps as we devour the rest of this one, and then the second, I may have second thoughts.

What about you? Which onions do you prefer, when eating them raw?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,118 • Replies: 20
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:49 pm
I would participate in your thread, edgar, but you said you were no longer my friend, so I guess I will just go elsewhere and find someone who likes me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:53 pm
Oh, 1015 definately, no comparison.

sweet? oh man.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:54 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I would participate in your thread, edgar, but you said you were no longer my friend, so I guess I will just go elsewhere and find someone who likes me.
probably be a long trip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:14 pm
I never heard of a 1015.....

I like spanish onions (brown), red ones, cipollini, and, the one time I tried them, maui onions. Not sure I ever tasted a vidalia onion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:19 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I never heard of a 1015.....

they're the bees knees osso...I just googled them and learned something. They are so named because they are supposed to be planted on October 15 in south texas. Gives it the proper daylight, rain and what not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:29 pm
So I found this site....

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/onion5/aboutonion.html

too bad I threw all my nylons out!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:31 pm
ossobuco wrote:
So I found this site....

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/onion5/aboutonion.html

too bad I threw all my nylons out!

Purty neat. (I threw all my nylons out, too).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:31 pm
On Maui onions -

http://www.maui-info.com/onions.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:51 am
I enjoy a good spanish onion too.

Vidalia never did it for me either.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:13 am
I have to say I have limited knowledge of onions, I always thought the red onion was the one I liked the most but after trying it in a tomato sauce it didnt add any punch so Im going to try normal (white) onions and see how that goes.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:19 am
I think read onions are more for eating raw material girl, like on a sandwich or in a salad.

If I'm cooking with onions in a sauce, I'll saute them first to release their flavor and make sure they cook all the way in the liquid.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:38 am
I'm not familiar with 1015s, but will look for them. I too prefer Maui over Vadalias.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:43 am
Up until recently, I only used the plain old yellow onion. Since living in Florida, I have had access to Vidalia, as they come from Grorgia. Never even heard of the 1015 though. Have to take a look-see!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 05:00 am
I like an oniony taste, and in cooking , the regular yellow onions seem to get anice caramalized texture and taste. I was never a fan of the "super sweet" onions like Vidalias, Wala Wala, Pennsy sweets ,(never heard of the 1015) but it probably a similar varietal.
Gimme a "long keeper" and Im a happy dude.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 05:02 am
I put the yellow onions in soups or stews, just prefer the 1015 on my sandwiches and salads.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:15 pm
I first had vidallias in georgia when I lived there. I never saw why they were so special. I like onions, but I am not picky about what variety (usually by the organic ones)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 11:41 am
Obvious fact: Not all Vidalia onions are created equal.

Nevertheless every spring I have a Vidalia Onion Festival with a Vidalia onion and a liverwurst sandwich on seeded rye bread.

Ritual is important.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:33 pm
mustard or mayo? (This is important and will affect my forever opinion of you Noddy)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:40 pm
Tonight we had grilled Vidalias with our lamb-mozza burgers.

Damn fine meal. I didn't even bother preparing the asparagus I'd picked up at the farmer's market. Grilled onions with lamb burgers. Fine.
0 Replies