The Outer Banks

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 05:34 pm
My wife and I will be spending a week on the Outer Banks soon (Emerald Isle.) Any suggestions for points of interest, daytrips, restaurants? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,813 • Replies: 22
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 05:41 pm
Been to Ireland, but on a organized tour. When you say "Outer Banks" where exactly do you mean? Maybe I can help - a little. c.i.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 05:45 pm
I'm sorry, Cicerone. The Outer Banks of North Carolina on Emerald Isle. I can see why that might be confusing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 05:49 pm
Oh shucks. I like to get involved on all the Travel forums. But, hey, I can help with North Carolina - to a small degree, but only on the west side of the state. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 05:51 pm
Hi there, WhoodaThunk!
I'm going to send a note to hamburger (my dad) to ask him if he's got some info for you. He and mrs. hamburger have been to the North Carolina Outer Banks a few times.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 07:30 pm
hi, whooda thunk ! yes we have visited the outer banks a couple of times on our way to myrtle beach - once in the early spring and once in the late fall. it's a paradise for beach lovers. if you have the time take the ferry on your way to the outer banks or when you are coming back; you won't regret it ! we took the ferry from SWAN QUARTER; it's about a 2 1/2 hour ferry ride; dolphins swam alongside the ferry, just wonderfull. in the summer you should make reservations well in advance! the ferry ride in the evening around sunset time was particularly beautiful. ENJOY YOUR TRIP ! hbg.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:02 am
Whoodathunk!!!
YAY!!! You'll love it if you like clean beaches, clear water, history and a laid back atmosphere!

Our family has gone the last two years--last year, we stayed two weeks.

We took the ferry from the south, near Beaufort (blocking on name of the town), but the ride was thrilling for me. We saw dolphins, too.

Funny-- I didn't hear of Emerald Isle--so I don't know exactly where you'll be.

There is an outdoor play The Lost Colony on Roanoke Island. Roanoke has a couple of popular attractions--The NC Aquarium, Elizabethan Gardens, a maritime museum, shops... This is at the main entrance to the Banks from Manteo. (pronounce manny-o)

We stayed south in Waves.

My favorite thing was a daytrip by ferry to Ocracoke Island (from Hattaras). I think a ferry rounds hourly, but call ahead to check. The shopping there is great, the restaurants; quaint. Park and do it on foot. Driving in 'downtown Ocracoke' is ridiculous, and frowned upon. The harbor there has some waterfront restaurants. Locals have art shops. One guy only sold clothing and shoes made from hemp-- We did the Ocracoke harbor area all on foot. There is an old cemetary of locals--a must see. And a burial site for British sub victims, as well. The history of the 'diamond shoals' and the hundreds of shipwrecks in those waters is legendary.

But the Banks has plenty besides Ocracoke. We loved dock fishing. I can't remember which one; I think it was in Kitty Hawk. GREAT FISHING! There must be 5 lighthouses--ancient! There is a wildlife area Pea Something. GREAT for wildlife photos.

Hattaras, the southern tip, has great shops and some toney restaurants. Its neat to watch the huge boats come and go, while drinking coffee in the lovely restaurant next to the harbor.

Duck was my favorite town on the Banks. The best shops, the best atmosphere, the best crab cakes!

I can't remember the names of all the restaurants--but you'll get listings in your rental. We liked Dirty Dick's Crab Shack, among many others.

The beach is so cool, many people bypass the Sound. Great for crabbing, fishing, boating...

HAVE A BLAST!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:50 am
www.outerbeaches.com
A realty company, with local info.
www.roanokeisland.com
Things to do on Roanoke.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:00 am
http://www.outerbanks.com/
Mo' better info!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:36 am
Make sure you go to Nag's Head, and the blowing rock. Great for swimming and kite flying, and blowing rock is a neat novelty (if you throw something sightweight off this mini-cliff, the aerodynamics make it blow right back to you!).
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
Cicerone: Thanks for your interest anyway.

ehBeth & Hamburger: The ferries and dolphins sound great. Many thanks.

Sofia: I'm taking notes ... the Ocracoke daytrip sounds like something we'll enjoy. Much appreciated.

Snood: Nag's Head was on the itinerary, but I'll be sure to check out the blowing rock. Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:03 am
Whooda - Ocracoke must be a fabulous place. hamburger and mrs. hamburger got stranded there in an ice storm a few years ago - and they still had a great time!

I've been to the lower end of the outer banks a few times - a trip further up is on my to do list - with kite-flying there on the agenda as well. Some of the most gorgeous kites I've seen were a bit further south - Assateague Island. There's something about those barrier islands that makes them perfect for kite flying - and watching the sun rise.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:17 pm
hi there, whooda thunk : i should have looked at the map of n.c. before offering advice. i have the map in front of me now ! the ferry from swan quarter would not be a good choice since you'd wind up on ocracoke and would have to take another ferry back to mainland(cedar island). i see emerald isle is on bogue sound. you could come down from I-95 along 64 to whalebone and take number 12 south; a free ferry gets you to ocracoke island and a toll ferry takes you from there to cedar island, from there it's about an hour to emerald isle. you could go directly to emerald isle and take a day-trip(return) from cedar island to ocracoke(you can leave the car on the dock and should not need reservations as a walk-on passenger). wilmington is a beautiful and historic city; from there going down to KURE BEACH you'll find OLD FORT FISHER and the north carolina aquarium(i believe it is operated by the university of n.c. - not a disney kind fishtank). have fun. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:28 pm
i suggest you pay a visit to the aqarium http://www.aquariums.state.nc.us/ i think you'll be impressed. hbg.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:44 pm
Oh my - I didn't realize that the aquarium was so close to WhoodaThunk's destination. Whooda - I am not a zoo/aquarium fan - but that place is amazing!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 07:09 am
Hopefully the ferry schedules will be more understandable once we get there, but I appreciate the heads up. The aquarium looks like a keeper, too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
the ferry schedules are here : great how-to-get-there site
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:10 pm
Hey, Whooda. Hatteras Island if fabulous as is the light house. We camped at a primitive campground (at the time it was) in a place called Rodanthe. Manteo is a neat area, also. Hope I haven't duplicated anyone's suggestions.

Good to see you here, Whooda
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:15 pm
Oh, weird! My dad and his wife *just* got back from there. The sozlet is proudly sporting a vividly tie-died shirt saying "Peace, Love and Dolphins -- Oracoke Island." They LOVED it.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:10 am
LETTY: We actually had camping reservations at a place near Rodanthe last year, but changed our plans and canceled. We've opted for running water and air conditioning this time (at Karol's request Shocked ) and saved our more primitive pursuits for destinations closer to home.

I'm looking forward to the lighthouses, especially Hatteras. Again, Karol humors me on this interest although she was nearly burned out by them a few years back on a trip to Michigan. The Shipwreck Museum and lighthouse at Whitefish Point was a highlight (the Edmund Fitzgerald and all) ... but still, that was a lot of coast and a lot of lights for the unwashed.

Thanks for the welcome!

SOZOBE: We have a friend's boy watching things at home while we're gone. That tie-dyed tee sounds like a good choice as part of his payment. Cool
0 Replies