Good Times with the Good Fellas

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:32 pm
The other night, I was chatting with someone over dinner about the movie "Good Fellas." I don't recall how we got on the subject, but I never realized just how many funny moments were in that film.

Remember when Ray Liotta came home after spending the evening with his mob buddies "taking care of business," to find his mother-in-law shouting to him from the doorway, "WE'VE BEEN WAITING UP ALLLL NIGHT LONG FOR YOOOOUUU!!!"

The thing is, he turned around, got back in his car, and left. This is a guy who belongs to the mob, and just helped them kill and bury a guy - but he just couldn't stand the thought of facing his irate mother-in-law.

My date said, "Yeah, and remember how the mother-in-law said to his wife, "Your father never would have done something like this!!," to which the wife answered, "Yeah, he never went anywhere!"

Or how about when the Liotta character married his wife - and the mother-in-law was looking around at all the men in dark suits at the reception and she says, "I don't believe these people are Jewish!!"

Oh! And I loved the scene where Liotta's wife goes over to the building where his mistress lives, and screams into the intercoms of all the apartments, "Stay away from my husband, you whore!"

I've always pictured some eighty year old couple in their little apartment, and the guy turns to his wife and says, "Sylvia? Have you been cheating on me? ...... With that nice lady's husband?"

Of course, there's the famous scene where they're in prison, and eating and drinking like kings.

What a film! It had everybody in too! Liotta, De Niro, Pesci, the only one that was missing was Pacino.

What are your favorite moments from Good Fellas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:42 pm
Joe Pesci looking at a painting...

"Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?' "
http://joefernandes.net/goodfellas_painting.jpg
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:47 pm
Oh yeah! Isn't that when they were having dinner at his Mom's house? And they had that guy.....out in the car.....in the trunk? Sheesh!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:51 pm
One of my favorite moments was when Liotta goes across the street and pistol-whips that neighbor-guy. Not funny at all, but it was a brilliantly shocking scene.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:22 pm
I thought it was funny. (just kiddin!)

How about the scene when Liotta's wife pulls a gun on him? (Because she's upset about the mistress.)

So, he sweet talks her for a few minutes and she....hands....the gun... to him.......

STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! Razz
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 04:54 am
I always remember the bit when they're in the bar and Pesci tries to scare Liotta...

Quote:
You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f****d up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f****n' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
Razz

Also I have this memory of Liotta and De Niro in some diner late on in the film, when they're all in trouble and I can't remember what is said but I think they're both considering betraying each other while they talk away, De Niro has this really powerful, compelling look on him anyway.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 04:34 pm
Quote:
You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f****d up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f****n' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Yes, Ashers! That scene was chilling, you could see Liotta beginning to sweat. You could cut the tension with a knife. What a great acting job by both of them!

Quote:
De Niro has this really powerful, compelling look on him anyway.

De Niro has this great intimidating glare that he does like no one else. He used that same glare to great comedic effect in Meet The Parents. (Imagine having him as a potential father-in-law..... Shocked )

There was also a scene right towards the end when Liotta's wife goes to see De Niro, hoping to hit him up for a loan.

She doesn't get any money from him, but he offers to let her pick out a few dresses for free from his warehouse.

"Right down there," he says, pointing.

She begins walking down the street, and looks back at him with uncertainty.

"That's it," he says, "just keep going. It's right down there."

She walks a little further, then notices the silhouette of several men inside the "warehouse."

So, she turns back to De Niro, shouts, "Uh...I just remembered .... I have an appointment...." jumps into her car, and goes speeding away, tires screeching, from the curb.

Heeeee!
0 Replies