Toyota makes crunching sound at high speeds and bump

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:14 pm
Hello,
When I go around 65-70 mph in my Toyota Corolla, and pass a dip in the road, my passenger side tire/shocks make a crunching sound. I just had new tires put in, and they have made no difference (problem existed before). Any ideas what might be happening? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,459 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:19 pm
Is the crucnhing coming from the front or rear wheel?

What year Corolla is this btw??
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:49 pm
Sounds like your shocks.
0 Replies

silkandpebbles

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:52 pm
Toyota year: 2000. It is the front passenger side wheel.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:56 pm
If you go over this dip all the time, or speed bumps at too high a speed, your shocks are going to go to hell, and have to be replaced.

70 mph is pretty fast to be driving over a dip in the road.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:03 pm
I suspect that what is going on is that your front strut (you don't have shocks in your car's front end - you have struts) is rusted in the area outside of the "normal" travel zone. When you hit a big bump the strut compresses beyond the normal travel zone and what you are hearing is the strut grinding. It could also be that some other front end part is doing the same sort of thing but the strut is, IMO, the most likely cause.

The obvious answer is to replace the strut. Well, ok, the REALLY obvious answer is to slow down - but I suspect that isn't teh answer you want to hear.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:24 pm
yeah, struts....that what I meant...

you knew what I meant, right fishin?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:28 pm
Sure, sure! Gotcha covered! Wink
0 Replies

silkandpebbles

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:47 pm
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely have the struts or front shocks Smile looked at. And just for the record, I'm talking about tiny dips on freeways, not drag racing speed dips in front of schools with crossing guards that get me 100 points per hit. I mean seriously, it is a Toyota Corolla, how crazy do you think I am? A Honda owner?
0 Replies

JoeKidd

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:17 pm
Ball joint. They are bad for going out on Toyota's.
0 Replies