Abortion discussion

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:25 am
If someone cant afford to take care of their child, why would you want to force them to have it? This can only be a negative for society.

Ill explain: Mom wants sex, she has intercourse with a guy who she likes, she gets prego, shes poor, having a kid and subjecting him to a life of poverty is (to me, at least) utterly worse than ending something that never started.

Would anyone care to give me some reasons as to what good could come from a mother not being able to have an abortion?

I for one can attest that the life lived being an unwanted child is traumatic to say the least. I was reading some studies on children that were wanted versus children who werent wanted by their parents, and i can safely say i support abortion but would still like some counter-points
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,642 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:28 am
these children could be taken by the government and raised as super killing machines for the military. The mothers of course could be screened genetically and those who were likely to produce superior physical offspring (once cleaned up of their crack addictions) could be put into breeding farms. The others could be sterilized and placed in bordellos to service our young soldiers.

Waste not, want not.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:38 am
BRILLIANT!

i vote yes!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:40 am
Re: Abortion discussion
OGIONIK wrote:
I for one can attest that the life lived being an unwanted child is traumatic to say the least. I was reading some studies on children that were wanted versus children who werent wanted by their parents.....

The ones who were unwanted, what did the studies show?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:48 am
higher rates of depression, suicide attempts and myriad other mental disorders. lack of or impaired social skills, higher rates of drug addiction, tendencies towards crime, and incidents involving violence. Lets not forget lower income.

i wish i could find the exact study, it was slightly disturbing.

I could say those could be in relation to poverty but the study was done on all incomes, in my opinion poverty would only exacerbate any problems involving being unwanted by ones own parents, furthering my personal view on the subject.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:59 am
Abortion is a highly personal decision that should be regulated (for safety) but not determined by government.

It should be legal. Why? Because women will do it no matter what. Legal, illegal, safe, unsafe, in a facility or in an ally. Abortion has been performed since babies were being created and making it illegal does nothing to stop it.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:10 am
good points. i was looking more for reasons abortion shouldnt be allowed, im trying to get everyones perspective, even if its an opinion.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:24 am
Abortions shouldnt be allowed because its ending a life but then again the 'powers that be' shouldnt develop ways of doing this sort of thing if they are then not going to give people access to it.

By the way I am not against abortions but I am VERY pro contraception.

Imagine how many abortions there would be if men could get pregnant!
(dont knock me guys, Im sure to some degree you must see my point)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:30 am
OGIONIK wrote:
good points. i was looking more for reasons abortion shouldnt be allowed, im trying to get everyones perspective, even if its an opinion.

I am pro-abortion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:32 am
Adoption?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:33 am
Wait until the religious fanatics come, they'll give you millions of reasons
why a woman should not abort.

All hoagwash!

I am pro choice! The women herself, and only her can and must decide.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:48 am
This may sound Biblical and Im not religious but I see woman as carersand nurturers, and men as hunter gatherers/violent.

Do you think there is such uproar, as women are seen as the life givers and men the murderers.ie how can a woman kill anything.....?

In some cultures some woman are murdered because they get pregnant.
That seems to be more about shame of others.
What about young women who dont want anyne to know about their pregnancy, adoption is not an option.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 10:18 am
The strongest anti-abortion argument is that abortion is murder.

You would probably not consider killing someone just because they were poor and unloved. Would you?

Anti-abortionist don't make a distinction between fetus and child -- it's life; a living human being. To kill it is murder.

I am firmly pro-choice. Firmly. No doubt about it.

I am also an adoptive parent of a boy whose other-parents couldn't care for him. I wasn't looking to adopt a child. It just happened that way. I'm so very glad it did happen because he is my moon.

When I think about how close he came to not being here I'm speechless.

Abortion is a complicated issue. I just know that it is not my place to make decisions for anyone else.

Like material girl - I am VERY pro-contraception.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:23 am
Thanks boom, it seems some people take the stance either you abort an unwanted fetus, or give birth to a baby and let it know it's unwanted.

Give the baby up for adoption.

Which is worse, the stigma of being a person who was smart enough to know they couldn't do justice of raising a person, or the wondering what would have become of the person you chose to scrap out of your body?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:46 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Wait until the religious fanatics come, they'll give you millions of reasons
why a woman should not abort.

All hoagwash!

I am pro choice! The women herself, and only her can and must decide.

This may sound a bit insensitive, but why should the father be forced to pay for the child for 18 years if he himself does not want it? There are a lot of cases where women tell the man they are on the pill etc. even though they are not.

I know that forcing an abortion is inhumane and out of the question, but in many ways the woman seems to have to upper hand here. Financially, that is.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:48 am
I'd rather just give a check up front depending on the quality of the coochee....
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:52 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'd rather just give a check up front depending on the quality of the coochee....

Oh my, you'll hang for that statement. Surprised
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:55 am
I'm already hung....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 01:24 pm
I don't know, Chai.

The only reference point I have on the adoption or abortion decision is a long, eloquent post that appeared on one of the adoption forums I visit on occassion. The poster had placed one child for adoption and later had had an abortion. She was haunted by the adoption but felt no guilt for the abortion. The finality of abortion was much easier on her emotionally.

I'm not at all a fan of the "adoption, not abortion" school of thought for several reasons despite the fact that it worked out for all sides in our adoption -- so far. Adoption is really a life-long process for all of the parties involved. I've seen one adoption "go bad" and it tears people up in unimaginable and permanent ways.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 01:58 pm
How about... wait for it ... adortion.

The fetuses get adopted by caring medical companies that care for them and suck out their stem-cells. Everybody wins.
0 Replies