Unusual recipe: Crostini, English Pea Puree & Greek Yogurt

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:53 pm
This recipe appears to be very refreshing. I suppose regular yogurt could be substituted for the Greek yogurt if not available. I also wouldn't mess around with two different types of salt if I didn't have sea or kosher salt in my pantry. I've tried to clarify the directions as the recipe was poorly written. ---BBB

CROSTINI WITH ENGLISH PEA PUREE AND GREEK YOGURT
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

1/2 cup Greek yogurt*
5 tablespoons high-quality olive oil, divided
Sea salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (from 1-1/2 large lemons)
16 slices of French baguette, cut 1/2-inch on the bias
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
2 cups shelled English (green) peas
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and minced
Thinly chopped fresh mint for garnish

Mix the yogurt with one tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and the lemon peel in a small bowl and set aside. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Brush the bread slices with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with the 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Grill the bread slices over medium-high heat until golden. Use an indoor grill or toast the bread on the stove in a cast-iron pan or large skillet.

Bring four quarts of water to a boil in a pot, adding the white sugar and kosher salt. Blanch the peas for about three minutes, until bright green and softened, and drain them.

While they're still warm, put the peas in a food processor with the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate if not planning to serve immediately.

Spread about one tablespoon of the pea puree on each slice of grilled bread slices. Spoon one to two teaspoons of yogurt on top and sprinkle a little mint for garnish. Makes 16 Crostinis.

*Greek yoghurt is usually made from sheep's milk, although cow's milk is also common. It has strong flavour, it is rich in fat and thick in texture
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,359 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:04 pm
sounds gawd-awful to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:06 pm
I like fresh pea and mint soup. Not too attracted to using that with crostini. Maybe you have to be there. Mmmmmm, the Greek islands..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:25 pm
I just looked up some crostini recipes, having in mind bean puree, and ran across one with fresh pea and chopped fresh fava beans. Maybe it isn't the peas that sort of stop me, but the mint-yogurt thing on toast; basically, what goes with the peas on the toast.

Alternately, I can imagine liking the ingredients in BBB's recipe in a cold potato salad (sans toast).
0 Replies