Nail Gun Help

k80

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:20 am
I am considering purchasing a nail gun for my husband for finishing our basement. I am thinking about getting a Milwaukee 7100-20 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer. First, is this a brand and type of nail gun you would recommend for finishing a basement? Second, what is the difference between "round head" and "inch clipped head"? Which head is more practical? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 729 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Big Dog

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:55 pm
Nail Gun
Milwaukee tools are known for their quality, but they haven't been in the nail gun business for that long. IMO, you would be better served if you went with a Stanley Bostich, Senco, or Hitachi. They have been producing quality guns for quite some time. All 3 of these companies usually rate very high on tool tests. The full round head gun is the better choice. I'm a contractor and use these guns daily. Hope this helps.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:58 pm
I don't know if this will work with things like nail guns, but if you go to Google and type in "reviews of Milwaukee 7100-20 nail gun" in the search box, you'll likely get a bunch of user reviews amongst the various hits, (assuming 7100-20 is the model designation). It works for electronics and cameras and things like that--would probably work for tools too.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:17 pm
I haven't used the Milwaukee guns (most of mine are Bostich) but, while around head nail will hold better in teh long run, the only concern I'd have is that sometimes teh round head guns are harder to use in tight spots.

The round head gun uses nail collated at ~21 degrees. The clipped-head gun uses nails collated somewhere between 31 and 34 degrees. The result is that the cartridge that the nails load into it tucked up a little higher with a clipped head gun which makes it easier to get into some tight spaces.

If your basement is wide open I'd go with the round head gun. If it's lots of little tight places I'd lean towards the clipped head gun (of course having both would take care of that issue completely! Very Happy )
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:23 pm
here's a basic economics question; why would you buy a nail gun to do one job? IS there more than one job ...or is that the only project? If there's only that one job, it seems not cost effective to buy one.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:58 pm
I've got three different sized nailers to work around the house and I can tell you with confidence that you don't need a name brand nailer for the type of small jobs you're talking about. Costco sells perfectly fine nailers for good prices and you can get a set of three (if I recall) for less than the price of one name brand unit.

Remember you're going to need an air compressor too and you're gong to need a smaller nailer for all the finishing trim etc
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:58 am
Ive got a Passlode which uses the lsrger propane tubes and is a "finish" nailer that I use mostly for cabinets , but its also usable for firring , t&G and boards up to about 1".
At auctions , I always see lots of other pneumatic guns sold "as is" and I rarley see any Passlodes. My feeling is that Passlodes are kept clean and running by their owners. Passlode makes a biger framing gun for about 399 which has the same "tight space" problems as all the others , but is a bit lighter so it doesnt wear on you.

Its rare to see a framing job done with hammer and nail that doesnt look "beat" when the carpenter is getting tired and misses a few strokes.

I love my Passlode.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:43 am
Bostich.
0 Replies