Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 06:58 am
I was reading this article in MORE magazine on Iceland -- it looks absolutely beautiful. The women who wrote the article about her travels hike the Laugavergurinn trail full of beautiful scenery -- volcanic crater lake, waterfalls, geysers. There is no good trip without a good adventure. Has anyone been? any recommendations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 754 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:21 am
I was stationed up there for a year while in the military. Lots of great stuff to see and do if you are into geology and that sort of thing. Not much to do elsewise. Weather can be a bear as well. If you go expect it to be windy (you'd be in the middle of the North Atlantic after all!). 35 mph winds are normal daily things. 60 mph winds are frequent.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 03:40 pm
Even during around the Laugavergurinn trail? The traveler sharing her story in MORE went during July -- do you think that is a better time? From looking at her pictures and reading her story, it does not look like there was too much bad weather. I like adventerous trips so I think Iceland might be up my alley.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:15 pm
Taff,

We went fishing on the Big Laxa in Iceland last August. I can't say enough about this fabulous country. Although our emphasis was on trying to catch enormous salmon, such trips are frustrating to me because I always want to tour and explore AND fish. I took one of the seven days off and some of us drove around and explored local sites of interest...such as the largest waterfall in Europe (totally spectacular and you can get very close, after a short walk,) and the truly amazing geo-thermal springs, and the pale aqua lakes, and what must be the friendliest people on earth (co-equal with Kiwi's.) It is one of the youngest countries on the planet, geologically, and I can't wait to go back to explore some of the remote, wonderfully lonely mountains in the northeast and eastern section of the country.

I loved Reykjavik, a small big city, but fell in love with the charming village of Husavik, near where we fished. We were there in August when daylight stretched from 3:30-4 am until 11 at night. (That is why fisherpeople love it, of course...more hours to throw in a line.)

I guess I wouldn't like the deadly dark months, but somehow they get through it.
0 Replies