Why are better educated people less religious?

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:18 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
It has been proven through the ages that man's scholarly achievements has little to do with what they are capable of to harm other humans.
Amen, pastor CI
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:20 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
It has been proven through the ages that man's scholarly achievements has little to do with what they are capable of to harm other humans.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:05 pm
stlstrk, If you don't like my responses, don't read them. I was responding to neo's, "As for the assertion that educational level has a positive correlation with religious disbelief, this could simply be a symptom of the arrogance that so often accompanies lofty achievement."

And you're the guy that skips over reading all or parts of other participant's posts on this thread. Go get a life!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:42 pm
A JW agreeing with an atheist twice in a single day. Look out the window! Is that an asteroid heading for earth?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:33 pm
Just another one of your imaginations, neo. Not to fear.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:31 am
hang on. i though that many astro-physicists and neuro-surgeons and other educated people all tend to believe in God.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:16 am
rockpie wrote:
hang on. i though that many astro-physicists and neuro-surgeons and other educated people all tend to believe in God.

Evidence, please.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:33 am
stlstrike3 wrote:
rockpie wrote:

Evidence, please.
indeed. Did you listen by chance to radio 4 today programme this morning Rockpie? As part of a news item it was matter of fact reported that less well educated people tend to be more religious.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:27 pm
Steve, I doubt very much anyone claiming more or less education as being supported by "statistics or polls."

Here's the dilemma: over 90 percent of Americans are christians. No matter how we cut that between the educated and less educated, that 90% is pretty conclusive that both are "religious."

I wish somebody would show me my conclusion is wrong.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:51 pm
CI,

The statistical point is that "education" and "religiosity" can be inversely correlated but both affected by other social variables. There obviously is some "evidence" for the relationship which particular circumstances in the US seem to confound. The question is never whether a relationship "exists" but why its existence is investigated. (I remember Eysenck getting into trouble for reporting a relationship between "intelligence" and "ethnicity". He was accused of "bending the data" by pc lobby.) In other words "existence" of the relationship must be evoked or refuted by interested parties with axes to grind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:12 am
fresco wrote:
The question is never whether a relationship "exists" but why its existence is investigated. . . . In other words "existence" of the relationship must be evoked or refuted by interested parties with axes to grind.

This is the most cogent and relevant observation in this dull, dull, dull thread. Axe to grind indeed!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:00 am
fresco, Excellent point.
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:26 am
Apply this logic to the roots of the darwin ilk ... the hilarity of irony.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 08:43 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Steve, I doubt very much anyone claiming more or less education as being supported by "statistics or polls."

Here's the dilemma: over 90 percent of Americans are christians. No matter how we cut that between the educated and less educated, that 90% is pretty conclusive that both are "religious."

I wish somebody would show me my conclusion is wrong.

Sorry, I can't show that you conclusion is wrong, but I can probably acknowledge what you already know, and that is that religion doesn't make the person, the person makes the religion. 90% of americans may be religions, but of that I can sleep with some confidence that of that 90% only a small minority is crazy religious.

What I will say for the relation of education and religion is that at least in america critical thought is held in high acclaim in our institutions as ealry as Middle School. I think the more educated you are the more likely it is that you have had the opportunity to think for yourself.

This means at least to me that if the majority of that 90% of america is Christian, AND can think for themselves, they are probably good neighbors. I only worry about those religious types that constantly seek what to believe from others and make it their mantra.

That's all folks
K
O

(That's right Joe Nation, I used to use a special sig on my posts too!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 09:17 pm
I have no argument with your "conclusion/opinion" about the degree of religious belief doesn't tell us anything about their character. However, according to the CIA Factbook, we have the following statistics:

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris/aris_index.htm

The following three tables comes from the NSRI and ARIS data:

Top Religions in the United States, 2001
(self-identification, ARIS)

Christianity 151,225,000.
Nonreligious/Secular 13,116,000
Judaism 3,137,000
Islam 527,000
Buddhism 401,000
Agnostic 1,186,000
Atheist 902,000
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:49 pm
Great link, interesting info too. I'm curious why "Nonreligious/Secular" and "Atheist" are concidered different. I'm interested in someone who identifies as one but not the other to help me understand.

T
Konfused
O
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:15 am
Quote:
COVERAGE OF RELIGIOUS GROUPS

One of the distinguishing features of this survey, as of its predecessor in 1990, is that respondents were asked to describe themselves in terms of religion with an open-ended question. Interviewers did not prompt or offer a suggested list of potential answers. Moreover, the self-description of respondents was not based on whether established religious bodies, institutions, churches, mosques or synagogues considered them to be members. Quite the contrary, the survey sought to determine whether the respondents themselves regarded themselves as adherents of a religious community. Subjective rather than objective standards of religious identification were tapped by the survey.

Respondents who self-identified as atheist were categorized as such. Those who said they were nonreligious were categorized separately. I know some pretty hard-core atheists who practice their atheism as a religion.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:29 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Great link, interesting info too. I'm curious why "Nonreligious/Secular" and "Atheist" are concidered different. I'm interested in someone who identifies as one but not the other to help me understand.

I consider myself nonreligious. I do not consider myself to be athiest, partly because 'God' hasn't been well defined. If you define God in a very specific way, then I might be athiest to that specific definition but we would have to cover each definition separately.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:53 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

I consider myself nonreligious. I do not consider myself to be athiest, partly because 'God' hasn't been well defined. If you define God in a very specific way, then I might be athiest to that specific definition but we would have to cover each definition separately.

This is basically why i consider myself an atheist. If the definitions involve a sentient, discrete being, than i am not going to be convinced without some evidence, at the least a plausible explanation. Simply "pointing to" the cosmos and saying that its very existence is evidence of a creator is a non-starter of an argument to my mind, because it is a rather childish anthropomorphism to suggest that nothing can exist unless a sentient being creates it.

If one simply asserts that the deity is first cause, the prime mover, then i apply what is usually referred to as "Occam's Razor," and object that we don't need the middle man. That runs: god created the universe. Who created god? No one created god, god is eternal. There is, then, no need to imagine a god, the universe itself can be eternal--entia non sunt multiplicanda, causes are not to be multiplied, there is no logical need to imagine a god. Without being presented a description of god different from prime mover, or an anthropocentric and anthropomorphic sentient being, i have no reason to believe there is a god. That is not the same as denying that there is a god--it is simply skepticism. I consider myself an atheist pending the offer of a plausible definition of a deity.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:26 am
Setanta wrote:
Without being presented a description of god different from prime mover, or an anthropocentric and anthropomorphic sentient being, i have no reason to believe there is a god.

I agree with that. However, I can imagine descriptions of god which are not 'prime mover' or anthropocentric or anthropomorphic. And because of that, I can't take an athiest position in a general sense.
0 Replies