Why are better educated people less religious?

uzawaung

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:30 am
I heard about "Tortise and Rabbit"... For long run .. Tortise win the race.. Finally slow tortise win the rece. Some exceptional case - educated people can run as fast as rabbit until they die... let it be.
Generally, my life is "Brain + Heart" each 50% ...
Education is like Brain & Religion is like Heart - for religious person
Education is like Brain & Social Ethic is like Heart - for non-religious person

Answer:
Why better educated person has less religion? ... He is proud on Brain.

Note:
Remember, successful person 90% has more Heart work than Brain..
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:01 am
@stlstrike3,
stlstrike3 wrote:
Why are better educated people less religious?

Because as they get better educated, they begin to see the inconsistencies and irrationalities of religious dogma.
neologist

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:43 am
@rosborne979,
Perhaps they simply come to adore their advanced degree.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:10 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Perhaps they simply come to adore their advanced degree.

Perhaps. But probably not.
0 Replies

cross505

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:13 pm
@stlstrike3,
it could be because people that are "religious" put God first no matter what so people that are not "religious" work all the time and they may not worry if they are the friendliest of people but their brains mean everything to them.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 12:57 pm
@cross505,
cross505 wrote:
it could be because people that are "religious" put God first no matter what so people that are not "religious" work all the time and they may not worry if they are the friendliest of people but their brains mean everything to them.

Do you find people who are not religious to be less friendly?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:34 pm
Among the many types of people there are those who think that (1) "there is me and others but no God," (2) "there is me, others and God," and (3) "there is only God." I prefer to be the last.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:15 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Among the many types of people there are those who think that (1) "there is me and others but no God," (2) "there is me, others and God," and (3) "there is only God." I prefer to be the last.

Reminds me of the last lines of Twain's, "The Mysterious Stranger":

"It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream - a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought - a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!"

He vanished, and left me appalled; for I knew, and realized, that all he had said was true.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:25 pm
@rosborne979,
I don't know what there actually is. I have my ontological dreams, as we all do minute by minute. But whatever actually exists I dream that it is a unity and it's absolute--that is to say it is all there is.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:51 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
I don't know what there actually is. I have my ontological dreams, as we all do minute by minute. But whatever actually exists I dream that it is a unity and it's absolute--that is to say it is all there is.

Hi JL, it still sounds a lot like Twain to me Wink

By the way, if you haven't read The Mysterious Stranger, I recommend it. You can find it online here: http://www.shsu.edu/~eng_wpf/authors/Twain/Mysterious-Stranger.htm
JLNobody

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:15 pm
@rosborne979,
Thanks, Ros. As soon as I have some time I'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:46 am
@rosborne979,
http://twainquotes.com/God.html
Twain's opinions sound like a lot of the opinions I've heard expressed here only he is not so sure and all knowing as some.
Seems to me true scientists are always going to be questioning and searching for the truth. Is it possible there are things beyond our comprehension?
Francis

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:07 am
AuroraII wrote:
Is it possible there are things beyond our comprehension?
I can see some that are beyond your comprehension, even without seeking too much..
fresco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:28 am
@Francis,
....given the use of "true" and "truth" above ! Smile
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:04 pm
Hi Francis
Francis

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:07 pm
@auroreII,
May peace and blessings be upon you..
JLNobody

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:12 pm
@Francis,
For that (i.e., the peace) we must await our death. At least that's one of my dreams (as stated in my signature line).
Narcisus
Francis

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:14 pm
@JLNobody,
So, you wanna take the peace out of me?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:34 pm
@Francis,
Pax thread informaticum, ergo pax A2K familiarum Wink
Francis

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,