Seeking information on funding for women in film/video

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:47 pm
I am looking for information, address, web links, ideas (what ever) on granting sources that provide grants to women in the field of film and video.

I have a female friend who has established a business that provides video and other media services to small and medium sized museums and museum related non-profit organization. She has set up her business has a public non profit to allow her to apply for grants either independently or in partnership with small non profits which have limited grant apply experiences.

Her products are widely admired but she is having difficulty getting funding.
First, as a single independent woman she finds many local (southern New England) granting foundations do not take her seriously
Second she has a disability that does not affect her intellectually but has affected her health as a result she has been subject to some outrageous stereotyping.
Thirdly she has had copy write problems, many non-profits assume they can take her ideas and develop them on their own without compensating her.

After an initial good start she has found increasing resistance from local grant providers who seem to be reluctant to back her assuming, she will ultimately fail.

As a result her business is now doing poorly. She could use information on foundations or other granting sources that provide capitalization funds for women starting art and museum related businesses, (or just business in general) technical assistance grants to up grade equipment (computers, cameras the like), or granting foundations/agencies that would be willing to fund specific projects.

I would appreciate and be thankful for any ideas or information anyone might provide.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,384 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:47 pm
Hi Acquijunk! Sounds like your friend is having some fundraising troubles. Here are a couple Google results that may prove useful in your effort to help her.

Grants for Women Film Makers

Also, not specific to grants for filmmaking, the information in these websites might help her polish her marketing effort to better her success rate for obtaining grants.

Fundraising for special events on-line class

http://www.fundraiser-software.com/fundclass/fctop020.html

Guide to Special Event Fundraising

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/pc-cp/pubs/e/Specev1.htm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:52 pm
Also, this site looks like it has lots of resources bundled into an independent film makers network that she may find helpful.

http://www.indieclub.com/links/filmmaking.asp
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 12:38 pm
Thank you for the response and links Butrflynet
0 Replies

Maxell

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:42 am
ooo fun the copyright issue....

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

http://www.uspto.gov/

you can try those web pages they should help, when i do something i have a written agreement with the client with signatures from my company and the client and its dated this way i have proof and can take the people to court if it occurs but alot of the time if you speak up and mention to the people using your work they give you credit. If you have it legally copywrited depending on the situation you can bring them into court. (thats one way to get funding... jk)

funding is hard as well, what type of filming does she do?

hope i helped alittle

kelli
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:46 am
Hi Maxwell. Welcome to A2K. Judging from your profile, you'll feel right at home here. We have a rather large community of artists and writers here.

Give a yell if you need any help navigating the hallways here.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:52 am
Maxwell, thankyou for the links. Unfortunately it is not has simple as aasking for people to stop. What is goi9ng on is that there is a group that is trying to run my friend out of bussines or at least put her in a position where she will be forced to sell her copyright to them. They have nearly succeeded as she has been cut off from all local funding and granting agencies but public and private. The method is slander and it is very nasty. We are looking out side the local area for funding trying to find alternative sources, direct appeal to rich donor's etc but it is difficult and to a degree humiliating, because the first question you are asked is "why don't you appy to the XYZ foundation?" The are two underlying problems her my friend is female and she has a disablity and with that combination many people do not take you seriously and literally think they can take things from you.. As a white male who has had it realitively easy by comparison this has been an eye opener for me.
0 Replies

Maxell

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:07 pm
ouch that is harsh, its agrivating when no one takes you seriously, especially when you are devoted to it. I can sympathize with your friend with the not being take seriously because i am pretty young, but it sunds like your friends having a harder time,

http://www.lib.msu.edu/harris23/grants/3film.htm

i hope things work out with your friend im rooting for her!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:49 pm
Thank you for the link Maxell
0 Replies